Wireless Keyboard & Mouse problem ...

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Ummm yeah so this is bullshit but anyway ... I just got a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse (comfort desktop 5000), installed software no problem but nothing works. Here's the thing ... I plug in my little 2.4 ghz usb transceiver that comes with it, harware wizard tells me "new hardware found" and lists the name but says it can't install cause it can't find the software. Meanwhile the fucking software disc is in the drive and I keep telling it to look there and it says there is nothing there. This thing should just be plug & play so I can't understand why its not working. Checked hardware devices and its listed there with the big yellow question mark and yet nothing I do seems to work. I also tried plugging it into the other 5 open usb spots on my pc. I'm running Win XP Pro service pack 2

Anyone able to help? JBroll??????

Will it let you open the disc and install the software manually? I mean from "My Computer" or Explorer instead of through the New Hardware Wizard?

Yup. Thats what I did. Software for the keyboard and mouse installed with no problem. There is no software for the little transceiver though, its supposed to be just straight up plug in and go. I tried hunting around on microsofts site also and nothing. The only thing the pc is having an issue with is the transceiver

I also should add that I just noticed the keyboard will work before my OS loads. That is, I can use it to enter BIOS and move around etc ... as soon as I continue on to loading windows and my desktop appears..... nothing

I'm guessing it has to be some kind of setting in my OS or something like that cause I wouldn't even know what to look for in BIOS

em... quick question - have you rebooted?

also try removing the keyboard and mouse from your processor, do a reboot and plug em in when the login screen pops up (make sure you dont have any other mice/keys plugged in)

try doing a driver update (through windows hardware) not on the disc

are the batteries okay?

have you tried them on another computer without installing drivers etc? (most of the time drivers are just for extra key options like media keys)

em... quick question - have you rebooted?

also try removing the keyboard and mouse from your processor, do a reboot and plug em in when the login screen pops up (make sure you dont have any other mice/keys plugged in)

try doing a driver update (through windows hardware) not on the disc

are the batteries okay?

have you tried them on another computer without installing drivers etc? (most of the time drivers are just for extra key options like media keys)

yes, I rebooted. Also uninstalled and reinstalled everything. It all comes down to this fucking little usb transceiver. Hardware manager sees is, tries to install it and then tells me to go fuck myself. But like I said, the thing driving me nuts is that it DOES work before my OS boots up. If I reboot when the usb stick is in, I can use the keyboard to enter BIOS and navigate through the menus. As soon as I allow it to to finish booting up it goes througyh the whole "new hardware found, install" bullshit and the keyboard & mouse aren't working. Going into device manager does nothing except mock me with the little yellow question mark.:confused:

that sucks man

i recently dropped $35 on a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo...i plugged the transmitter into my USB port, hit the red connect buttons on the keyboard and mouse, and was good to go. no software installs or any of that BS.

What exactly does the yellow question mark say? I mean, if you right click on it in the device manager and then you click "properties" what exactly does it say? Driver issues?

Did you install the driver before plugging in the first time?

What exactly does the yellow question mark say? I mean, if you right click on it in the device manager and then you click "properties" what exactly does it say? Driver issues?

Did you install the driver before plugging in the first time?

it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I tried countless times now to get it to install whatever it says it needs from the install disc that came with the board & mouse. It goes through the motions and then tells me the software could not be found. I even browsed through the disc directly and found a sub folder with a bunch of driver folders and pointed it to the one that says "trans32" which I figured would be the one for the transceiver ... nothing

and yes, the 1st thing I did was install the software. Again though I should mention, it does seem to work before my OS loads, which tells me the transceiver is working, cause I can use the wireless board to enter BIOS and navigate, its only after I tell it to go to windows that it no longer works

another thing ... nowhere on the box or anywhere else does it say "bluetooth" but the only infor I can find on Google anywhere keeps mentioning bluetooth stuff. I'll be the 1st to confess I know nothing about setting anything like that up on my pc but if I go into Control Panel I don't see anything that relates to Bluetooth. Besides, having just downloaded and installed SP3, shouldn't any of that software or whatever be part of all that?

Ok so I just brought the board & mouse into work and installed exactly the same way as on my home pc ... everything works perfect. Same OS, same service pack, etc ...

fuck me

it HAS to be some kind of internal setting somewhere on my home pc. Its a Rain Recording Solstice and I know they do all sorts of little tweaks to everything to optimize it for audio recording. Guess my only option now is to get in touch with them which I hate doing cause the customer service guy I've had to deal with so far is a dick

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for trying to help out, I really appreciate it

Cheers!
-Carlos

okay - try uninstall it, drivers and everything and boot your windows machine into safe mode,

when in safe mode make sure the new drivers are uninstalled, then find your old keyboard and mouse (pending they have installation drivers too) and uninstall them in safe mode and un-plug them. after that re-boot again into safe-mode and plug in your new wireless gear (DO NOT INSTALL DRIVERS - just plug them in and try sync them) check everything works - if it does then re-boot into regular windows land and install the drivers - if it doesn't then go get drunk and wreck microsoft's HQ

okay - try uninstall it, drivers and everything and boot your windows machine into safe mode,

when in safe mode make sure the new drivers are uninstalled, then find your old keyboard and mouse (pending they have installation drivers too) and uninstall them in safe mode and un-plug them. after that re-boot again into safe-mode and plug in your new wireless gear (DO NOT INSTALL DRIVERS - just plug them in and try sync them) check everything works - if it does then re-boot into regular windows land and install the drivers - if it doesn't then go get drunk and wreck microsoft's HQ

no good

I have found it kinda weird that my normal usb keyboard will only work if I'm plugged into the same usb port ... if I unplug it and put it in a different port it will no longer work but the mouse works in any port. Does that make any kind of sense? This has nothing to do with the wireless board or mouse ... just the cheap ass $10 keyboard that came with the pc. I just find that kinda odd

Hmmm, it sounds like you've done everything correctly. So it does or doesn't work on a different computer? It sounds like it could be an issue with the motherboard to be honest.

Might be worth checking the BIOS for any USB options - I've read a couple of DAW PC Optimization things that mention turning off USB Legacy Support etc., so try switching any options like that (if there's a "USB 2.0 Support" one, don't change it, it'll probably make something else stop working) might do something. If there's no options for that, it might be that you have jumpers on the motherboard to control it instead, in which case you'll need to look at the manual.

As for the wired keyboard thing - my keyboard does that too. If you unplug it whilst the computers on, it'll only work in that port. No idea why, just one of those things. Just to be clear, you are unplugging the wired one when you try the wireless one right? Might be worth trying the USB thing in all your ports too if you haven't already - if you have any on an extension card (rather than the ones on the motherboard), it might be worth trying them. For some reason the ones on my motherboard aren't recognised as USB 2 (even though they are), so if I plug some things into them I get told the ports are too slow etc.

Not many people realise USB stuff is actually powered by Voodoo; sometimes you just have to swear under your breath enough, and in the right order, and it'll magically spring into life.

Steve