Categorizing the music of "WOODS OF YPRES"

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
Aside from the old standard "Black and Doom" and a more recent tag of "Aggressive / Depressive", my current favourite is "blackened post-grunge" suggested by a lastfm.com listener. :lol: Which I would agree is at least partly true when talking about "Woods 2: Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth".

In your opinion, where does WoY fit for you? Categorize the Woods...Extra points for originality and entertainment value. "Black", "doom", "Post-this", "Post-that"...Post it here! Go!!! :kickass:

Seasonal Doom/Post-Black Metal with Inner City and Outer Tree Influences? Lmao. I always think one of the best compliments to a band is when they're hard to put under a genre. Personally I usually just think of/refer to WoY as melodic black metal.

Blackened post-grunge, nice! Though the 'grunge' relationship to me is mostly an Alice In Chains influence, who weren't grunge to me. I always considered them a great original hard rock band that just got lumped into those tours.

But yeah, you guys are tough to classify, which is great.

Bugger to these categories!

AWESOME is the only one I'd use. A deep and talented band making layered and textured music. No need for convoluted categories on my end.

Yes, that is awesome!!! :kickass:

I had to go with Arboric because Coniferous isn't specific enough - it only refers to pine trees and lets face it...Woods don't just have one kind of tree!

Deciduous is a cooler word, but it only applies to non-pine trees.

FUCK YEAH LATIN DERIVATIVES.