request for a synth tutorial

The latest two issues of Computer Music are entirely dedicated to synths and sampling. As in the entire magazine, all about both from the ground up. That's what I'm using as my starting point.

Aye - they have been pretty good too.

CM Synth Special

CMUS38.cover_sml.jpg

And the previous issue on vintage sounds.

CMU145.cover_big.jpg

I think some sounds require different approaches.
If we're talking about a s+s ( sample+synthesis) kind of pad then you only have layering, amplitude and filter to work with, but if you start with pulsewaves, adding PWM ( pulse width modulation), detuning the different oscillators by tiny amounts, you can get different things.
You also have FM synthesis for certain sounds...or wavetables, etc

Synthesis is really wide, it depends on what sounds are you looking for ;) but layering makes a big big difference in my experience :)

The latest two issues of Computer Music are entirely dedicated to synths and sampling. As in the entire magazine, all about both from the ground up. That's what I'm using as my starting point.

+1. CM is a good magazine usually.

There are other periodicals that delve into synth as well: Future Music is one that comes to mind (I believe it's also published by Future Networks, so if you're able to get CM, you should be able to get FM as well).