Would you give up your right to vote for $1 Million?

That can be sort of a misleading survey. If I knew they were offering *everyone* in the whole country the same deal for giving up their right to vote, then no, I'd be less likely to take it, because I would think that everyone else would take it, and thus a tiny minority of people would be left to vote, which could be bad. But if it was only *me* they were offering the deal to, then I'd totally take it, since my single vote would be pretty meaningless, and I could just try to influence other people to vote as a proxy for me.

Oh, and if I got $1 million today, I could retire and be set for life (I'm 30). So for people who aren't so nonchalant about their resource consumption :)D), it still is plenty of money.

Neil

I like this...you have a good point. I also think that $1 million would be plenty of money. I know its not nearly as much in today's society as it might have been a few years back, but if you invest it and spend it wisely, you would be set for life. I also don't think that our system is "broken." It might not be the perfect system out there, but we are obviously doing a hell of alot better than most other countries out there. We must be doing SOMETHING right!

Anyway, I'm still gonna agree with Neil that if it were just ME getting the $1million, then yeah...I'd take it (is it tax free? :lol:) but if that meant everyone giving up their right to vote and they all get $1million, then nah...I'd support my country.

I wish I could say I was shocked an appalled by the amount of you who don't care about voting. But, to be honest, and this is not a slam, though it certainly is going to sound like one, considering the group, I'm not.

I understand the system is broken, but it's like none of you are interested in doing anything about it, you'd rather just throw your hands in the air and yell "fuck it! I don't care!". You'd damn well better care, because like it or not, weather or not you participate in an election, the outcome is going to affect you.

Metal is all about fuck the system, fuck comformity and all that bullshit, but you all seem to be complacient in apathy.

._.

Funny, I never said I don't vote. :Smug: In fact, I do vote (though I haven't always), and I sign petitions and give money to causes I believe in. So I'd sell my vote for a million bucks. I'd also blow John Doe for a million bucks. Maybe both of those make me a whore, but it doesn't mean I don't care. We all have our price... some just delude themselves into thinking they don't.

You're reading apathy into some places where apathy is not.

Shaye

Interestingly, if I sold my vote for $1million, with that money I could probably influence more people to vote the way I would have. Thus, perhaps it would be a smart move.

But a study like this seems silly to me, because its one thing to say 'sure I'd do it' and another to actually do it. I think a lot that said the would, wouldn't, and if they did they'd feel incredibly guilty. Not only for doing something incredibly illegal, but the pure action of 'selling one's vote' would go against much of our upbringing.

I don't vote as much as I should. I need to register in this state.

Interestingly, if I sold my vote for $1million, with that money I could probably influence more people to vote the way I would have. Thus, perhaps it would be a smart move.

But a study like this seems silly to me, because its one thing to say 'sure I'd do it' and another to actually do it. I think a lot that said the would, wouldn't, and if they did they'd feel incredibly guilty. Not only for doing something incredibly illegal, but the pure action of 'selling one's vote' would go against much of our upbringing.

I actually disagree 100%... I think the opposite is true. It's easier to stick to your principles when the choice is only theoretical. Start waving that much cash is people's face, and you'd have people selling it away for $5K. Then again, I'm a cynic, a misanthrope, and a bit of an "age-ist," so take it how you want.

Shaye

With the current system, yeah I'd probably give up my vote for a period of time. I don't think I'd give it up forever...I'm a woman, it's my prerogative to change my mind at any given moment ;)
That said, I have lost all faith in our government, and the idea of voting for the "best" candidate is ludicrous when our choices are merely "the best money can buy". People really do need to go back and read the Declaration of Independence and remember what the government is SUPPOSED to do.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Would seem that the Founding Fathers understood that we tend to be sheep...I just wish more were fed up with just going with the flow because "that's how it's always been". I'm all for a revolution - let's start over. I'm certain there are GOOD leaders out there who just lack the ridiculous amount of funding necessary in today's world.

I am 23. There are places that are better than the United States, but of course it just depends on the person. Every country has it's good and bad, and I just think that the bad way outways the good in the US. There are so many issues that can be talked about comparing every country and every country wins in certain issues, but the whole mentality of this country for the most part just pisses me off. I just want to go live in a nice quiet place somewhere. I would like to drive anywhere in this country(that is a real road, not a country paved road) and not worry about getting killed all the time with everybody talking on their cell phones, and I can go on and on about everything, but I won't, I just want out of this country(who for the most part thinks their better than all the other countries and want to make themselves the ultimate super power).

I am 23. There are places that are better than the United States, but of course it just depends on the person. Every country has it's good and bad, and I just think that the bad way outways the good in the US. There are so many issues that can be talked about comparing every country and every country wins in certain issues, but the whole mentality of this country for the most part just pisses me off. I just want to go live in a nice quiet place somewhere. I would like to drive anywhere in this country(that is a real road, not a country paved road) and not worry about getting killed all the time with everybody talking on their cell phones, and I can go on and on about everything, but I won't, I just want out of this country(who for the most part thinks their better than all the other countries and want to make themselves the ultimate super power).

In Chicago, it is illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone. I find that law quite annoying personally. But the great thing about the United States, is you have 50 states and thousands of subsets of county, buroughs, and towns with laws to fit your world view.

There have to be better examples you have other than the cell phones while driving and poor quality roads (the US has the best network of roads in the world by the way) for other countries being better places to live than America.

I'm curious of some examples that lead you to know definatively that there are better places to live than America, for you personally. Why not just move to San Francisco?

Peace,
Michael

He wants to live in the mountains as a hermit, from what I can tell, basically judging all things the USA has to offer based on Texas, and a 5 year "freedom" experience. Afterall, weren't you old enough to know everything at 23?

I am just counting the days anyways until I can get a good opportunity and have the money to get out of this country anyways. I am not completely certain where I would want to move, but away from here is all I know. That million dollars would be my money to go move elsewhere and get away from this country, that to me, has not gone to hell but has turned completely into HELL.

You know, it really doesn't cost that much to get out of this HELLish country, you're already in Texas, get in your car and start driving south. You'd be out of the country pretty quick. I'm sure this horrible country couldn't have any opportunities to offer you that you wouldn't find better in any of the billion other countries you are considering.

I've said it a thousand times, the LAST thing 99% of the driving population needs is a cell phone with more bells & whistles on it. I don't care how good someone THINKS they can drive while on the phone (or texting for that matter!). Let me follow you unannounced while shooting video and you'll see what I mean. 2 friends as well as my sister have been involved in accidents directly related to the other driver's cell phone usage. In WI, I'm going to sponsor a bill where if the state won't control it, we should have another open season up here...:Smokedev: I'd like to hear our Prog Cop's (oops detective, IIRC) views on this stuff.

That being said, I can't think of another country that would offer me more than the US does...

I didnt read this whole thread, but I will just throw in my two cents.

I would take a million dollars easy. Although I already gave up my right to vote when I chose to grow a plant and get caught. Well the getting caught wasnt my choice, obviously.

If your dumb enough to text while driving just.....

wow...
Wohoo! I'm dumb enough!!!
I actually qualify for something!
Time to celebrate... eh, wait...
It is remarkably stupid.

I do not however, read the morning paper, have a coffe and shave at the same time.
At least not while driving. (Yes, I've seen someone do just that.)