WOODS OF YPRES signs to EARACHE Records!

I honestly had doubts in my heart about the breakup... it just didn't seem to fit witht the "Thrill of the Struggle", no? Truth be told, when I found out you were in Kuwait, I really thought that there'd be a good chance you'd head home and get things going again.

I almost want to cry tears of metal. I've been supporting this band for many a year now and to see a kickass label properly supporting this kickass band... IS JUST FUCKING KICKASS. You deserve every ounce of this DG. Come home soon!

Dunno what to think about the deception. Glad I didn't write a love letter about the demise only to find out it was just a rook.

You don't know what have until...

The old band couldn't continue the way it was...but now we can. In some ways, the old band did finally end this summer, but now we have a chance to continue as well as start again. It seems the mysterious choices we've made are sometimes unpopular with at least few people, but I hope that most consider that as a long suffering indy band, we have to find ways to make things happen, especially when we self release an album such as W4: The GREEN album and get almost completely ignored by the metal press.

The whole thing is far more fucked up than anyone else will ever know. I just can't be bothered to sweat the details anymore, so... lay off the grief. I am in Kuwait, etc... Just be happy it isn't you. I'm simply relieved that something good has come of a journey so bad. All is well that ends well. The whole thing has just started to feel somehow justified. Long roads ahead yet... But maybe some welcome ones, far in the distance, on the other side of that ocean...

Thanks for all the love!

DG - \w/

"EARACHE RECORDS is proud to announce the worldwide signing of the Canadian cult metal act, WOODS OF YPRES. Formed in 2002, they've earned critical acclaim for their ever-evolving, envelope-pushing mix of blackened doom metal. Most often compared to bands such as AGALLOCH and TYPE O NEGATIVE, WOODS OF YPRES toe a thin line between the catchy, the artistic and the extreme to create an unmistakable signature sound."

‎"Woods 5: "You Were the Light" and reissues of their entire catalogue will be out on EARACHE RECORDS in 2011."

How's that? :)

DG - \w/

You don't know what have until...

The old band couldn't continue the way it was...but now we can. In some ways, the old band did finally end this summer, but now we have a chance to continue as well as start again. It seems the mysterious choices we've made are sometimes unpopular with at least few people, but I hope that most consider that as a long suffering indy band, we have to find ways to make things happen, especially when we self release an album such as W4: The GREEN album and get almost completely ignored by the metal press.

The whole thing is far more fucked up than anyone else will ever know. I just can't be bothered to sweat the details anymore, so... lay off the grief. I am in Kuwait, etc... Just be happy it isn't you. I'm simply relieved that something good has come of a journey so bad. All is well that ends well. The whole thing has just started to feel somehow justified. Long roads ahead yet... But maybe some welcome ones, far in the distance, on the other side of that ocean...

Thanks for all the love!

DG - w/

You sound like you need a hug David. Or maybe a couple cold glasses of beer will suffice? Like I said man next time you are in Victoria the beer is on me! Last time you were here I was in a pretty tight spot emotionally and financially, but now I'm doing a lot better! Anyway... all that aside. We all got metal'd!!!!!!!! lol congrats once again on the signing couldn't have happened to a better band and a nicer guy.

Please allow me explain further...

This came up in conversation today, and there's lots more I could say about it, re: getting signed to Earache, now, at this very moment...

By the time Woods I came out, both other founding members had quit the band and I was on academic probation in University, living in Windsor. By the time that WII came out, the band had quit again, I was heartbroken, and sharing a shitty apartment in the basement of a family's house in Mississauga with a guy who didn't speak English. By the time WIII came out, the band had quit, again, I was heartbroken, lost and living in Korea with no idea what I would do next. By the time that W4: The GREEN Album came out, I was still heartbroken and living alone in a cabin in the woods of Northern Ontario. Now that W5 is ready to come out, we finally have a record deal, the band stayed together and I'm living and working in Kuwait where the job is demanding, the days are long and hot, the Internet is restricted, alcohol is illegal and heavy metal is prohibited. One of these days, eventually, WOODS OF YPRES will be able to celebrate one of these "quiet victories", properly, normally. Be warned, I might explode.

We are THRILLED about our opportunities with Earache! I'm looking forward to a new normal, getting back to a life that I understand and giving this band the chances it has earned!

