"Wings of Forever" REVIEWS!!

"I have to admit that after the first listen, I wasn't impressed. They sounded like a Rhapsody copycat. But after I heard through the record a couple of times, it didn't sound that much like Rhapsody. It's obvious that this band also have alot in common with Freedom Call and Stratovarius.
Specially the guitar playing and the vocals is impressive on this album. I mean, every member plays their instrument well, but the guitars is awesome.
Allesio Garavello is a great vocalist, and with amazing songs like "Glory Tonight" will Power Quest get far, but time will show.
I also have mention the producer on this album. It's Karl Groom from Threshold, and I must say that he has done a great job.
This debut album is absolutely recommended, but hear through the record a couple of times, to find out how good it really is.

Reasons to say yes : If you're a fan of Rhapsody, Freedom Call, Stratovarius etc, this is a MUST buy.

Reasons to say no : Do we actually need more bands within this genre? "

My english suck, but this is pretty much what he has written about your debut.. :)

NP: Stratovarius - Agains the Wind

A review of "Wings of forever" will appear in the next number of (january/february) Scream Magazine.
I will translate it, and post it on the board as fast as I can dude :)

NP: Edguy - Wake up the King :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Here's a transcription of what Terrorizer magazine had to say about the album.

"The plushly packaged debut of a new British power metal troupe would ordinarily result in squeals of unfettered delight round my way, but Power Quest ended up having to share stereo space with the new Stratovarius album, and unfairly suffered a little when played alongside the Finnish prodigies ninth masterpiece.

However, putting such impossible competition to one side, "Wings of Forever" is a highly promising debut for a band with only a 2 track demo behind them. The title track is an enthusiastically catchy opener and while the production is good and clear, the drums get rather buried in the mix. Also DragonForce's phenomenally gifted vocalist ZP filled in on the demo, and while new guy Alessio has a sturdy set of pipes (showcased best on "Freedom of Thought", but not so good on the ballad) I can't help preferring the old version of Glory tonight.

I'm splitting hairs really, this is an impressive European style power metal album that tears along like a pack of gleaming dragsters, unearthing soime magnificent choruses and excellent solos along the way. Can't wait to see them live!"

7.5/10 Chris Chantler

Incidentally, the Strato album got 6/10 from one guy and 8 from Chris.

And in English

To listen to a title of this album When English starts to make of Power metal (it is very rare, it should be said), that gives Power Quest a group to crossroads between Heavenly and Sonata Arctica for the song and the side speed, Freedom Call for the epic facet and Rhapsody for the symphonic point. But paradoxical thing, in the final analysis despite everything these references, it appears that Power Quest made above all Power Quest and that "Wings of forever" is an album with whole share. After the opening Malmsteenienne "Prelude to Destiny", the serious things start with the title track, a fast piece, very speed metal but which is far from being best album. The keyboards are there too ahead with my taste often covering the parts of guitars and putting the song in withdrawal. It is a pity bus Alessio is equipped with a register of voice very powerful and melody recalling sometimes on acute the Ben Sotto (Heavenly). The following title, "Far Away" starts on a epic key in Freedom Call with its intro all in vocal harmonies. This melody piece in the pure tradition power Metal takes seat without sorrow among my favourites. The refrain is effective and the play of the six cords is essential by its technicality. It should be said that the group is equipped with a trio of guitars (Sam, Andreas and Adam), which helps. After "Glory Tonight"qui fits in the same vein that the precedent, one connects on the pillar of this opus" Power Quest (share 1)"a title of a pure beauty which does not have really anything to envy the current European productions. Large Germanic sound for the riffs, Scandinavian subtlety Stratovarius way in the melody lines, refrain and choruses worthy of Hammerfall. In short, a piece which leaves the batch and gives really a very positive image of this young group of which it is nevertheless the first album, it should be pointed out. Then it is with the turn of "Beyond the Stars" a piece worthy of T Tolkki by its alternation solos of guitare/claviers (Steve cheer), followed by a ballade "Immortal Plains" very very FM with a first voix/piano part and a doubling of the song way variety. It is "pretty", "nice" and commercial but not memorable or rather not relevant in this album. However to be honest, it is necessary all the same to note a very beautiful performance of Alessio on this piece and a better treatment of the sound of the guitars which are much ahead than on the remainder of the album. Power, it is what comes out from "Follow your heart" after the lull of the ballade, the piece comes to give again a tonality Power Metal with the album, a little in the kind of "Apocalyptica "of Sonata Arctica to locate. The Clavier/guitares dialogue also is successful the most there of the opus in my opinion. More than two pieces: "Freedom of though" a long title of 7 min always very speed and "Distant lands" small instrumental all in smoothness "Wings of forever "can now fly away towards its celestial destiny... To conclude, not of long speeches: Power Quest is the good surprise of this month. "Wings of forever" is a good first album, there very promising for this young English group and you are not likely anything to go to throw an ear and even both if you are fans of Melodic Power metal.

