With this preamp palette [API,Neve,SSL,Chanlder] how would you make your input list?

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey guys, a long time since my latest post!
I´m working very hard at the studio, released more than 8 albums in the last 6 months and really have no time to experiment. The fact is like every month I acquire new gear and I´d like to know, in your experience what do you find is a better/worse preamp for certains applications ???
So take as an example my usual drum input list:

1. Kick in
2. Kick out
3. Snare mic 1
4. Snare mic 2
5. Tom 1
6. Tom 2
7. Tom 3
8. Tom 4
9. Crash 1
10. Crash 2
11. HH
12 Ride
13. China
14. Splash
15. Room L
16. Room R
17 Kick Trigger
18. SnareTrigger
19.T1 Trigger
20.T2 Trigger
21.T3 Trigger
22.T4 Trigger

And my preamp selection:

1. API 3124
API3124p-xlarge.jpg

2. Neve 1073:
neve%201073.jpg

3. 2x Chander Germanium:
chander%20germanium.jpg

4. Mindprint DTC:
mindprint.jpg

5. SSL VHD:
vhd_pre_3qrt_large.jpg

6. 2 x Amek/TAC preamp with EQ:
amek.jpg

7. Saffire 56 (for triggers):
saffire%2056.jpg

You got some nice choices, you probably can't go wrong going with whatever combination and it would also depend on the source, the type of microphone your using and the type of sound your after, I'll do it anyways for fun. Assuming the drummer is good and consistent and your goal is to not use much replacement, i'd probably go with something like this:

1. Kick in - Germanium Pre
2. Kick out - Germanium Pre
3. Snare mic 1 - Neve 1073
4. Snare mic 2 - Neve 1073
5. Tom 1 - API
6. Tom 2 - API
7. Tom 3 - API
8. Tom 4 - API
9. Crash 1 - Mindprint
10. Crash 2 - Mindprint
11. HH - SSL
12 Ride - SSL
13. China - SSL
14. Splash - SSL
15. Room L - Amek
16. Room R - Amek

There rest of these on the LS56

17 Kick Trigger
18. SnareTrigger
19.T1 Trigger
20.T2 Trigger
21.T3 Trigger
22.T4 Trigger

I don't know anything about the Amek or the Mindprint but assuming that by crash 1 and 2 you meant OH, i would try to use the EQ on the way in to get the mud out right from the start and add some highs in analog so i can just do the rest of the EQ ITB later. Germanium on kick i have tried and i liked the results, neve on snare to try to get a nice fat snare sound which i would probably still enhance with samples anyways and API on toms because i try not to sample toms and those preamps just sound nice and forward on drums which makes toms really explosive IMO. Amek on the rooms because I'd probably EQ the rooms on the way in as well.

If you're going to go with the Germanium on kick as C-Martin suggested, be careful with that feedback control. I borrowed a buds Germanium and had it on kick for a session awhile back. I wasn't able to bring the feedback above 0.5 without introducing a whole whack of "smacking a beachball" sound. That said, it did end up sounding pretty deadly.

Thanks guys, I will check your recommendations ;)
Mindprint DTC is a two channel valve preamp with parametric equalizer and compressor/limiter, it was used in last Mnemic "Sons of the system" on vocals.
The Amek preamps are two channels from a live desk racked to use in my studio.
What would be your choice recording guitars???? I use normally 2x 57´s + SEN421 + AKG414

Holy fuck, that Mindprint DTC looks awesome !!!

Sorry I can't answer your question but can I ask if the DTC is good on guitars ?

Can you use the EQ on the DTC to get a great guitar tone and then avoid having to
use software plugins for EQ ?

Yes, very good on vocals, bass and guitars. You can Eq on the way in as well as compress. But at the end I have always a Neve EQ in the guitar bus doing some tweaking. The DTC can be used as well on the 2bus where it gives a nice valve touch as long as the parametric Eq, it´s a good machine!