Work in progress: trying some new techniques... comments welcome!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted one of these... the workload is getting pretty thick these days.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with a bunch of new miking & mixing techniques, so if you'd like to comment, I'd appreciate it very much.

Here's the clip: Central Slang - Work in Progress

Sorry, but we haven't tracked vocals yet!

-0z-

Already changed the snare! I'll re-post later. I can add a bit more thud into the kick no problem, as well.... Thanks very much for your insights: A second set of ears is always welcome.

Guitars, that's my 5150 & Hellraiser combo. I convinced the guitar player to use my gear :) Dual 57's in the on/off axis config & then EQ'ed according to Colin's general 'rules of thumb." That, & I was listening to a hell of a lot of Carcass over the last few days :headbang:

Quickly looking at the guitar track EQ:

A wide boost at 10k
little cut at 5.2k
medium width boost at 4k
cut at 600
boost at 90
Rolloffs at at 60hz & 12.2k

hey man - sounds great!
everything is there where it should be!

guitars double or quad tracked? as i hear double) but i could be wrong)
(at the start its double tracked 100%)hehe)

any other settings? really like this sound - for my opinion best of your works!

that snare mmmmmmmm....

Already changed the snare! I'll re-post later. I can add a bit more thud into the kick no problem, as well.... Thanks very much for your insights: A second set of ears is always welcome.

Guitars, that's my 5150 & Hellraiser combo. I convinced the guitar player to use my gear :) Dual 57's in the on/off axis config & then EQ'ed according to Colin's general 'rules of thumb." That, & I was listening to a hell of a lot of Carcass over the last few days :headbang:

Quickly looking at the guitar track EQ:

A wide boost at 10k
little cut at 5.2k
medium width boost at 4k
cut at 600
boost at 90
Rolloffs at at 60hz & 12.2k

Cool man, you really get great tone from that combo. I guess I haven't mastered it yet, I'm getting ok results with one mic. Any pics of where the mics are on the grill?

Also, the off axis is generally louder right?

-Joe

dam oz your drums sound so huge and organic:worship:

I personaly like the mix a lot even the kick but thats just me. Great Job

sorry for flooding - but thats the best mix i've ever heard here) (on my taste of course)

Probably because it's a Rap Metal group, Nitro! If you're not digging it, that's toally cool. It's very different from the usual retro/melodic metal stuff I usually get to do.
Seriously, these guys have to be one of the very few indie rap-metal groups left. Not playing it because it's trendy, but for the love of the music... & I seriously respect that.

Anyway, as per some of the questions:

The snare in question is a Pork Pie "Big Black Brass" snare with a Remo Fyberskin head on it. We also had DW Neil Peart Edge & DW 6X14 maple snares on hand, but the Pork Pie just plain worked for this track. We used the Edge on 3 others. Some agressive cutting EQ was added to the snare track & the boxyness is gone. I've also added a bit more bottom to the kick & still debating to reduce the click or not. It's definitely the sound I've been after for quite a while, the question is "how much?" BTW, the low thump of the kick is centered around 60hz, so that may be why you're not hearing it on laptop speakers :p

The drummer, Jeff Lelaucher falls under the "exceptionally talented" category, IMSNHO. This is the fourth time I've worked with the guy & it's always a wonderful experience. Great big hand-made kit, great additude, & the guy has jackhammers for arms. Here's a pic of him cutting tracks:
jl.jpg

This was taken "behind the glass" during tracking, so sorry for the reflections.

Anyway, I shot a video of Jeff cutting tracks on a much more complex piece that I intend to post in a couple of weeks when I get some time. It's going to be called "how not to hit your drums like a complete pussy" or something like that.:heh:

Anyway, thanks again for the comments & I'll post an updated mix later today.... and some cab pics.

-0z-

that's pure helmet for sure though It has no vocals yet u may or may not hate the song!

Oz
Your work is amazing, as always, but the only thing i dislike is the kick, specially on this one, too click, i think a kick with a fat botton end would fit better the song/style and give a better organic charater to the whole thing!

:)

On this mix, very little. Just a few deep narrow cuts on some resonant frequencies & the snare is bussed out along with 2 room mics (the new technique I'm trying... this is the first mix where I've actually kept the room mics) to a compressor & smashed to bits. This buss is then brought in at a very low volume in the mix to fill things in a bit.

Other than that, it's all Jeff.

I've got a new version where I go a little crazy with the buss smasher & wind up with a very "Bon Jovi" 10-miles-wide snare. I don't think I'm gonna use it on this mix, but the next project I have in is a retro-80's metal group.. :)