This just in from www.obskure.com (in French)

Ecouter un titre de cet album

Quand les anglais se mettent à faire du Power metal ( c'est très rare, il faut le dire) , cela donne Power Quest un groupe à la croisée des chemins entre Heavenly et Sonata Arctica pour le chant et le côté speed, Freedom Call pour la facette épique et Rhapsody pour la pointe symphonique . Mais chose paradoxale, en fin de compte malgré toutes ces références, il apparaît que Power Quest fait avant tout du Power Quest et que "Wings of forever" est un album à part entière.

Après l' ouverture Malmsteenienne "Prelude to Destiny", les choses sérieuses commencent avec le titre track, un morceau rapide, très speed metal mais qui est loin d'être le meilleur de l'album. Les claviers y sont trop en avant à mon goût couvrant souvent les parties de guitares et mettant le chant en retrait. C'est dommage car Alessio est doté d'un registre de voix très puissant et mélodique rappelant parfois sur les aigus Ben Sotto ( Heavenly).
Le titre suivant, "Far Away" démarre sur une touche épique à la Freedom Call avec son intro toute en harmonies vocales. Ce morceau mélodique dans la pure tradition power Metal prend place sans peine parmi mes favoris. Le refrain est efficace et le jeu des six cordes s'impose par sa technicité. Il faut dire que le groupe est doté d'un trio de guitares ( Sam, Andreas et Adam) , ce qui aide.
Après un "Glory Tonight"qui s'inscrit dans la même veine que le précédent, on enchaîne sur LE pilier de cet opus "Power Quest ( part 1)" un titre d'une pure beauté qui n'a vraiment rien à envier aux productions européennes actuelles. Gros son germanique pour les riffs, subtilité scandinave façon Stratovarius dans les lignes mélodiques, refrain et choeurs dignes d'Hammerfall. Bref, un morceau qui sort du lot et donne réellement une image très positive de ce jeune groupe dont c'est quand même le premier album, il faut le rappeler.
Puis c'est au tour de "Beyond the Stars" un morceau digne de T. Tolkki par son alternance solos de guitare/claviers ( bravo Steve) , suivi d'une ballade "Immortal Plains" très très FM avec une première partie voix/piano et un doublage du chant façon variété. C'est "joli", "gentil" et commercial mais pas mémorable ou plutôt pas pertinent dans cet album. Cependant pour être honnête, il faut tout de même noter une très belle performance d'Alessio sur ce morceau et un meilleur traitement du son des guitares qui sont bien plus en avant que sur le reste de l'album.
Puissance, c'est ce qui ressort de "Follow your heart" après l'accalmie de la ballade, le morceau vient redonner une tonalité Power Metal à l'album, un peu dans le genre d'"Apocalyptica" de Sonata Arctica pour situer. Le dialogue Clavier/guitares y est aussi le plus réussi de l'opus selon moi.
Plus que deux morceaux: "Freedom of though" un long titre de 7 min toujours très speed et "Distant lands" un petit instrumental tout en finesse ."Wings of forever" peut maintenant s'envoler vers sa destinée céleste...

Pour conclure, pas de longs discours: Power Quest est la bonne surprise de ce mois. "Wings of forever" est un bon premier album, très prometteur pour ce jeune groupe anglais et vous ne risquez rien d'aller y jeter une oreille et même les deux si vous êtes fans de Melodic Power metal.

Just in from www.heavymetaluniverse.com

POWER QUEST Wings of forever heavy speed (2002 - Underground Symphony)

Created in 2001 by the keyboard player Steve Williams, Power Quest belongs to the quality heavy metal trend. Everything on the album is nicely done: the compositions are not really original but still they have a pleasant rhythm, the guitar soli are really good, the vocals are in full connection with the "power quest" feeling sought by the band, the chorus are going to make your heart pound faster... Well so far so good as when we listen to this album we fancy ourselves in a battlefield riding a steed, steel in hand ready to fight... brilliant! Influences shine through: Stratovarius for the keyboards and guitar soli perfecly linked (Glory tonight), Freedom Call -especially the intro of "Far Away"- Hammerfal (Power Quest). As a conclusion let us say that that the lack of originality is the only flaw we can find to this band. We would like to hear more personal songs - as they try to do with "Immortal Plains", and its more original edge, even though the general feeling sounds deja-vu. If you are an 'old-school' heavy metal fan, well do not hesitate and buy this album, but if you are looking for originality and if you already have the genre's classics (Stratovarius, Hammerfall...) well you can do without it... (translated into english by Jérôme) 4/6

Lliane

That's not a bad review, but to quote: "if you are looking for originality and if you already have the genre's classics (Stratovarius, Hammerfall...) well you can do without it"... I think that is hysterical.

Surely Hammerfall are the absolute least original band in the genre, almost bordering "traditional" metal, and barely qualifying as tr00 power metal, as say, bands like Angra, Edguy, or PQ.

By the way, the new update to the AA site is going up in the next few days. I'll keep you posted - it will include the Wings of Forever review and Interview, amongst other pieces, such as my interview with Jens Ludwig.

A new interview with the Edguy guitarist? That's great! Looking forward to reading it.. and of course the Power Quest review.

NP: Blackmore's Night - Fires at Midnight

Yeah - I promise to post here to let you guys know when it's up and running. These xmas breaks have got the publishing teams running around a bit so we're a *little* delayed.