Would love to see ND on this lineup!!!

Darn tootin!!! :headbang:
RhapsodyBand.jpg

Yeah I mean no disrespect towards Candlemass, as they're one of my faves and all but honestly I think there's a much higher demand for MDB to play here live. Every forum I look at, comments I've heard at shows and so forth, I hear people talking about how one of their "dream gigs" would be to finally see MDB. They have a very strong cult following both up north in Canada as well as down in Mexico, so I'm sure a considerable amount of people would venture into a place like Chicago if we hosted a one-off MDB gig. And of course if you add some other notable worthy bands to the bill then I think it's a total no-brainer. If it's something we can ever make actually happen, we will.

And I think it goes without saying that a show like that would probably require a somewhat larger venue than Reggie's, as much as I really like that place. I mean when ND and WoY can pack a pretty decent sized crowd into that place as it is, I think adding MDB would just make that place way too crowded. I really like the new Bottom Lounge, that place has a good stage and ample space, but I know it still hasn't really found it's "crowd" yet.

in regards to candlemass, i love the band. but without messiah, i probably wouldn't be at that interested.

judging by their US tour attendance, most people wouldn't. I prefer them with Lowe, actually.

Nov Doom/MDB/Pentagram/Solitude Aeturnus!

Wow, that's an awful lot of doom metal on a bill with us, when we're not even a doom metal band heh!

(Here's where some idiot will take the cue of saying, "But you have DOOM in your name, you HAVE TO BE DOOM METAL!!!" LOL I always love the logic behind those comments!)

Well, if My Dying Bride would headline, why not make the rest of the bill fit with them instead of fitting with direct support? The people that would fly to see My Dying Bride would most likely want to see some more doom than any other sub-genre. That's my opinion, at least.

Why have a bunch of fast-paced bands when the headliner would suck the adrenaline out of the room? I don't mean that in a bad way, of course. When I see a band with primarily faster songs, then a slower band comes on, it destroys the flow of the show, and it seems to lose people.

Personally, if you could be the openers for a one-off MDB/Anathema/Paradise Lost "big-3" show in Chicago, that would be awesome... but you wouldn't fit in with that.

Like someone stated previously in the thread, it has to be a VERY well thought out bill, and I just don't think having more than one faster-paced band on a show with MDB would be beneficial to the success of their set.

Besides, I wouldn't think of the show as a Novembers Doom show. It would be a very special My Dying Bride North American appearance, and I'd want the best atmosphere possible.

I will be at the Immortal gig. I've never seen them live and if I miss this one there's no tellin' when/if they would come back again.

I could say tons about MDB. Slinkin' on a movie quote, "If you book them, they will come." ND NOT on that bill would be a disservice and a travesty. I have hopes that a Chicago gig will happen, someday. It has to, in the name of all things metal...here's to that! :kickass:

It's funny how many different opinions are on shows like this. It just goes to show you, that no matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone.

First of all, Will I think you kinda took what I was getting at & went to an opposite extreme. Firstly, I am not so bold or arrogant to think that a show like that would be an ND gig, or perceived as us over MDB or anything, so c'mon now. Secondly, I was really remarking more about how EXTREMELY doom those other bands mentioned (Solitude.., Pentagram) are in comparison to us OR EVEN MDB for that matter. I love those bands, don't get me wrong, but I think that people keep kinda lumping us and MDB in with those kinds of bands, and personally I don't think we really fit in with them. Sure I realise that alot of fans of us and MDB also love bands like Pentagram, and that there's some common thread between 'em, but the problem with bands like ours and MDB is that we have such a crossover appeal with fans of other kinds of genres that to put us on a bill that JUST caters to that very specific doom crowd only would be a mistake. Third, I never said I would want to book us with just a bunch of fast bands (why does it have to be one or the other, fast/slow??) I mean for example, booking a show together with any of these bands like us, MDB, Woods Of Ypres, Moonspell, Katatonia, Anathema, Orphaned Land, etc..... i.e., bands who all fit together in some way but don't necessarily cater to a specific genre or "speed" all the time.....would make the most sense. I certainly wouldn't want to throw just a couple of fast death metal bands on a bill with us & Bride just for the sake of "being different", that's just as dumb as making it too specifically doom-y. Really, kinda going with Paul's last comment, this just goes to show HOW FUCKIN' HARD it really can be trying to book shows or tours, because you always wind up with people bitching about how it doesn't make sense or how they don't like the roster chosen.

I'll make it nice and simple really, and sum it all up here with this.... If we ever booked a show like were discussing here, we'd do it accordingly with two thoughts in mind - bands that would draw decently and fit well in some way on the bill.....and bands that WE want to be on the bill with and feel belong there. While it might not be an ND show in terms of us being the biggest draw & most popular band on the bill, ultimately if we are the ones who wind up putting something like this together and are the ones who make it happen (financially and otherwise), then it IS our show in terms of making the choices of who we want to see on the bill.

If we ever booked a show like we're discussing here...we'd do it accordingly with...bands that WE want to be on the bill with...

I choose Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Dimmu Borgir, John Williams with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and a reunited Pink Floyd with Gilmour and Waters.

How soon can we make this happen?

:headbang:

Mike - remove Dummy Burger (No disrespect to them, I have tried MANY times, I just can not get into them, either live or on disc), and that gets my vote!

I think with any special one-off show, you have go throw in an oddball (And by oddball, I don't mean some band that is goofy or gimmicky) band that would draw in a slightly different crowd, but would still have an interest in My Dying Bride or Novembers Doom. Orphaned Land is a good example, on the Katatonia tour. They have a younger fan base who may not be that familiar with Katatonia, but are in tune enough with the underground scene to know that even if they aren't familiar with Katatonia, they are a band they should stick around and see (and most likely appreciate).

I would think any underground cult metal band who draws (IE - Slough Feg) would draw in a fanbase who would appreciate how special a lineup like this would be, if you were to consider an "outside of the box" band.

Anyhow, I know lots of people (myself included) probably got TOO excited by some comments already made in this thread.
Whatever you guys possibly have in the works I am sure will be killer.

Considering Orphaned Land formed in 1991, the same year as Katatonia, and their first CD "Sahara" was released in 1994, anyone into the doom genre who hasn't heard of or listened to Orphaned Land before, should be ashamed of themselves.

As for other bands on a bill like that... Maybe it would be just us and MDB, and ONE opener of our choice. :yow:

As far as mikes choices go I choose Blind Guardian, I just saw them for the first time and they put on an INCREDIBLE show. Would love to see any of the others (except maybe dimmu), but blind guardian seems at least possible, unlike maiden, priest or floyd and they are one of my favorite power bands.

As far as mikes choices go I choose Blind Guardian, I just saw them for the first time and they put on an INCREDIBLE show. Would love to see any of the others (except maybe dimmu), but blind guardian seems at least possible, unlike maiden, priest or floyd and they are one of my favorite power bands.

Blind Guardian are amazing live. Bard Song live = epic.

Considering Orphaned Land formed in 1991, the same year as Katatonia, and their first CD "Sahara" was released in 1994, anyone into the doom genre who hasn't heard of or listened to Orphaned Land before, should be ashamed of themselves.

True, but esp here in the States, they were relatively unknown up until Mabool came out on Century Media.

Back