Worst Equipment/Best tone...

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
Hey guys,
I've tried to search for something similar but can't seem to find anything so here goes...

everyone on this board likes to use the latest & greatest equipment combined with the best plugins for the job and the end result are tones that I personally would kill to have. On the flip side, I'd really like to hear what people can do with some of the worst equipment you have(amps,mics, bare minimum of plugins). Anyone interested?

Last night I mic'd a 12x12 peavey amp from the late 80's with a stageworks 7000 dynamic mic. Cleaned it up in guitar rig 2.0 and EQ'd in reaper. Funny part is, it actually came out pretty good which gave me the idea for this thread. If it sounds like fun to anyone else, I'll post up the sample of what I got last night. If no one cares, then I suck at life. Thank you.

Hey guys,
I've tried to search for something similar but can't seem to find anything so here goes...

everyone on this board likes to use the latest & greatest equipment combined with the best plugins for the job and the end result are tones that I personally would kill to have. On the flip side, I'd really like to hear what people can do with some of the worst equipment you have(amps,mics, bare minimum of plugins). Anyone interested?

Last night I mic'd a 12x12 peavey amp from the late 80's with a stageworks 7000 dynamic mic. Cleaned it up in guitar rig 2.0 and EQ'd in reaper. Funny part is, it actually came out pretty good which gave me the idea for this thread. If it sounds like fun to anyone else, I'll post up the sample of what I got last night. If no one cares, then I suck at life. Thank you.

Hey dude :headbang:

I recorded some nice guitar tone with a really cheap Yamaha EG120 & Behringer v-amp = totally cheap! Feel free to visit this few days old thread and tell me what you think about the tone. here we go:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/485689-short-clip-real-played-drums-bottle-cheap-beer.html

Greetings,

Felix Neumann

hey man, that's not bad at all!! It's actually pretty thick. I think this is a great idea to put people's production skills to the test too so we can say "you got that tone from what?!?!". On a side note, where'd you get that snare sample? it sounds great...I'll post the tone I got last night as soon as I get home today.

The most musicians/producers begin with non expensive gear. Today I love to work with some qualitiy stuff like Mesa rectifier4x12, JVM205 or Krank amps.

Nevertheless...I DON´T WANNA GET RID OF THE STUFF I BEGAN WITH! I still love it :) And it´s good to know, I get a good sound out of some cheap (not crappy) stuff.

The snare sample I recorded myself with a sm57 & a Neumann tlm103. It´s a Tama superstar snare. The drums sound of this backinggroup sample is not optimally (overheads much too quietly). I played the same with Krank gear and improved drum/overallsound...(also a thread here) look at Kranksters!!!

4x12 = 4 12" speakers
12x12 = 12 12" speakers? :lol:

Pretty sure he meant 1x12 :D But honestly, I think this place more than any other defines "making a lot with a little," though honestly, I think if you don't have a really good analog/tube rig, then digital is the way to go for budget, rather than trying to mic up a cheap amp!

I didn't take this pic, it's one i pulled from the internet. Am I correct on the size? I think the year may be early 90's

peaveya12.jpg

just imagine the size of such a beast. @Dave Black: there were old swedisch dm bands which recorded with cheap hm-2 with great results!

Yeah, but that tone is...unique, for better or worse ;) To elaborate, if I didn't have my Dual Rec half stack, I'd much rather use a VST ampsim and impulses modeling awesome gear than mic up a practice amp

hmmm my edit didnt work. Sorry for some reason I always thought it was a length by width thing. @ hoehlentroll - Thats exactly what sparked my creativity. I've heard of people doing great mixes with the worst of the worst. It'd be a great challenge for producers to come up with something sick from such horrible equipment.

ya ever see those belt amps that have a tiny speaker built into a ciggarette pack?? I'm gonna mic one of those with the headset from my xbox controller lol.

For the record, this is all shits and giggles folks. not to be taken too seriously. try it out and have some fun

i just bought a rage 158 to play at home. borrowed a medal zone, playing at the gates riffs has never been more fun lol.

the debate between metal zone and hm-3: we are using shitty boss pedals, not expensive tube amps, there is no point squabbling over which is better, or more tr00 lol. just plug in, and live in tha riffz!!