Windows 7 - which antivirus?

That is complete horseshit.

Viruses/trojans/worms do not just come through file downloads.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/935423.mspx

to name ONE from a massive list of remote exploits that do not require the user to actively download a file but instead can be gleaned from simply browsing page which can easily be hidden as an iframe redirect on any web page.

I hate this uninformed shit people speak about "I am careful what I download so I don't need security packages".

Yes, Gavin.

Complete horseshit. That's why not ONE THING has passed through the stock Windows Firewall (hell, I even disable Windows Defender.)

It's also about steering clear of websites like that.. Derp

Yes, Gavin.

Complete horseshit. That's why not ONE THING has passed through the stock Windows Firewall (hell, I even disable Windows Defender.)

It's also about steering clear of websites like that.. Derp

The hilarious thing is I am currently partaking in one of the information security industry's most demanding, intensive certifications on enterprise level network/machine penetration, exploit development and vulnerability assessment in order to expose flaws and get them patched before malicious attackers can find them.

In the last 24 hours, I have penetrated, installed discrete trojans/backdoors on and patched multiple vulnerabilities on machines of multiple OS that are much better protected than yours in the Labs... INCLUDING XSS related hidden iframes that dispatch malware to an unsuspecting user... So yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and just to add the icing to the cake... this is not the 1990s, the aim of viruses, and other assorted malware are not to delete files or cause a disturbance... but to rather sit hidden gleaning private information such as credit card numbers or other private details... OR, to simply keep the machine as part of a botnet sold out to Russian crime syndicates...

And yeah, Windows Firewall is one of the most easily fooled protection schemes in existence.

Don't get me a wrong, I don't give a shit about your computer or what you choose to (irresponsibly) do with it. My concern is that your stupidity and arrogance could be putting others at risk.

And how the hell do you know what "Sites like that are"?

With XSS alone, ANY site is vulnerable and able to serve malware given appropriate conditions that are not identified by the site owners nearly as quickly as you'd hope.

In the last 24 hours, I have penetrated, installed discrete trojans/backdoors on...

Damn you got me hot with that :lol:

and Jesse, buddy, Gavin's right dude. It has almost next to nothing to do with what you choose to download anymore. Get some antivirus for your pc or whatever, otherwise people here will treat you like you have leprosy when you go to post anything with a pic / link / clip / etc ...

The hilarious thing is I am currently partaking in one of the information security industry's most demanding, intensive certifications on enterprise level network/machine penetration, exploit development and vulnerability assessment in order to expose flaws and get them patched before malicious attackers can find them.

In the last 24 hours, I have penetrated, installed discrete trojans/backdoors on and patched multiple vulnerabilities on machines of multiple OS that are much better protected than yours in the Labs... INCLUDING XSS related hidden iframes that dispatch malware to an unsuspecting user... So yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and just to add the icing to the cake... this is not the 1990s, the aim of viruses, and other assorted malware are not to delete files or cause a disturbance... but to rather sit hidden gleaning private information such as credit card numbers or other private details... OR, to simply keep the machine as part of a botnet sold out to Russian crime syndicates...

And yeah, Windows Firewall is one of the most easily fooled protection schemes in existence.

Don't get me a wrong, I don't give a shit about your computer or what you choose to (irresponsibly) do with it. My concern is that your stupidity and arrogance could be putting others at risk.

I have to ask, are you working under any of Risto Siilasmaa's projects?
My dad worked closely with f-secure and some other Finnish company owned by Risto that was involved in(They demonstrated BlueSniper and whatnot.).

Its pretty insane how easy it is to get in to someone else computer..
.. And i have all the tools to do it! ;)

I have to ask, are you working under any of Risto Siilasmaa's projects?
My dad worked closely with f-secure and some other Finnish company owned by Risto that was involved in(They demonstrated BlueSniper and whatnot.).

Its pretty insane how easy it is to get in to someone else computer..
.. And i have all the tools to do it! ;)

Nope, but going job hunting at Codenomicon as soon as I'm done with my degree next year.

F-Secure if you are prepared to pay for it.

And prepared to deal with a fuckload of 3rd party drivers and applications randomly stop working without any reason :puke:

F-Secure always was a pain in the ass at my university. Sometimes an update blocked JTAGICE from working, sometimes it prevented USB drivers for embedded system development kits from loading, sometimes it screwed up the data transfers between the PC and development board, and many a time did it slow down everything to a crawl, and never finding anything at all. We even had a major autoplay virus epidemic that F-Secure was blissfully oblivious to :bah: Even the IT department hated F-Secure :lol: Needless to say, they decided to stop using F-Secure, but I graduated before I heard which alternative they chose. This was 3 months ago with a full updated, licenced, F-Secure on some 2000+ computer network spanning three major universities in as many cities in this region.

tl;dr :lol:

Don't really care enough to argue with you. I've never had a virus, never will, I'll never use an anti-virus, and I could give two flying fuckshits if my 'stupidity and arrogance' are putting you at risk. Quit crying.

Don't really care enough to argue with you. I've never had a virus, never will, I'll never use an anti-virus, and I could give two flying fuckshits if my 'stupidity and arrogance' are putting you at risk. Quit crying.

he did say that viruses are not mostly about disruption nowadays. Your computer not freezing up with a "LOL i virused you" flashing on the screen doesn't mean you don't have a virus. The business has moved on from lonely anarchist geeks to organised crime syndicates selling personal information en masse

Just when I thought your ignorance could not hit new heights... Well done.

Nope, but going job hunting at Codenomicon as soon as I'm done with my degree next year.

And prepared to deal with a fuckload of 3rd party drivers and applications randomly stop working without any reason :puke:

F-Secure always was a pain in the ass at my university. Sometimes an update blocked JTAGICE from working, sometimes it prevented USB drivers for embedded system development kits from loading, sometimes it screwed up the data transfers between the PC and development board, and many a time did it slow down everything to a crawl, and never finding anything at all. We even had a major autoplay virus epidemic that F-Secure was blissfully oblivious to :bah: Even the IT department hated F-Secure :lol: Needless to say, they decided to stop using F-Secure, but I graduated before I heard which alternative they chose. This was 3 months ago with a full updated, licenced, F-Secure on some 2000+ computer network spanning three major universities in as many cities in this region.

What you are describing seems more typical to their version that some ISP's around the world give out to their customers for free.. its a stripped down piece of shit that couldnt even remove the simplest viruses.

Ive installed F-Secure on at least 50 different computers without any problems what so ever.. my dad has installed it on at least 5000 computers without many hiccups(Of course there are some on that quantity.).
I know F-Secure have a toolkit to create "advanced setups", maybe the guys at your old university fucked something up there that went along on their disk clones?

Anyways, all i know is that i have been using F-Secure for as long as i can remember without any problems at all.. ive heard that the older versions had problems removing trojans that changes names, but apparently it could put them in quarantine without any problems(And from there it could be removed.).

It would be kind of stupid to argue against him about it, since you dont know for shit if you have a virus or not. ;)

Just to be harsh: Where you not a victim of identity theft? Malicious software is probably the most commonly used method to steal someones identity.. so yeah, good luck with that one.

In the end, i dont care if you have a malware infected computer or not, its not my problem.
(And no, without any software protecting it you wont know if it is infected or not.)