WMG Purchases RoadRunner Records

faith in roadrunner continues to dwindle as I read - although it may be smarter in a corporate sense.

I saw that last night. I think it has the potential of being a disaster, but I'll just hope nothing changes.

I can see a lot of the smaller bands being dropped, though.

WMG already owned 3/4 of Roadrunner. They already had power at the company. This is just a full takeover.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a label sporting bands like Megadeth, Dream Theater, and Slipknot is finally a total major. Roadrunner was also pretty much the only major metal label affiliated with the RIAA too, right? Not shocking at all. To be honest, it's surprising that it didn't happen earlier.

WMG already owned 3/4 of Roadrunner. They already had power at the company. This is just a full takeover.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a label sporting bands like Megadeth, Dream Theater, and Slipknot is finally a total major. Roadrunner was also pretty much the only major metal label affiliated with the RIAA too, right? Not shocking at all. To be honest, it's surprising that it didn't happen earlier.

quit making so much damn sense all the time. you're 'single postedly' ruining my ability to be negative and skeptical about anything.

Major labels have long used smaller labels to distribute music that doesn't fit the mold of the major. It's not as if Roadrunner has been a staple of quality releases. So it makes sense.

Why does it suck???
If there are bands you currently like on Roadrunner, they will be able to enjoy better promotion and distribution.
I mean, it's not like WMG is going to as OPETH to pull a "Cold Lake" :lol:

Though, I do have to wonder if this is why all talk of the new GRAND MAGUS album dropping this year.
Does anyone know if that was ever officially released?

Hmm, this looks like a wait and see scenario. Could mean better distribution for smaller bands of metal and other genres. On the panic side, could seem like Big Bro will squash seemingly unprofitable creativity. Thinking RR will remain a smaller entity under a larger company and will continue to promote the genres they currently control with the big guys lending support and taking the profits as they materialize. Could be good; could be bad. Not calling it now.

Hmm, this looks like a wait and see scenario. Could mean better distribution for smaller bands of metal and other genres. On the panic side, could seem like Big Bro will squash seemingly unprofitable creativity. Thinking RR will remain a smaller entity under a larger company and will continue to promote the genres they currently control with the big guys lending support and taking the profits as they materialize. Could be good; could be bad. Not calling it now.

Better distribution? To where?

Perhaps Europe still has physical stores that sell CDs?

I don't think that this changes anything, other than somebody wanting to sell off his part of the company.

The biggest change this will probably have is that they now have more control over Nickelback ;)

It was released everywhere but the US.

Well, there you go.
WARNER would have probably aided in having it distributed here.
Also, possibly could have given tour support to come here.

I dunno. I think the days of "The label made us change our sound" is LONG over. I mean, many bands succeed even without the help of labels. This isn't the late 70s or early 80s where the majority of bands we listened to were first heard on the radio or anything.

I'm in your boat. I'm not making any opinion about this until at least a year or so.

This is news? Roadrunner was taken over by WMG 2-3 years ago. How do you think Dream Theater ended up there after Elektra dropped them?