Wood choice for recording room floor

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey mates, I´m gona build my first studio and I wonder what kind of wood should I choose for the recording room floor. The size is 15m2. I´d need a floor that makes the drumkit brighter and liveful (now i´m on carpet, and it´s horrible, all is dead) Thanksssss

Any hardwood will be brighter so it's really going to depend on what is available and affordable where you are. The important thing though is to go hardwood and not laminate and to get the hardest finish you can so that it doesn't get destroyed by the drum hardware.

Yeah, laminate is the stuff that's a photo finish over cheap and/or synthetic material (like cheap flame top guitars!). Pine is really common over here and it's pretty good when finished well.

I would stay away from pine - that stuff will mark up if you look at it the wrong way. It's way too soft for a high use flooring application IMO.

I would look at the 'harder' hardwoods like Oak and Ash (not sure what the European availability is like) but they will stand-up to a lot more of a shitkiciking than any softwood. I would also apply at least 4 coats of Poly Urethane finish to it as well to keep the wood underneath safer longer.