workout music

damnromulans

Klingons do not faint
Feb 2, 2010
KLINGON
What metal do you work out to - er, rather, what metal should I work out to? I'm thinking extremely groovy with an aggressive edge is ideal. In the past I went running to Rhapsody but at this point I'd like less cheese and more aggression. Think the song "Nemesis" by Arch Enemy.

The less technical and more cavemannish, the better!

I was in the gym today and used Amon Amarth - Victorious March for my cardio warm-up (followed by Friends of the Suncross) and then just threw on Prevail by Kataklysm when I started lifting.

My old running playlist was:
The Black Dahlia Murder - Elder Misanthropy, Thy Horror Cosmic, The Blackest Incarnation, Hymn For The Wretched, Closed Casket Requiem (cooldown beginning at the middle and going to the end), Amon Amarth - Victorious March for a last burst. Worked decently.

If you want groove/aggression

Illdisposed - 1800Vindication
Devildriver - The Last Kind Words
Lamb of God - Wrath
Trauma - DetermiNation (less groove)

For running, newer Soilwork has some great songs for maintaining a good stride.

There's plenty of other good stuff I work out to but that's the easiest thing to meet your description.

That sounds PERFECT Dakryn! Stride maintenance is important since I think most people inevitably end up coordinating their music to their steps.

cardio-good music makes a huge difference in cardio for me. Im able to push myself for longer periods of time when something intense is playing.
intestine baalism, ritual carnage, judgement day, morbid angel, and luciferion are some of my faves. see below

lifting:I dont' listen to music while i lift. too focused on form and pushing myself to even pay attention to it. music is actually kinda distracting while i lift when i think about it.

enjoy

this one starts off slow then takes off like a freight train somewhere towards the middle.​

Last edited by a moderator:
a playlist with stuff similar to the following

for warm-ups, getting in the right frame of mind etc...espc for the days when you don't have the desire
once the actual workout gets going its the more uptempo aggressive stuff similar to this...
or this... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_GIJ38Pung&feature=fvst[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Entombed - Left Hand Path, Clandestine, Wolverine Blues
all Gojira albums
Heaven Shall Burn - Deaf To Our Prayers

First off, I agree with Amon Amarth. Anything with that blend of heavyness, rhythm, melody and sheer epicness is going to work well, though I'm yet to find another band that adds all four elements by the spade.

In general, less fussy about stuff for weights- anything that gets the blood going is fine, depends on my mood. For cardio, I agree that more straight forward melodeath (i.e. fairly constant time signatures and up tempo rhythm), good metalcore and groovy death stuff works well- add Jungle Rot, Malevolent Creation, Vader (Necropolis has been doing in for me recently), and I can't believe no-one has said Bolt Thrower yet.

Further random additions that have worked well for me lately:
Fear Factory- Mechanize
Immortal- All Shall Fall
Hackneyed- Burn After Reaping
Man Must Die- No Tolerence For Imperfection
Trigger The Bloodshed- The Great Depression
Behemoth in general

Oh yeah, the last two Bolt Thrower albums are really good for running tempo.

Lazarus - Onslaught and other similar thrash is also good.