"Wings of Forever" REVIEWS!!

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Starting off with Strutter 'Zine (Holland) www.strutter.8m.com

I'll be linking all these in the review section of the PQ site in due course

WINGS OF FOREVER-POWER QUEST (UNDERGROUND SYMPHONY RECORDS)

Some time ago I reviewed a demo CDR of this British band, and I knew back then already that their first full-length CD would turn out to be a big sounding high class record. And indeed, 'Wings of forever' is a fantastic sensational high class melodic Power Metal record that can easily compete with any of the European (German, Swedish and Italian) bands, such as RHAPSODY, FREEDOM CALL, LABYRINTH… There are 10 tracks on the CD, and the fantastic production was done by Karl Groom from THRESHOLD. Most of the songs are fast uptempo but very melodic and catchy Power Metal pieces in the best European tradition. POWER QUEST is one of the very first UK bands to play this style, and they do it very well. Highlights on the CD are the fast uptempo melodic Power Metal tracks "Far away" (lovely intro with the harmonyvocals, and a very catchy song), "Power Quest (Part 1)" (great catchy almost AORish chorus, song itself has a pure German Metalsound), "Beyond the stars" and "Follow your heart" and finally, the beautiful AOR/Melodic Rockballad "Immortal plains" that reminds me a bit of TEN. Conclusion is simple, because every true Power Metal fan must own this CD, so get your copy a.s.a.p.!

(Points: 9.0 out of 10)

Here's what Dan at Into Obsurity thought......

http://www.into-obscurity.com/reviews/review.asp?id=703

Review:
While England can be heralded for being the land that spawned heavy metal with bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden (arguably, you can go back even further than that). Since then, the country has been pushed into obscurity somewhat as far as metal output, being overshadowed by Scandinavian countries like Norway, Sweden and Finland. Power Quest are a blast from the past, playing a very melodic style of power metal akin to bands like Stratovarius or Rhapsody. The songs are very upbeat, with sing-a-long choruses and a very triumphant air to the entire thing. The guitar work is great, staying basic during most of the song but really breaking out during the chorus. On top of that, Power Quest features a keyboardist that stands up with the best of them in this genre. The keyboardist can actually hold his own in the lead work and often trades off solos or harmonizes solos along with the guitar. He also creates a great kingly atmosphere for the very epic songs that Power Quest write. The frontman has a very strong voice.
If sword fights, dragons and fantasy tales draw your attention, Power Quest are a band you might want to look in to. While they haven't yet garnered the attention of more prominent bands like Rhapsody, they do things just as well.

Grade:
77/100

Another excellent review ....... and totally well deserved!! I think he likes your keyboard skills Symphony....and so he should!!!

All Power to the Quest!!

The Dragon Maiden

:Shedevil:

Here here!!!!!!

I'll second that, dragonmaiden!!!!!!
You see Steve, I told you that you were an exceptional keyboardist and you were as good as Tuomas of Nightwish. :)

Congratulations dude!!!!!!
Seems like just nearly most of the reviews for the album are postive!!!!!! :)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
"every true Power Metal fan must own this CD"

I'm a true Power Metal fan! I own that cd! :headbang: :D

Heh, I'm a part-time Power Metal than and even I own that CD! :D

Very nice review!
I can some words in german..but I ain't good in german..:)
I do understand some sentences here though..:

"Eine majestätisch-schöne Keyboardarbeit"

Amazing majestic Keyboard work! :D :headbang:

NP: Power Quest - Freedom of Though

Do we know how much of a following PowerQuest has overseas? It would make sense for you guys to be quite popular in Italy seeing as Alessio and Andrea are from there, plus they dig this kinda music a whole lot, don't they?

The Korean/Japanese release seems to be getting quite a lot of promotion over there which is great. The guy who runs our Japanese fan site has made some 60 second sample clips of some songs available and that seems to be really popular.

