Woods of Ypres/Krankenhaus on i-tunes???

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
...not yet, but I'm trying to get us in there, along with the rest of the Krankenhaus Records gang. We have submitted an application for our material to be reviewed to see weather it will be suitable to be sold on i-Tunes. We are now awaiting a response.

Personally, I think being available through i-tunes would be really good for everyone. For starters, it would help us to offer the songs of our 2nd album "Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth" online (which is otherwise completely out of print and unavailable on CD).

One last observation: i-tunes does not have a "metal" category in their application form (though there were 20 categories including: jazz, world, country, latin, etc...). The closest category they had was 'rock' (and not even 'hard rock'). This is obviously a bad sign, but I have also read forum threads where people were trying to track down particular metal on i-tunes (See the Katatonia forum). I guess the question I'm trying to answer is "Is there enough metal interest/demand by i-pod users for Apple to offer underground metal on i-tunes?"

btw - who here owns an i-pod? I don't yet, but I think I'd like to get one.

For those who already use i-tunes, is there a lot of metal available on there (besides Metallica, etc..)?

Your thoughts? Comments?

David Gold said:
btw - who here owns an i-pod? I don't yet, but I think I'd like to get one.

I got one just over a month ago... at first I was really adverse to the thought of having an iPod (mostly due to the cost of them) but I'm fucking glad I have one now. I'd been using the same discman almost every day for 5 years in a row and it was about to die, plus the convenience of having all my shit on the one unit is very handy.

blackpod.jpg

It's a black iPod in a black silicon skin. :loco: (Playing a black metal video clip, of course... 1349 - Sculptor Of Flesh)... the screen looks blurry in the photo but the video quality is actually VERY good.

Fuck, anyway, as for your other questions, I dunno about other people but I definitely wouldn't buy music through iTunes... but to be honest I don't even know how it works. :erk: I'm not sure what you mean by people trying to "track down particular metal"... you mean they're trying to find MP3s online, or are having problems finding/buying an actual CD, or...? If there's no plans to re-release Pursuit anytime in the near future then I guess iTunes would be a decent way to get a legit copy out to people, but others might want the real deal (booklet/case/CD) in their hands, I know I would.

Aaaaanyway, someone who actually uses iTunes extensively could probably offer far more useful advice than my nonsense here, hehe.

iTunes Canada can be a great source for finding mainstream 70's/80's hard rock/metal like UFO & Metal Church. But there are so many gaps inbetween.

That being said you can get Exciter's Violence and Force for $8.91 there.

I have one of the small Ipod shuffles. They suck, but I guess it's better than carrying around a cd player. I think it's stupid that places like itunes don't have metal categories.

I don't have an iPod yet, myself. I'm basically waiting for the wireless version to pop up, about which I've heard winds blowing around. That should be even more handy to use on the road and in specific situation like workouts.

Personally, I would be using my iPod to carry along the music I own on CD and maybe occasionally throw in a couple of MP3s I downloaded. If I like something I hear on MP3 though, I want to own the actual album with the booklet and the whole package, like AshDLS indicated. I guess I'm old fashioned like that. Hey, at least (?) I'm not a vinyl addict. ;-D
Seriously though, iTunes and similar services don't appeal to me very much, even if I have little or no experience with them. The point being I'm not very motivated to change that.

I think I'll wait for "Pursuit" to be re-released once the "Woods 3" has found its way to the shops.
On a side note, I did just order "Against the Seasons". Looking forward to that!

i dont have an Ipod or even a cd player. mine broke last November and i spend all my cash on cd's so I never replaced it. I dont like the sound quality on MP3 players and I hear that Ipods in particular seem to breakdown and have dysfunctions a lot so im not too keen on spending a couple hundred on one.