Worried about a leak?

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I had posted a large rebuttal to alot of the comments posted so far, but I decided to take it down because it was just too damn long and it got a bit more heated than I really intended it to be. I'm just gonna leave this one be rather than start a big arguement here that I really don't feel the desire to be bothered with.

I'm sorry you deleted this. I thougt it was well said, and made perfect sense. I say, repost it.

Well unfortunately I permanently deleted it so I can't repost it as it was, which is probably for the best anyhow haha

I just felt like it was a bit too long winded as I have such a tendency for that. I might try to sum it up a bit better and write something again. There's a few things I do want to say that I feel pretty strongly about. I just know that more often than not, my words either go misunderstood, or people just disregard them anyhow lol So maybe I'll try to think up a new post....

In the meantime, one thing I want to say in regards to one of Lionfrost's last comments. You're right when you say that there's a difference between the band themselves offering up previews of some or all of the new disc, and people taking it upon themselves to illegally download it without consent.

Also, for the record, I'm more than happy to play the disc for people if I see them at a show or something, like I did for the Twelfth Gate and Eden's Fall guys. We're quite anxious to let people hear this!! But it's just preferable to be in control of that ourselves, rather than someone else getting ahold of the cd and taking it upon themselves to upload it and give it away to everyone, when it really wasn't theirs to give.....

I don't want to make promises but I can bet that when we see our friends here from the forum at any of the shows on the tour, we'll be more than happy to play them some of the new cd provided we have the time and means available to do so.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I just felt like it was a bit too long winded as I have such a tendency for that.
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. Last time I started reading what had been added to this thread, I timed out of the forum, haha! And that wasn't all your comments doing that, Larry.
In fact I find it interesting to hear people's views on issues like this. I've been talking about it to a friend running a record store as well and he told me the metal audience, in his experience, is one of the most loyal audiences when it comes to actually buying albums.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I don't want to make promises but I can bet that when we see our friends here from the forum at any of the shows on the tour, we'll be more than happy to play them some of the new cd provided we have the time and means available to do so.
Ha! I'll bring a friggin' boombox to the gig(s) then. :loco:

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
(...)it's just preferable to be in control of that ourselves, rather than someone else getting ahold of the cd and taking it upon themselves to upload it and give it away to everyone, when it really wasn't theirs to give.....
IMHO this is rather well phrased.

I remember Opeth's Ghost Reveries was to be released in September 2005, right? I think I had it as early as August as a leak, but not because the first thing I do is look for new leaks... on the contrary, I had heard the CD leaked and I tried as hard as I could to keep myself from trying to hear it and I just couldn't! I guess as long as there will be early leaks of stuff I really like, I will be too weak to stop myself from downloading them, even on my cruddy dialup... man was I crazy or wut!

It is interesting to read this thread.
If there is an album I "really" want to hear, I actually won't download it first. I would rather wait for the official release. I guess I still like the excitement of release day.
It is those albums where I am indifferent to that I might download.

Where do bands actually get their money from?

To me, it all seems so unfair. Of course I understand, a band needs to sell CD's so the label wont drop them etc. so that htey can continue making music, but I find it so fucked up that when i have to pay 15 euros for a CD (almost 20 dollars) only so little goes to the band themselves.

I am a student, I have to borrow 500 euros a month (700 dollars i think?) to make ends meet. Some of that money goes to music.

Well Novembers Doom I am wondering, say I have 30 euros to spend. I could go see one of your concerts, or buy 2 of your cd's. How much benefit would you get from each, what would you rather have I do, from a money and of course artistic perspective (ie "you should have the booklet!")?

AnTz0r said:
Where do bands actually get their money from?

To me, it all seems so unfair. Of course I understand, a band needs to sell CD's so the label wont drop them etc. so that htey can continue making music, but I find it so fucked up that when i have to pay 15 euros for a CD (almost 20 dollars) only so little goes to the band themselves.

I am a student, I have to borrow 500 euros a month (700 dollars i think?) to make ends meet. Some of that money goes to music.

Well Novembers Doom I am wondering, say I have 30 euros to spend. I could go see one of your concerts, or buy 2 of your cd's. How much benefit would you get from each, what would you rather have I do, from a money and of course artistic perspective (ie "you should have the booklet!")?