Here's the link to a review at "pretties for you" website. Reviewed by Wooks

http://people.freenet.de/prettiesforyou/cd.htm#r

POWER QUEST
Wings Of Forever
(Underground Symphony / Rock Inc)

Power Quest are a new power metal band from the UK and here is their debut offering “Wings of Forever”. The band was formed by keyboard player Steve Williams after he had left Dragonheart, now Dragonforce. He recruited former Shadowkeep, Dragonforce member Steve Scott to take over the bass duties and Sam Totman, who remains with Dragonforce to guest on guitars for this superb album. Adam Bickers, guitars, and the superb voice of Alessio Garavello and Andrea Martongelli guitars complete the line up.
This album is a very slick and polished debut album. The songs are well crafted and performed with the speed and precession of a highly tuned engine. The songs are very catchy, melodic and some are bordering on classic power metal anthems, namely “Far Away” and “Power Quest”. The thing that I enjoyed about this album is the fact that Steve’s keyboards have been brought to the front of the mix. Normally you find that sometimes keyboards are seemed to be used as a background and rhythm instrument, but on this they are right up in the final mix, and Steve even gets to do “solos” during the songs which is cool. Alessio’s vocal talents are a superb addition and come to the front on the beautiful “ballard” “Immortal Plains” with guest vocalist Tina Groom. They compliment the overall sound of melodic keyboards, power drum and bass and a shred fest of speed guitar work. This is a fantastic debut album and should be added to your power metal collection without doubt. 8.2 out of 10 points.

Here's the latest review in from Metal Ireland 'zine

http://www.metalireland.com/nrev/pquest.html

I have linked it in the reviews section on the PQ site.

Power Quest "Wings of Forever"
Hailing from the same land as Iron Maiden, Power Quest are one of the new breed of Speed Power Metal bands currently doing the rounds in mainland Europe and, more recently, the UK itself. Along with with UK peers DragonForce, Intense and Shadowkeep, these new bands are playing Heavy Metal the way it’s supposed to be – fast, heavy, melodic and with cutting edge musicianship and production. For a while there we were getting worried about the country responsible for the NWOBHM movement, but it looks like NWOBHM Part 2 is on the way, helped along by the Bloodstock festival and the PowerPlay publication.

So how good is “Wings of Forever”? Well, I think the fact that I couldn’t get it out of my CD player for a full week speaks volumes about the release! This is possibly the catchiest and most addictive Metal album I’ve ever heard, and that’s saying something considering the number of CD’s from this genre in my collection. It is easy to get into, uplifting, fast and will really have you banging your head and singing along in no time at all with power metal anthems like “Far Away” and “Follow your Heart”. Each song provides a hook laden experience. Along with duelling guitars, melodic vocals and progressive sounding keyboard flourishes (taking precedence over the guitars in places) this album is very close to being on a par with bigger European bands like Sonata Arctica, Freedom Call, Stratovarius, Vision Divine and Gamma Ray, only with Power Quest nearly every song is played at breakneck speed! All quite surprising considering this is a british band. Special note should to go to the excellent keyboard and guitar instrumental sections in the song “Power Quest – Part 1”.

Combined with its addictive nature, this compulsive hyperspeeding beast also sports a commendable production at the hands of Karl Groom (of progressive Metal band Threshold) at the Thin Ice Studios. Drums, keys, vocals and guitars are all crystal clear, and it all certainly sounds as good as something produced by the well known German, Finnish or Swedish studios. As for quandaries, well sometimes the guitar tone could have been a bit thicker and more rounded and this is especially apparent during some of the leads, where it sounds a little thin. However, most of the leads sound great. One other problem I had with the album was that sometimes the drums sound somewhat linear, and the drummer does not seem eager to experiment with the patterns much, preferring instead to stick to a very definite structure. Thanks to the crystal clear production, these issues do not take much from the overall sound.

Whilst Power Quest could never be accused of reinventing the wheel, they certainly know how to put their own spin on things by playing faster and catchier than anyone else. While this may not be to everyones taste it is a damn fine CD from a band destined to find success among fans of the genre.

4.2 / 5. -Colin Callanan ::: 14/12/02

Here's the latest review from Nick and Christine at "Behind the Veil" Ezine

http://www.geocities.com/behind_the_veil2001/b1.html#POWER QUEST

POWER QUEST
Wings Of Forever
(Underground Symphony)
Well that's something rare! Listening to bands from England playing power metal is not something we get to see often. Especially when we are talking about a band that's trying really hard and worths to be mentioned. I know Power Quest (and quite many of you that read this review now) from their self-titled demo. Now, a year (more or less) later we find them signed to Underground Symphony and presenting us a great power metal album, which I have to say the more I listen to the more I grow to like it. It's an amazing, quality album for the power metallers. Throughout the whole album they gave me a EUROPE sense (as my brother correctly noticed this is how Europe would sound if they played power metal!). Except for Europe they reminded me of Helloween, Iron Maiden and Stratovarius. I don't think there's anything else I should add...The production is very good and the artwork is simply awesome! Don't hesitate!

*8.5/10
Christine "azriel" Parastatidou