Wolverine "Cold Light of Monday" reviews

Wolverine: Cold light of monday
Review by: Josh Thorne

Reviewing cd's, contrary to what you may believe, is not an easy job at all. Sometimes, you're overloaded with really bad cd's and have the duty of reviewing them and saying how badly they suck, thus leading to the criticism of others that you're a little "too hard" on bands. However, other times you're overloaded with really good cd's and have the duty of giving these good bands a decent review because they deserve it. This leads to some people saying you're too complimentary of bands. It's a hard job to do this, but eventually, you learn to tune everyone else out and write what you feel. This technique will, no doubt, be put to very good use after a few reads of this review.

I received this particular cd in the mail, along with that atrocious Lunaris disc. However, when I got Lunaris out of my cd player and discarded it, I put this in. Wolverine managed to do something to me that only a few bands were ever able to do. "Cold Light of Monday" is not just a good record, it's a moving experience. Listen to it and find out what I mean. I get cd's to review all the time, and to be honest, it's a struggle to pull myself away from this disc long enough to give the others the attention they deserve...if that's not a sign of a modern classic, I don't know what is.

The biggest reason this record works so well, is due to the band's understanding of atmosphere in music. This album sounds and feels like a big city at 3 a.m. in the morning. It's not brutally heavy or devastating like the majority of what I listen to, but it's crushingly beautiful in it's own splendid way. Somber organ music accompanied by clean vocals and massive guitar work really make this album come alive, note by note. Each and every time I hear it, I find something newer and better that I didn't hear before!

The closest comparison I could make to Wolverine's sound would probably be along the lines of Portishead, but better. "Cold Light of Monday" also happens to be a concept album about an abuse victim named Sarah. So, as you listen, you're drawn deeper and deeper into this girl's sad life. What she feels, you feel, and what she experiences, you experience. As I said, there's so much more to this album than meets the eye. So yeah, I guess you could say this is one of those "endless praise" reviews, but hey, I could care less. The bottom line is that anyone with ears should listen to this band, because they're very deserving of it. So, that ends this review. Go now, and buy this. Right now. Don't hesitate...go.

Final Score: 10 /10

http://www.statikmajik.com/gd/reviews/wolverine_coldlight.php

That's a nice part about the music feeling like a "big city at 3 AM"... i know exactly what he's talking about... I love that atmosphere that is found on the latest Wolverine... and is also evident on albums like Ulver's "Perdition City" and The Blue Nile's "Hats"...

Hello everyone! Here is a review written in my mothers tongue, Serbian!
I'm the journalist of the best serbian metal magazines Metal & Rock Express.
Hope it will look interesting to your eyes, at least :)

But, I will tell you only one thing - this is one of the best fucking albums I have ever heard in my life!

-----------------

WOLVERINE – Cold Light of Monday

Kakvo samo iznenadjenje predstavlja ovaj album! Oni koji su imali priliku da cuju prva dva albuma ovih Svedjana, znaju da je bend pripadao Dark Progressive Metal pravcu. Noviji Fates Warning/Pain of Salvation bi bio opis zanra. Uvek su isli nekim odvojenim putem, da li zbog forsiranja i death i clean vokala... Lopta je ovde spustena na zemlju, bend je odrastao, izbegao ponavljanje samoga sebe, i snimio najzreliji materijal do sada. Blag, ali uznemirujuci, mracan, duboko emotivan, Cold Light of Monday je konceptualan album o devojci koja se osvescuje u podrumu, gde je bila zlostavljana, mucena, i pokusava da se priseti odakle i kako se tu nasla. Sve pesme predstavljaju mix njenih razlicitih emocija. Na ovom albumu distorzije nisu nesto sveprisutno, vise se islo na efekte, jednostavan ritam, veoma atmosfericne klavijature. Pevac Steffan Zell sigurno da je jedan od najboljih u poslu, odavno se dokazao, a ovde to samo potvrdio. Jedan od najosecajnijih vokala koje sam cuo. “Sarah”, “New Best Friends”, “Carousel”, samo su neki od razloga zasto da nabavite ovaj album, vi koji volite experimentisanje sa muzikom. Ovaj album jednostavno izbacuje iz emotivne ravnoteze, hipnoticki tera na konstantno slusanje, ponovo i ponovo... Odusevljen sam!

10/10 Nebojsa Lakic