WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

Well honestly "Dead as Dreams" comes very close to being my fave black metal recording evar. Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" and Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" are unreachable as of yet, and I guess Weakling's album is on a line with DsO's "Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice" and Lunar AUrora's "Zyklus" just behind.

As trivial as it sounds, the vocals on Weakling are the weakest link. Otherwise, yeah, it's great stuff but I also tend to prefer Wolves in the Throne Room and I'm only judging it against the DEMO. I've yet to hear the real album.

GAH - I can't believe it, I was 3 days away from using this as my recommedation. Blarghu. :(

MFJ said:
Yeah I totally dislike the Weakling vocals... the howling just doesn't do it for me. It's like a failed Vikernes

Well the vocals may be not over-the-top but they're hardly a prominent component of their music, so it's not an obstacle

CUT YOUR BRAIN AND PLACE FIRE THEREIN

(ok, I know it's grain, but brain sounds cooler)

alright, so since having this demo on my computer for a month or two I'm finally starting to listen to it. God I'm such a homosexual.

Re: "howling vocals", it's a fine line. When H'grimnir does it (is it him or V'gandr?), they tend to immerse themselves into the music. For some reason, with Weakling they're a little too prominent and tend to 'take over' the ambience.

Tough to explain, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Without doubt Weakling is excellent and it's a must have in my collection.

Are you guys listening to the demo track, or actual tracks from the real album? I notice that Vendlus offer samples but it's difficult to see where the music is going in 1 minute snapshots.

I'm listening to the 2005 demo.

Joseph posted it in as a "forum treat" a month or so back for download, and for some reason unknown I forgot about it (I suspect that maybe it is my aversion to 128kbps mp3s). This thread got me to finally check it out. Haha I suck.

yeah, so I just ordered the album because I was already sold by sometime in the middle of the demo's second track.

Ellestin said:
Actually two of those samples exceed 2'30''. But sample checking is hardly necessary for a buy-or-perish-in-endless-pains-of-death release, wouldn't you say?

Probably, but it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes the demo exceeds in quality compared to the final 'official' release, but I will pick this up anyway.

JayKeeley said:
Are you guys listening to the demo track, or actual tracks from the real album? I notice that Vendlus offer samples but it's difficult to see where the music is going in 1 minute snapshots.

I'll post a full track of Queen of the Borrowed Light (its also on a demo from the album for comparisson) also dino of asunder and jamie of hammers of misfortune lend vocals on this album (you SF fanatics!) I felt the band was alot like Weakling early on but they really have grown into their own on the debut...

Jay you rule thank you so much for saying such kind words! I still run vendlus haha I'll never sell! My wife helps me out now she wont even let me touch the shipping procedures! We have a new webstore and the next step is to get into doing some secure credit card transactions with it.

download the whole demo here

http://www.vendlus.com/wolves/Wolves_In … o_2005.zip

Spread it around. I just hope people buy this cd instead of downloading it. It's hard supporting a touring band and I'm hoping to promote this act alot..

some other news for you guys

Upcoming is Megaptera (huge cult artist of the death industrial scene had a release on relapse(ripoff!) and cold meat industry alumni)
David Galas - The Cataclysm (all you closet goths know this guy, he was a main part of lycia and bleak)
I will also have a compilation sampler of vendlus junk coming out soon, it will be free and easy to obtain i hope. I'll make sure to post a thread here so all you guys can snag it.

scald dude, i got your email ill reply formally but as for right now i am interested. Send me some material.. btw i never share solicited works. I'd love to hear as much work as possible. goodluck with your code666 release.