Would you give up your right to vote for $1 Million?

Vbut for the most part, the government isn't actively screwing us over.

Of course, we're kept comfortable and content in no small part because the government is feeding us short-term benefits that are eventually going to screw us over quite mightily in the long term, but it's not like voting is going to be able to significantly affect that process anyhow.

Neil

You should really look at whats happening now between the housing bust and the economy, and the falling value of the dollar. If this isn't "the short term" effect on how the government and big buisness is fucking us over with dire consequences right before an election for-in-which 2 runners have the mind-set and ability to actually change how things are run, then I really don't know what is.

If you don't think Bush getting elected by a mere 2% or so in 2004 had any effect on the democrats gaining control of congress, I think you're batshit insane. Voters did that. People were sick of the way the country was being run and change happened. My vote may not have gotten my canidate elected in my state, but I was able to go to the polls and say "enough is enough of this garbage". One voice and one person may not make a difference, but 100,000 one persons do.

The problem is that the average American could care less. The average American reminds me of a story that an old 'Nam vet told me: "When we passed the rice paddies, the farmers would wave, "Yay, America!" and then go back to their rice paddies. Then, the South Army showed up, and the farmers would go, "Yay, Republic of Vietnam!" Then, they would go back to their farming. Then, the North would show, and the farmers would yell, "Yay, Ho Chi Minh!" Then, go back to their farming. Then, the Viet Cong would show, and, you guessed it, they would yell "Yay, Viet Cong!" and then go back to their rice paddies." The moral of this story is that no matter who is in charge, whether it would be Gorge Bush, Al Gore, Adolf Hitler or Mickey Mouse, we still have our individual rice paddies to tend to.

But, it gets better. Let's face it, many of the people running for President this year are barely qualified to be ticket takers at ProgPower, never mind being the President of the United States. However, the American people could not care less about anything that is not "pocket book" related. Even then, they only look at sound bites. They are more interested in the intricacies of Sanjaya Malakar on American Idol rather than the general issues of the day. Why? Because no matter what, we still have our rice paddies to tend to.

And one day the government showed up at the paddy.
"We are here to take your rice, and give it to others who need it more than you."
"How is it you can do this?" the framer asked.
"There was an election, and we were voted in," said the government. "Then we passed a law to take away your rice."
"This is not right!" said the farmer.
"That's what the other party said," replied the government. "But we won the election."
"But I didn't vote!" protested the farmer.
The government smiled at the farmer and said "Thank you"

And one day the government showed up at the paddy.
"We are here to take your rice, and give it to others who need it more than you."
"How is it you can do this?" the framer asked.
"There was an election, and we were voted in," said the government. "Then we passed a law to take away your rice."
"This is not right!" said the farmer.
"It doesn't matter because the other party wanted the same thing we did, they just described it differently," replied the government. "But we won the election."
"But I didn't vote!" protested the farmer.
The government smiled at the farmer and said "That's okay. It wouldn't have mattered anyway."

fixed.

I'd have to be offered considerably more than $1 million before I'd give up my right to vote.

Which clearly puts me in the unpopular minority here.

would you buy a second right to vote for a million?

im negotiable, we can work something out

The right to vote is not our greatest power.
The right to bear arms and revolt against an unjust government is.

Oh wait...they took that away from us already.

Not mine they haven't ;)

I have a feeling that if the country went to hell in a handbasket...the Mason Dixon line would become the new Marginal Line. Welcome to the South boys...ya'll don't come back now...ya hear!

For a million dollars? Once I have children (God forbid, right?), I'm going to be VERY interested in voting in schoolboard elections. These people have direct control over our children.

If I stay single and unmarried, I'd take the million dollars. I have nobody to care for but myself right now. A million dollars would take care of The Michael quite well.

I would imagine children would change the equation for me. Right now I'm just a selfish prick with a cat. :lol: So I'm thinkin'... gimme the money!

Question. Can I take the million dollars and acrue a little interest on it while not voting.... then give the million dollars back once I have children? :)

The Michael

I think a large portion of the "my vote doesn't really count, anyway" mindset comes from the current voting process (Electoral votes, specifically). In all reality, it really can *not* count due to the way the tallying system is set up in today's elections. Quite sad, really. I, personally, am appalled at the fact that local legislation can be voted in to be voted on, be overwhelmingly voted in to law by "we the people" only to be shut down by Federal legislation. No wonder there is such a sense of corruptly inspired apathy around today.

Even with all that, I do believe that one person can make a difference... as long as it's a whole hell of a lot of one persons that are taking action to make a difference. ;) What scares me, and really pisses me off, is that government is no longer governing... they are running a business for their own profit and, it seems, to hell with all the rest. Profit for the few or the one at the expense of our diplomacy and democracy leads my mind to think of the fall of Rome.

It's like having too many cooks in the kitchen with a giant book of old recipes and ingredients that are all past their use by dates. The head chef can't read or measure for shit and only graduated Culinary School because Daddy used to run the place. All the Sous Chefs want to do is scream at each other as to how much better they are at doing what everyone else should be doing, so nothing really ever gets done. Then... *BAM*... the orders need to go out 'cause the Reviewer for Fine Dining Mag is getting pissed along with all the patrons. Enter the Ratatouille nightmare with a shitload of vermin doing all the cooking. Everyone eating in that thar establishment would probably end up getting food poisoning. In the real world the staff would get canned, the restaurant would be closed and not allowed to be opened again until they passed a very rigorous inspection. Egad how I wish the government was run more like friggin' Emeril's. :rolleyes:

Which clearly puts me in the unpopular minority here.
I don't dislike you for believing in the system, if that's what you do, or for believing one can change the system from within.
I don't believe there is any one correct way to do hardly anything.

