Woods of Ypres Album Reviews

DeviousDarren

May 12, 2007
Harker Heights, Texas
I discovered Woods of Ypres on myspace. Then while perusing through titles for review on metalcentre, I came across "Pursuit of the Sun and Allure of the Earth" so I reviewed it. Awesome stuff.

"Allure of the Sun and Pursuit of the Earth" 9/10 www.metalcentre.com

WOODS OF YPRES is one of those bands who defy classification. Like OPETH and AGALLOCH, much of their music is melodic, relying on acoustic intros and wind downs. Also like the above-mentioned bands, WOODS OF YPRES’ music spirals into black voyages.

The band accomplishes this duality by constantly keeping an aura of suspense, even in the slower, softer moments. Take the album’s opening track, “Intro: The Looming of Dust in the Dark (& The Illumination),” for example. This track begins with an intense, acoustic intro, something you might hear in a seventies horror film dealing with the occult. The acoustics steadily become heavywith the addition of a bass line. The end of the song becomes more powerful, but never fully reaches its stride, meandering back down to more acoustics on the next track, “The Will to Give.”

“The Will to Give” is where the music finally reaches its bestial side, unleashing a vicious torrent of black metal furry. David Gold’s alluring, folk vocals become a harsh black metal yell, the drums blast away, and the guitarists pick their strings with cold malevolence. What follows are thrashy gallops, crushing doom, and mid-paced tremolo picking.

By using three guitarists and two bassists, the group truly forms a massive wall of electric sound. “The Sun was in my Eyes: Part One” and “The Sun Was in My Eyes: Part Doom” fully utilize this heavy guitar sound, creating a monumentally heavy doom saga. Gold’s golden lungs fit perfectly with these songs’ gloomy, depressive tone. His vocals are reminiscent of “Silent Enigma”-era ANATHEMA and later AGALLOCH.

With the newfound popularity of melodic, extreme bands like AGALLOCH, OPETH, AMORPHIS, KATATONIA, MOONSPELL, and DAYLIGHT DIES; WOODS OF YPRES have a bright future playing dark music for glum souls around the world. Fans of emotion-ridden, darkly tranquil music will revel in “Pursuit of Sun & Allure of the Earth.” These Canucks have set June as the release date for their next album. If given the proper promotion, there is no reason this band can’t become the next OPETH.

I'm thinking the idea of two bass players sounds sort of interesting... but anyway, nice effort. It really makes me wish i owned the album, and hopefully anyone new to WoY will think the same thing. I'll have to patiently await a reprint :)