winds

Why don't you buy the albums and support the artists in stead of stealing from them????

They will not be able to continue making great music if everyone downloads their songs for free. In stead they will have to start working at McDonald's and then you can keep on listening to mass produced music from major record labels if you prefer that.

you can find virtually anything on audiogalaxy...as far as supporting artist, i can't! good cd's aren't available here, and i can't order online because i don't have a credit card...

even if i could buy them online, i wouldn't unless i knew it was worth the money...mp3's enable you to do that

Originally posted by bleed for me
good cd's aren't available here
Why don't you order from HMV? they can get things like In The Woods, usually within a few weeks, even the Asian outlets. And on Nathan Rd in the basement of one of the big mall type buildings there is (last year anyway) a guy that runs a kind of indie metal store, lots of used and harder to find cds.

"even if i could buy them online, i wouldn't unless i knew it was worth the money...mp3's enable you to do that"

BUT YOU ARE NOT SEEING THE BIG PICTURE HERE!!!
IF NO ONE BUYS THE CD's DO YOU THINK THE MUSIC WILL JUST KEEP ON COMING? NO... IF EVERYONE DOWNLOADED THE MUSIC FOR FREE ON MP3 THEN THE BANDS WILL QUIT BECAUSE NO ONE CAN MAKE MUSIC FOR FREE.

Studio expenses cost thousands of dollars, instruments cost money, and not to mention the artists need to make a living, or else they will have no time to put their gifted and creative minds into it. They will be busy worrying about how to pay their bills, which I'm sure they already are.

If you think you are gaining something by stealing the bands music from mp3, then you are wrong. Very wrong!!! In the big picture you are just contributing to their downfall.

Actually, the label makes money from record sales.
The band makes the majority of their money off merchandise.

A high proportion of UK bands get 1-3 pounds a full-length record sold, most US bands get $4 from it.

Not a good way to make money..

I don't know where you get those sums from, but they have no base in reality what so ever. Most bands make around $1 per album sold, and if they are lucky they make up towards $1.50, but sales royalties are always counted after the recording budgets are recouped, which means they get NOTHING for the first 5000 albums sold if the album cost $5000 to make because they have to pay for the cost of making their album from their royalties. Ask any member of any band and they will tell you this is how it works. If bands got as much as $dollars per album sold then they would make a decent living, but they don't.

It is also rediculous that bands should base their income on merchandise. It's the music that is important, and that should be what makes them a decent living in my opinion. Merchandise is mostly for bands that go on tour, and excellent bands such as Arcturus or Winds are not touring bands, hence will not be able to market merchandise like touring bands do. These types of bands are the ones that make no money, and look where Arcturus is today... one more album and they will call it quits for good. IT IS SAD, and it is largely due to the mass spreading of MP3 around the globe. So if you downloaders think you gained anything... think again.