WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

Six-winged Seraph

Without Air
Jun 10, 2005
Caledon, Ontario, CANADA
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35741

This second cd-r featues a new lineup, longer songs (three songs, 13 minute, 12 minute and 24 minutes) and a sound much closer to what the band had been shooting for all along, according to Wolves drummer Aaron. That sound is a galloping grim black metal not that unlike Leviathan, Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone and the like. In fact it sounds quite a bit like a more lo-fi version of SF black metal legends Weakling. Haunting minor key melodies, relentlessly blasting double kick drumming and repetitive riffs that become hypnotic almost-drones. The Wolves add plenty of their own flavor with plenty of weird folk interludes, creepy swirling melodies, stretches of plodding doom, mathy rhythms and moaning ambience. These guys have been playing around here this last couple weeks, and admitedly it was pretty weird seeing a bunch of raggedy indie punk rockers, curly hair, fur vests, tight pants, t-shirts and tennis shoes, blasting out such a torrent of howling blackened fury. But what these guys lack in spiked armbands, windmilling long hair, and corpsepaint, they make up for in sheer, gloriously grim black metal pummel! These are limited of course. In cool black cardboard sleeves and silkscreened in silver metallic ink. Nice.

mp3 stream

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/wittrqueen.m3u

These guys are amazing :worship:

I think I need to re-visit Weakling before I check out more newbies to the scene. If I remember right, it should be ok for summer listening. Nevertheless, I haven't quite understood the admiration yet -- these guys from The Fucking Champs make a one-off side project called Weakling, and then lay it to rest? And now, you've got upcoming artists being compared to said one-off band/album? I know it's good but I don't quite get yet how it's taken the world by storm. Maybe because it's a little off the wall and different to the same ol' same ol'...?

Has anyone read a good review for Weakling? I'd really like to assess this better.

I don't know what message that sends for the genre when a bunch of bohemians from the ghetto of San Fran can make a quick BM record and become cult legends in their own right. :tickled: And then just go back to doing The Fucking Champs again, right? Eiiwrds.

As far as I know, Josh was the only member of both the Fucking Champs and Weakling, and he's no longer in the Champs. The other members were just from scattered underground bands in the area, metal or otherwise.

Dead as Dreams is one of those albums that took forever to grow on me, however I think it quite easily fits into my top 5 albums of all time now. I'd be hard pressed to explain why it's so good, but every time I listen to it, it's like reading another page in a novel. It never fails to surprise me with riffs/patterns/concepts that I hadn't noticed before. The playing it top notch too.

For sure, there has to be a reason why so many people would agree with you Decadent. It's widely hailed, no doubt, as a work of utter genius. I really like it, but not sure if I full get it yet -- I'll keep it spinning.

I think I've listened to it an average of 3-4 times a week for the past 6 months and I'm still not sure I "get it". One of these days perhaps... or maybe not.

which one? I wish to bugger them both. repeatedly :D

Jam_Sig_site.jpg

GAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

This was going to be my recommendation!!!!! (Not the new album but the 3 song demo):

wolvesinthethroneroom-demo2005.jpg

I was sent this last year, put it away, came back to it, and THEN REALIZED holy mackerel!! Yes, there are similarities to Weakling but these guys tend to sound a little more "mythical" or to be candid, "forest" like.

Also, the vocals on Weakling are somewhat hard to digest. As you all know, the vocals are "howling" throughout. Wolves on the other hand are a little more conventional.

They are not a Weakling clone however. Fans of "dark metal" will appreciate also -- lots of acoustic interludes etc.

Shit there goes my reco. Good thing I have a PLAN B. :D

EDIT: I gave the demo a 9/10 fwiw.