We get our money up front to record with. Without that advance, you wouldn't get the quality we put out. For a band like Novembers Doom, it's not about how much money we make from each sale. If we sold millions of copies, then yes, we would. You pay 15 euros a CD because it will cost an underground on average, close to $50,000 USD for recording, manufacturing, mailing promotions, magazine advertisements, and several areas to help get the CD available to anyone who wants it. Everyone is quick to jump on the price of the CD, out of that 15 euros, the distribution company gets their cut, the label gets their cut, and the band has a contracted price they will receive for royalties, AFTER all initial costs are recouped. So, for every CD sold, a band will make anywhere between 50 cents, and 2 dollars, depending how negotiations went. So, before a band sees a dime, the CD must sell enough copies to recoup that initial $50,000, and when your an underground death metal band, and the label is only profiting about 6 or 7 a CD, it takes the sales of about 7 to 8 thousand discs before the band recoups. Don't forget, any tour support or video costs is also recoupable to the band, taken from royalties. Unless you're a band selling CDs in high volume, getting paid from royalties is a very small dent, making it impossible to do this for a living.

As far as what to do with your money, 2 CDs you can enjoy over and over, seeing us live will be over after 2 hours. It' hard for me to answer that. Bands make their money touring, and selling their own merch (as long as they didn't sign their merch rights away!) So it comes down to what you want, not what is better for us, because what is best for us, is support, in any way you can continue to give it. Either buy the CDs, or come to the shows. Either one supports us in different ways.

yes... i mean, i can listen to the cd over and over again if i download it too. so the choice is between buying a cd for artwork and support (and maybe a bit better audio quality) or going to a concert, and continue listening on mp3.

if i can only spend the money once, i like going to a concert better. then of course there are also artists like dan swano who never tour, so he needs cd sales... then again, i think he cares more about making weird music then about money :D

P.S. Paul, with the hot chick right below my post in the ND and Agalloch thread my question may have been lost, but if you have any info about the 19th of november date in The Netherlands please let me know ;)

I'm in an interesting position because I've got the whole promo thing going on, which further complicates matters. With that being said, I don't download albums - only songs that a label/band officially release for promotion.

I buy a lot of albums anyway, but sometimes even if I like a promo a whole lot, I won't go out and buy the actual, full release for any number of reasons. Sometimes I will, though, to support the band and their label. For instance, despite having promos of the new Giant Squid and Unexpect (both on The End), I went out and bought the albums when they came out to get the full liner notes, plus support the individuals who made the product. The flip side is that reviews can spark other people to buy albums, thereby atoning for the free disc I received. The most views I've ever gotten for a review was for the five-man review of Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" - nearly 14,500 and climbing. Besides the people who were going to buy it anyway, I'm sure some bought it as a result of what we had to say about that album and the overall media buzz.

The thing I detest, however, is when a label releases an album, cuts production a year or so later so that copies will disappear from shelves, and then re-releases it with bonus content as if they couldn't have done that in the first place. As a completist who likes collecting, that essentially drives people like me to buy the same album twice in order to get the full package. I stopped buying duplicates a long time ago, but it bothers me since I like to have all that bonus stuff and also that labels "exploit" in that way. Just like magazines that release an issue with several, different covers for collectors with OCD and tons of money, or potential investors who don't put it together that that shit isn't going to increase in value all that much - certainly not enough to warrant spending, say, $20 to get the same $4 +tax issue with four different covers.

I've got to work on a syllabus for a class I gotta teach that starts in two days. I'm just procrastinating here. :loco:

AnTz0r said:
yes... i mean, i can listen to the cd over and over again if i download it too. so the choice is between buying a cd for artwork and support (and maybe a bit better audio quality) or going to a concert, and continue listening on mp3.

if i can only spend the money once, i like going to a concert better. then of course there are also artists like dan swano who never tour, so he needs cd sales... then again, i think he cares more about making weird music then about money :D

P.S. Paul, with the hot chick right below my post in the ND and Agalloch thread my question may have been lost, but if you have any info about the 19th of november date in The Netherlands please let me know ;)

A full ist of final dates is coming very soon!