W5: "Grey Skies & Electric Light" - January 30th 2012 on Earache Records!

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
November 1st, 2011: MSN.com by Adrien Begrand

One of the more pleasant stories of 2010 was when it was announced that Earache Records had signed Canadian band Woods of Ypres. Helmed by singer/songwriter/vi​sionary David Gold, the Ontario band has built a strong following north of the border over the last decade, yielding four full-length albums that have been released independently, so what makes the Earache signing so interesting is that Woods of Ypres will be making their big label debut not as a bunch of promising upstarts, but as a fully-realized band.

New song "Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide)" is a good example of where Woods of Ypres is today, a streamlined rocker infused with doomy melancholy and gothic overtones, highlighted by a gigantic hook. Gold's pointed, poignant commentary is always a highlight of his songs, and on this track he talks about the ridiculous pressures of the modern world: "We were born to live in a desperate time / Where it seems the death of dreams is the end of life / But we only have one life to live, just one opportunity / And failure is not the end of the world / That's just society." Woods of Ypres' fifth album Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light will be released in early 2012, and judging by this incessant yet thoughtful track and the band's reputation for consistently good albums, it won't disappoint.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com...spx?post=4b938363-2407-4d1e-9fd8-3d0a79fd64c9

November 8th, 2011: Zero Tolerance Magazine by Russell Garwood

Canada’s Woods Of Ypres are set to release a new album next month. ZT recently caught up with charming-as-ever frontman David Gold to find out more. He had the following to say:

“Woods Of Ypres – “W5: Grey Skies & Electric Light” is set to be released on January 30th, 2012 via Earache Records! Nearly 10 years in, I hope we’d still have 10 yet to go, but should this turn out to be our final statement, I can finally be satisfied with what was expressed on this album about our experiences in life and our lives in music. Though the world of dreams is a tragic place, we took big risks in working towards our goals, gave all we had left and I believe at the very least, we were finally able to create what I think is our first perfect record, harnessing our most loved remembered feelings of Katatonia, Sentenced, Type O Negative, Anathema, Crowbar and classic Woods Of Ypres into a fresh and modern sound, totally honest, bleak and grey but yet oh so melodic, singalong-able, strangely uplifting and life affirming. There’s love, loss and yet life still, despite it all. Lead guitarist and studio bassist, pianist Joel Violette and I worked our musical hearts out on a dozen songs this summer, recorded in two intense weeks in August and by January, they are yours to enjoy on CD, vinyl and digitally. The timing of this record will be perfect for a new year and for the dark and cold of winter of such a hopeful time as 2012. These are hard times for a lot of people, us included, to which we have created a soundtrack that will likely resonate with many. Career Suicide is Not Real Suicide, Whoa-oh, oh-oh, Death is Not an Exit…life goes on if you’ll let it. I invite you to listen, and if you like it, buy it! Joel and I had already been discussing some very exciting framework for a “Woods 6″, pushing the Woods Of Ypres sound even further, but time will tell if we’ll be provided the opportunity the make it a reality. “Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light” is the last one we can do all on our own, and for free, but it’s a great one and we’re very proud of what we did with our time. Don’t wait ’till death to sing our praise, but at the end of our time, just kiss our ashes goodbye. Woods Of Ypres, 2002 – …”
If that does not slake your lust for Woods goodness, a new track has been posted online.

http://networkedblogs.com/pFJmQ

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure what to think...i like it, but i dont feel the emotions,no depth...we'll see when the album comes out...
I just hope WoY hasn't been blinded by 'fame'. I hope i am wrong.

http://earachenews.blogspot.com/2011/11/woods-of-ypres-release-another-new.html

WOODS OF YPRES RELEASE ANOTHER NEW TRACK FROM FORTHCOMING ALBUM

Canadian blackened doom metal outfit WOODS OF YPRES have released a brand new song from their forthcoming album, WOODS 5: GREY SKIES & ELECTRIC LIGHT.

"Kiss My Ashes (Goodbye)" is the second track to be released from WOODS 5: GREY SKIES & ELECTRIC LIGHT.

WOODS 5: GREY SKIES & ELECTRIC LIGHT was recorded with producer SIEGFRIED MEIER at Beach Road Studios in Ontario, Canada, and was mixed by famed UK producer JOHN FRYER (NINE INCH NAILS, PARADISE LOST). The album is due to be released in early 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
The song "Finality" from Woods V is one of the most hauntingly beautiful I've ever heard in my life. It's been on repeat all morning long. The entire album is amazing. Truly one of the finest Woods has ever recorded. It will stand as a fitting tribute to David Gold's genius.

RIP, David.

True, true.

Listening to "Traveling Alone" and "Alternate Ending" back-to-back is also a real killer...

lightning and snow, and modern life architecture are the two that have stood out to me the most.

To be honest, Woods III and IV were pretty hit and miss with me, but this one is damn near perfect. The only song I could probably do without is the opening track, the rest is amazing. This will most likely be my album of the year next year.