Working with an ABR wannabe band, first mix...

love the snare and toms. could you give a little bit of info on that, samples and processing. thanks.

Snare is LSD Snare 6, one of the less processed ones, and the toms are Rarefaction toms! Snare has some EQ and Comp in SSL Channel + the obligatory Tapehead, and toms are just EQ'd a hair with SSL.

Also, Sonimus Satson on every single channel/bus on this one!

Would anyone be interested in stems of this track? It would be cool to hear some other mixes but I don't want to go through the hassle if no one's gonna do it!

I would put a saturation plug over the guitars and set it to 11. The guitars sound insanely dry.

Stems are here for anyone interested:

http://www.adamwathan.com/ashes_stems.zip

Includes:
Main vocals (2 tracks)
BG vocals (2 tracks)
Clean Vocals (2 tracks)

Lead/Overdub guitars (4 tracks x 2 for DI and amped)
Rhythm guitars (2 tracks x 2 for DI and amped)
Bass (DI + line out from SVT 3 Pro)

Kick Trigger (no mic)
Snare mic
Snare MIDI (probably not phase accurate with mic if you intend to blend, just FYI)
Tom 1 trigger (no mic)
Tom 2 trigger (no mic)
OH L
OH R
Hihat
Room

FX (includes swells, bass drops, etc. consolidated for file size. Will likely want to split this stuff up to separate tracks in your session)

Snare is LSD Snare 6, one of the less processed ones, and the toms are Rarefaction toms! Snare has some EQ and Comp in SSL Channel + the obligatory Tapehead, and toms are just EQ'd a hair with SSL.

Also, Sonimus Satson on every single channel/bus on this one!

Would anyone be interested in stems of this track? It would be cool to hear some other mixes but I don't want to go through the hassle if no one's gonna do it!

awesome man. downloading the stems. cant wait to work on em.

I'd agree with the guitars needing a tad more gain. I feel like the cymbals are a tad dry, but everything else sounds fucking awesome.

Cool so here's my mix. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4650518/Out Of The Ashes MM.mp3

Also, if you wouldn't mind telling us what guitars/Bass & pickups in each that were used for these recordings. Also what interface/pre & DAW your using. Sonic quality of the DI tracking is really good. Also as i was mixing this song, i became fond of the band. Where can i find more music from them? haha

Cool so here's my mix. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4650518/Out Of The Ashes MM.mp3

Also, if you wouldn't mind telling us what guitars/Bass & pickups in each that were used for these recordings. Also what interface/pre & DAW your using. Sonic quality of the DI tracking is really good. Also as i was mixing this song, i became fond of the band. Where can i find more music from them? haha

The guitars were all done with an LTD H1000 with EMGs, bass was a Warwick Rockbass with whatever cheap stock pickups come with it. They were recorded into a Little Labs Redeye in DI mode and then into Profire 2626 preamps!

I PM'd you the name of the band, don't want to put it here so this doesn't turn up in a Google search or anything since they haven't released the track yet.

yeah my only beef is how dry the guitars are, which is personal preference anyways.
But this is a fantastic mix i love it.
mind pming me the name of this band? i wanna check em out.

Excellent dude, damn. This is great.

Guitars seem a HAIR dry and the vox could use some more dirty air (if that makes any sense) but I think this sounds fucking awesome. Was there a lot of editing in the guitars as far as timing goes or was this kinda recorded "one note at a time" like a lot of ABR-style bands do?

This is a really good mix, it's just a bit dry but its not the guitars. It just needs a lot more fun stuff in it to bring it to live, maybe some delay on the vox and a big roomy snare!

I'm going to have a crack at these stems.

I like everything, but the crashes. Compress room mic like fuck to make the mix fuller. Other than that, I think you're using too small crashes or the overhead was too far.

This is fucking stellar work dude. Just a little fuller mix wouldn't be bad for my taste.