Wolf - Evil Star

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
Any of you guys (or gals) heard this album? I've been seeing the name all over the place in mags and on the net so I decided to check them out. They are one killer retro band!! They have that cool 80's underground metal sound like Exciter or Griffin, with a little Maiden thrown in. Not that they sound exactly like any of those bands but they have that "feel" to them. I think they have 2 or 3 other albums, which I now need to track down!

No, no, no. Let's get something clear "Black Star" will be among the top ten albums of 2004. This Swedish trio play metal with the best attitude I've heard in years. Classic but fresh, powerful but not flowery, energetic but not noisy. The USA version comes with two covers as bonus tracks 'Die By The Sword' (Slayer, and sounds 1000 times better than the original, so flame me ), and 'I'm Not Afraid Of Life' (Ramones, awsome song, not punk at all IMO). I'm so excited with them that I already preorder the reissues of their two first albums.

'Evil Star', 'Devil Moon', 'Black Wing Rider' and the cover of '(Don't fear) The Reaper' are out of this world. This three kids (they look pretty young to me) play better metal than some "seasoned bands" out there with 4-5 people on them. To me they are one of the biggest promise not only in Swedish metal but in metal in general.

Highly recommended for old school fans :headbang:

Wyvern said:
No, no, no. Let's get something clear "Black Star" will be among the top ten albums of 2004.

Not sure what you're saying hear Wyvern, because I very much like this album also. Did my post make it sound like I didn't? It will most likely be on my top 10 for the year also.

Greeno said:
Not sure what you're saying hear Wyvern, because I very much like this album also. Did my post make it sound like I didn't? It will most likely be on my top 10 for the year also.
No, I was emphasazing that is not just good...is FUCKING good! :lol:

If you are not afraid of buying online, the three albums are right now available at The End records website at $13 each (S&H free in USA).

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Wyvern said:
No, I was emphasazing that is not just good...is FUCKING good! :lol:

:lol: I totaly agree!!!!!

Wyvern said:
If you are not afraid of buying online, the three albums are right now available at The End records website at $13 each (S&H free in USA).

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks for the tip! Will be ordering those very soon then.

Damn right, a friend made me listen to that new WOLF which is their best to date in my opinion!
A perfect mix of Maiden, Exciter and Mercyful Fate blended in a modern powerful sound!

:OMG:

Attention old school metalheads! -> go for WOLF :D

Psychonaut said:
Just for the record, I bought Evil Star and the very next morning purchased the other two. These guys are awesome. "The Avenger", "Wolf's Blood", "Devil Moon".... holy shit!

Cool! I need to pick these up also. Are the other 2 albums as good as Evil Star?

delize said:
I like the music, but I don't like the singers voice too much.

I think he fits the music nicely. He's not the world's best singer but he works with their sound.... to my ears anyway.

Greeno said:
I think he fits the music nicely. He's not the world's best singer but he works with their sound.... to my ears anyway.

That's what I get for liking Death vocals :)

He sings fine. He is just too high pitched for my ears. But I won't write the band off. I do like the music.

Yeah, I just got Black Wings and it's a little more heavily influenced by Maiden but it's still good. His voice seems to have come a long way between BW and Evil Star. I have the first as well but haven't listened to it yet.

Yea this album kicks the living shit out of me!! I love it!! Gonna get me the earlier albums also! The production is awesome! I wish the first Maiden had this sound!