Worst plugin you've ever used?

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know why this bothered me so much, but I downlaoded the free "Studio Devil British Valve Custom" plugin yesterday, and I relized that it has to be the crappiest plugin on the planet.

Yeah, yeah - I know it's free, but c'mon. This thing should have been called the "Telephone distortion simulator" or something, because everything you run through it sounds like an SD1 connected to a cell phone.

Anyone else have a nominee for the worst plugin you've ever tried?

Bobby

not true, i use the antress seventh sign and lost angel (1176 and la2a clones) all the time. even the modern spacer isn't too bad sometimes.

the antress exciter has to be the worst thing ever though.

I also love Antress plugins.

The worst one I have ever used was the Classic Master Limiter. It has what seems like a -15 DB reduction making everything pump to shit, and doesn't even get you "master" loudness.

I didn't like how the Antress plugins sound. I know they are free and its great to have free stuff, but they need some touch to sound like the good ones for me.

:popcorn:

The amp sims that come included with Cubase are pretty horrible. If we're including sample libraries, then Colossus/Goliath have wonderful samples for everything, except electric guitars. The acoustics are even usable if they're not up-front, but I just can't imagine the electric guitars being good enough for any purpose at all.

Samples Libraries that SUCKED but might not now:

anything by EAST WEST if you are using Protools. Bought this DIRECTLY from east west (when I lived in LA their main office was 5 minutes from my studio). Asked them "this is compatible with PT right?", guy at EW "for sure man". Get home pull the install disk out of the box...right on the DISK...."PROTOOLS/RTAS SUPPORT COMING SOON". Absolutely livid, it took about 6 months for them to get a working version for PT to even work....then the sounds fucking sucked.

PLugins that Suck:

Never liked URS saturation plugin

I don't know why this bothered me so much, but I downlaoded the free "Studio Devil British Valve Custom" plugin yesterday, and I relized that it has to be the crappiest plugin on the planet.

Yeah, yeah - I know it's free, but c'mon. This thing should have been called the "Telephone distortion simulator" or something, because everything you run through it sounds like an SD1 connected to a cell phone.

Anyone else have a nominee for the worst plugin you've ever tried?

Bobby

Hehe - I use that for the lows of guitars. For that, I think it's fantastic, it's got that warm feel that I keep coming back to.

I believe most plugins have their places - you just have to find them yourself

anything by EAST WEST if you are using Protools. Bought this DIRECTLY from east west (when I lived in LA their main office was 5 minutes from my studio). Asked them "this is compatible with PT right?", guy at EW "for sure man". Get home pull the install disk out of the box...right on the DISK...."PROTOOLS/RTAS SUPPORT COMING SOON". Absolutely livid, it took about 6 months for them to get a working version for PT to even work....then the sounds fucking sucked.

In this whole post, there was nothing that would justify calling the whole plugin shit - except for the last part, which struck me. What EW product were you using? They get a lot of shit, but seldom because of the actual sounds.

nXtasyV3main.jpg

Why? Because I don't like reading the fucking manual (which by the way doesn't seem to exist :lol:) to figure out what should be a simple plug. None of those perimeters (except the 3 giant ones at the bottom) make much sense to me. Software instruments, daws, etc... are the only thing I want to RTFM to figure out.

hahaha, yeah, crysonic stuff is not too much user friendly, not only this one. did not like most of their plugins but i think it's a matter of taste (bought them with a huge discount and use them really rarely, never in metal or rock production).

and a giant +1 on URS CCstrip - tried it a hundred times and always threw it away.

i've seen some youtube comparisons of Antress and UAD, sounded quite impressive, so i think the bad reputation of the plugins, being free and being a UAD clone, makes us think of them as shitty. Dunno, should try them more.

Ah, and another plugin i did not understand was Izotope Alloy. Totally opposite to my mixing style or something. It really depends on jenres, i think.

i guess the antress stuff has improved big time over the years. i still remember the day i downloaded the old plugin pack of theirs, tried them out, and each of them sucked beyond belief and also crashed the daw every once in a while.
since then they've really stepped up imho, the new emulation stuff is pretty badass (for what it is obviously).....even the distressor clone is cool on some things.