Thanks for all the support! See you...soon? :)

DG - \w/

So cut to the chase-- this means the Paul Young and Nick Cave covers will eventually come to fruition, right?

Yes! :)

But this gives you an opportunity to write a smug, dry love letter about the continued existence.

Yeah, see... At this point, I've come to expect that even at my funeral, lying there, amongst good friends, there will still be cowardly assholes who will insist on talking trash, in a whisper.

Dusting off some old shirts...

earache2.jpg

earache1.jpg

earache3.jpg

earache4.jpg

:kickass:

The shirt with the url always got questions-- I got it in 1996 and the web was still fairly fledgling-- people always asked, "What is that?" "Do you work for a dot-com?".

Re: WOODS OF YPRES signing to Earache Records - Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes It is exciting! However, our good news is bittersweet, as usual, as we won't (can't) celebrate anything yet. There's lots of old work that still has to be done and lots of new work that we have yet to begin. + I'm still in Kuwait, etc... "living" (read: working) the practical side of my double life... It's all part of the real, realistic, honest story that is WOODS OF YPRES in the modern music biz. We DO have a story to tell, and so we insist on telling it like it really is.

Thanks as always!

DG - \w/

I know you had your reasons for saying the Woods was over. My assumption was that it really was in your mind, then things changed. Thats the nature of life and business. I am very happy that things have turned around for the band. I really like the current line up, and I hope it stays solid.

Regarding the story of Woods, and the reality of life... I think you should use some of your time in K'weight to write about your experiences. I would definitely read it.

From an upcoming interview:

It's complicated. WOODS OF YPRES never disbanded, but I did move to Kuwait to work for a while. I'm there now. Leading up to the move, I had to close Krankenhaus Records distro (our indy label) and sold off all my guitars, so the rumour of the band breakup was pretty convincing. We knew it wasn't the end of the band, but because I was moving away for an undetermined length of time, we couldn't know when or how soon WOODS OF YPRES could resume. We were going on a big independent tour this past summer, and doing another album right afterwards, and since we didn't know for certain if and when we'd ever have a chance to do either of those things again, we just started saying they would be our last. The online feedback to W4: "The GREEN Album" was great, but we found it very hard to get anyone to buy a copy of it. Meanwhile, that same album was almost completely shut out from the metal press and the remaining printed magazines. We had no coverage, no promotion. From our perspective, going into that tour and that next album, we needed people to pay attention this time around, to come see the shows and hear the new album when it came out. "Don't miss it! This is your last chance!", etc... This band has continued to put itself through hell to keep going, and sometimes I would start to think that many people took it for granted that we're just too stubborn to quit and assumed that we'd always just be there. Meanwhile, keeping this band going for the love of it is easy, but it has always been challenging for practical reasons. We've endured many total disasters and still kept it going. Referencing that "Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone" thing, we all had a little scare and now we all have a second chance at a better relationship with everyone as we enter a new era of the band and much bigger opportunities with Earache.

I know you had your reasons for saying the Woods was over. My assumption was that it really was in your mind, then things changed. Thats the nature of life and business. I am very happy that things have turned around for the band. I really like the current line up, and I hope it stays solid.

Thanks man! Back when we weren't sure what was going to happen, we still intending to do another tour when I came home next summer, in 2011, record deal or not. Call it yet another stubborn act of defiance. We did come to a pretty good place to end the band, and I did really come out to Kuwait to work for the year, but I've been lead to believe that this place that we're in now is often the distance you have to go before things can get turned around. Ex. Band finally gets signed at the point that they're ready to give up after eight years of independent madness, etc...

Regarding the story of Woods, and the reality of life... I think you should use some of your time in K'weight to write about your experiences. I would definitely read it.

Maybe I will, once, at the very end, but likely not sooner. Actually I would love to. However, it's a six day workweek out here and my only day off is Friday (today...which reminds me, I need to iron my pants and shirts)...and the days are long and hot. I find that it's not an easy place to get things done, here. As much as I thought I'd have time to get bored, and then creative, I don't. But thank you! The encouragement is inspiring! :) If I should ever become an expert at anything, I hope it will be the "How to" of the life/work/music balance.

See you back in the Northwest next summer I hope!

DG - \w/