Workflow for FX/Synth parts...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

one thing I'm asking myself for every production is how to optimize my FX/Synth workflow. In the meantime I really got a lot of synth and sounds to use. Guess this is the starting point. But whats next?
Usually I bounce my mix, get it into a new project (with same tempo track), and then start programming. I often don't know where to start. To get near to some pro productions like sturgis and co you really have to put in alot of layers of sounds to make it modern and huge. Mostly I start just with a few strings or a piano to find some chords or melodies that fit. After that I'm searching some nice sounds for them. This is in my case the weirdes part. I just loop my midi data and click through the presets. This can take soo much time. How do you deal with this? Do you create sounds by yourself or do you know your presets like the back of your hand and just search for the right one? The other tricky part is how to edit glitches etc. I use to record my synth to a new track when I'm happy with it, and then edit it like I want. But this also takes hours. Is anyone having some nice hints? How do you deal with this part of production?

Hey,

one thing I'm asking myself for every production is how to optimize my FX/Synth workflow. In the meantime I really got a lot of synth and sounds to use. Guess this is the starting point. But whats next?
Usually I bounce my mix, get it into a new project (with same tempo track), and then start programming. I often don't know where to start. To get near to some pro productions like sturgis and co you really have to put in alot of layers of sounds to make it modern and huge. Mostly I start just with a few strings or a piano to find some chords or melodies that fit. After that I'm searching some nice sounds for them. This is in my case the weirdes part. I just loop my midi data and click through the presets. This can take soo much time. How do you deal with this? Do you create sounds by yourself or do you know your presets like the back of your hand and just search for the right one? The other tricky part is how to edit glitches etc. I use to record my synth to a new track when I'm happy with it, and then edit it like I want. But this also takes hours. Is anyone having some nice hints? How do you deal with this part of production?

there's really no trick to it. you literally put in the hours it takes to get the results you want.

there's really no trick to it. you literally put in the hours it takes to get the results you want.

Yeah I expected that. Would really love to know, how many hours it usally takes for you to create such FX masterpieces like Morte et Abo or Outnumbered. There is SO much stuff going on. Sadly on most productions of mine, the FX work isn't paid, so I'm mostly working over time to create this stuff on my tracks.

Yeah I expected that. Would really love to know, how many hours it usally takes for you to create such FX masterpieces like Morte et Abo or Outnumbered. There is SO much stuff going on. Sadly on most productions of mine, the FX work isn't paid, so I'm mostly working over time to create this stuff on my tracks.

to answer your questoin specifically, morte et dabo's special fx and synths were done over a period of 3 days.