Would you give up your right to vote for $1 Million?

So you were following too close. People who try to navigate a standard driving test course while talking on a cell phone fail it badly. Everytime. It's been tested.

Lol, yes, way too close. In rush hour traffic. We were doing a pretty standard 15-20 mph for a good little bit, and it didn't seem like we'd be slowing at all any time soon.

Shock said:
Definitely following too close! I couldn't brake in "less than a second" to avoid an accident as bad as described, so yeah I guess it was inevitable regardless of the phone ringing. But apparently my reflexes are as honed because I can't even find my phone the *instant* it rings, muchless look at it. :Smug:

My phone was in my car's cup holder, where it always sits when I drive, and it rang twice before I looked down :p I would have hit her anyway, i'm sure, but it wouldn't have been as bad.

rush said:
I am definately not a big fan of the culture here(and I know that it is a cauldron of all kinds of cultures).

You should do some research about other parts of the world, talk to some people and find out where you'd like to go, then find out how to make it happen. 23 with a pregnant wife, jesus, I'm 27 and haven't even thought about kids yet.

rms said:
are you honestly trying to justify txting while driving?

YES. OF COURSE. I THINK EVERYONE IN THE WORLD SHOULD TEXT AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME.. IN FACT, IF YOU'RE NOT (omg bold italics!) TEXTING AND DRIVING, I THINK THE CAR SHOULD EITHER SHUT OFF OR BLOW UP, WHICHEVER IS DEEMED TO BE MORE DEVISTATING AT THE TIME.

Anyone have thoughts on sneezing? Blinking? Ooooh, maybe we should make it illegal to look to the side to see if someone's in your blindspot ... I mean, you ARE taking your eyes off the road in front of you

The point (mine at least) is not to make illegal every little thing that distracts a driver. Instead, the point is that there ARE inevitable distractions, and we should try to minimize those we can rather than add to them.

I am usually the last to call for more rules and regulations... when I do, you'll usually find it has to do with driving though. Everyone out there is essentially operating a lethal weapon and the sheer idiocy I see day in and day out from drivers just boggles the mind. Like I said, I'm hardly a saint, but I generally try to make driving my #1 priority when operating my car, and I try to follow the rules of the road (I usually speed on Interstates, but I'm getting better about that too). It KILLS me when I see those who think they're somehow special... that they and they alone are able to multi-task while driving... that their work is too important not to be on the phone... that they shouldn't have to wait in line in traffic and can instead pass on the shoulder or wait 'til the last minute and cut me off to take an exit. One day, I may well wind up getting shot. I honk, I gesture, and I let people know however I can that they're being flaming idiots--they usually look like they have no idea why the crazy bitch is gesturing for them to hang up, so I guess I have to get my frustrations out somehow. Tag, you're all it. :p

Rant over! :) Now, back on topic... where's my million bucks??

Lol... that they shouldn't have to wait in line in traffic and can instead pass on the shoulder or wait 'til the last minute and cut me off to take an exit...

thats totally me. Thats exactly me. I hate rush hour. It's not that I shouldn't have to, it's that I don't want to. :)

Lol... that they shouldn't have to wait in line in traffic and can instead pass on the shoulder or wait 'til the last minute and cut me off to take an exit...

thats totally me. Thats exactly me. I hate rush hour. It's not that I shouldn't have to, it's that I don't want to. :)

Guy did that in Dallas, many years ago. Ended up killing a grandmother and an infant (that were in two separate cars). The shoulder is for emergencies, not for bypassing traffic. But that's a totally separate rant for me as well.

80% of the time I see someone doing something stupid, annoying, or dangerous on the road they're talking on their damned cell phone.

I saw a great bumper sticker once: Hang up and drive!

Guy did that in Dallas, many years ago. Ended up killing a grandmother and an infant (that were in two separate cars). The shoulder is for emergencies, not for bypassing traffic. But that's a totally separate rant for me as well.

Alright, fair, I don't pass on the shoulder. When I see motorcycles do that, I want to pull over. I do, however, cut in line at exits.

I talk on the cell phone and drive. However, my converstaion is usually distracted because I'm paying more attention to the road than the conversation. Unless of course, there is virtually no traffic (usually on country roads.) Then I relax. On the interstates I stay in the righthand lane while on the phone, and put the car at a much slower speed. To be honest, when not on the phone I'm a speed-demon, and possibly more dangerous because of that.

But I guess most of you here would lynch me for talking on the phone at all while driving. :p

P.S. But I don't pass on the shoulder. Where I'm trying to be is never more important than my own safety.

Alright, fair, I don't pass on the shoulder. When I see motorcycles do that, I want to pull over. I do, however, cut in line at exits.

Sometimes you can't help it, been there, done that. What astounds me, are the people who failed to see the gazillion signs that say the exit is coming up. ;)

I don't like when motorcycles pass on the shoulders, but I will say, they've got less of a chance of doing much damage to a car, to the point it will kill people in their car, from behind. They also have the chance of missing them, and being hit by someone in a lane. :D

Apparently, more than half of americans would. NYU students were polled and found that 66% would forfeit their right to vote for a years worth of tuition.
~20% said they'd do it for an Ipod touch. an Ipod touch?! Seriously? Still, others said they'd give up their right forever for $1 million dollars.

I don't know whats worse, that people are so willing to give away their greatest power, or that they're getting so pathetic an economic education that they don't realize how little a million dollars is these days. The ignorance of The American Future is appaling.

edit: source: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html

I live in Florida, so my vote does not count anyway.

I look at it this way, having a million dollars puts me a lot closer to the people who benefit from rigged elections than those who do not.

To quote "The Call"
There aren't any Russians
And there aint no Yanks
Just corporate criminals
Playing with tanks...

YES. OF COURSE. I THINK EVERYONE IN THE WORLD SHOULD TEXT AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME.. IN FACT, IF YOU'RE NOT (omg bold italics!) TEXTING AND DRIVING, I THINK THE CAR SHOULD EITHER SHUT OFF OR BLOW UP, WHICHEVER IS DEEMED TO BE MORE DEVISTATING AT THE TIME.

LOL

The problem is that the average American could care less. The average American reminds me of a story that an old 'Nam vet told me: "When we passed the rice paddies, the farmers would wave, "Yay, America!" and then go back to their rice paddies. Then, the South Army showed up, and the farmers would go, "Yay, Republic of Vietnam!" Then, they would go back to their farming. Then, the North would show, and the farmers would yell, "Yay, Ho Chi Minh!" Then, go back to their farming. Then, the Viet Cong would show, and, you guessed it, they would yell "Yay, Viet Cong!" and then go back to their rice paddies." The moral of this story is that no matter who is in charge, whether it would be Gorge Bush, Al Gore, Adolf Hitler or Mickey Mouse, we still have our individual rice paddies to tend to.

That's a pretty dumb thing to day dude. If Adolf Hitler was running America, I'd seriously doubt people would say "yay" and then go about their jobs. Not even the Germans did that during the 30's and 40's.

Bush's approval rating is the lowest since Jimmy Carter- people care.