Besides, minority?
Very few have voiced an opinion so far.

Oh, and if I can't take that you are of a different opinion, what right do I have to expect you to let me have mine and be civil about it?

Not mine they haven't ;)

I have a feeling that if the country went to hell in a handbasket...the Mason Dixon line would become the new Marginal Line. Welcome to the South boys...ya'll don't come back now...ya hear!

I see your point, but I am somewhat skeptical...When it comes right down to it, most people don't have the guts to do anything but get in line and do as they're told...no matter how badass they think they are.

There are historic references to this point that are far too hot of a subject to really bring up but I think if you put some thought into it, you would come to the same conclusion.

I, personally, am appalled at the fact that local legislation can be voted in to be voted on, be overwhelmingly voted in to law by "we the people" only to be shut down by Federal legislation. No wonder there is such a sense of corruptly inspired apathy around today.

What scares me, and really pisses me off, is that government is no longer governing...

It's like having too many cooks in the kitchen with a giant book of old recipes and ingredients that are all past their use by dates. The head chef can't read or measure for shit and only graduated Culinary School because Daddy used to run the place. All the Sous Chefs want to do is scream at each other as to how much better they are at doing what everyone else should be doing, so nothing really ever gets done. Then... *BAM*... the orders need to go out 'cause the Reviewer for Fine Dining Mag is getting pissed along with all the patrons. Enter the Ratatouille nightmare with a shitload of vermin doing all the cooking. Everyone eating in that thar establishment would probably end up getting food poisoning. In the real world the staff would get canned, the restaurant would be closed and not allowed to be opened again until they passed a very rigorous inspection. Egad how I wish the government was run more like friggin' Emeril's. :rolleyes:
+1 I love your analogy Colleen! Great stuff.. sadly :erk:

BTW, listening to your stories and opinions about immigration issues on the patio at the Residence Inn honestly opened my eyes! It's caused me to be a bit more aware of the situation than I was while living in the north. I saw my first all-Spanish bus a few weeks ago... :Smug: Before ProgPower... no wait, before moving to Texas, I wouldn't have thought much of little things like that. I've got one for ya - I bought a new electric blanket at the Wal-Mart 3-4 miles from my house. I opened it up and the user pamphlet fell out. It was folded in half... Spanish side facing out. :Smug::Smug: Pretty soon they're going to start stocking the shelves with the Spanish labels facing forward! Oh wait, they do that already so it's easier for (....holds back....) :puke:

Back on topic... a million dollars is awful tempting and could go a lot further than my 1 vote. However, I usually find myself voting against the majority (not purposefully) so I guess my vote helps 'keep the fight alive'.. but then it's decimated by the electoral votes. Hmm... I think I'm on the fence with this one. Not surprising, since that's my political stance. :lol: I *want* to believe the system is working, but....

You should really look at whats happening now between the housing bust and the economy, and the falling value of the dollar. If this isn't "the short term" effect....then I really don't know what is.

Really? How about stuff like being able to find food on grocery store shelves, or having your neighbors hauled away by the government for undisclosed reasons, or having all services in your neighborhood under control of the mafia? Compared to that sort of "staring you in the face" stuff, things like "the economy" appear really vague and nebulous, and just not nearly inspiring enough to get people off their asses.

If you don't think Bush getting elected by a mere 2% or so in 2004 had any effect on the democrats gaining control of congress, I think you're batshit insane.

Certainly that had an effect. I never said anything to contrary. But has it really made any difference in your day to day life (either Bush getting elected, or the congressional elections)? The only reason you even care about such things is because your life is relatively easy which gives you time to sit back and contemplate politics. People who have real problems don't even notice that stuff.

For the record, I do vote.

Neil

Okay, i have to admit it is my generation that basically screwed things up with what is going on in Washington, and in reality it is you guys and gals the GenXers and GenYers that have the ability to affect major change in our political system and in the way this country is run, but to sit back and say my vote doesn't count, then your just giving up. Change can come if your willing to accept the responsibility to make that change or in this case vote for that change.

I spent 22 years defending this country, and went to war not by choice, to defend it. To my dying day I will defend Your right to vote or not to vote, your right to critizie me or anyone, to bear arms or not to bear arms.
That is what this country is built on our rights, and yes some of them may seem to be eroding away, but whose fault is that, its ours for not standing up and being counted. Read the Decalration of Independence. Get involved, no matter how small. If you can't become involved in politics then please I ASK you, don't let anarchy take over this country, don't be apathetic toward voting, and don't sell your vote for any amount of money.

I have been voting since i was of age, and i may not have voted for the best candiate every time, at least i had my say. If you don't vote then that is your right and your choice and I will defend you right and choice, but please think about it and i know you will do whatever your heart tell you to do.

Okay I am through, that is just my $.02 worth, god i hate talking politics, it makes my stomach quezy.

would you buy a second right to vote for a million?

im negotiable, we can work something out

I'd have to give up my right to vote for the 1 mil first. Your argument is moot. :p

@Urban: Given the sampling of people on this forum who have stated their opinion, I am clearly one of the few who believes in her right to vote. The majority of people on this forum who have posted their opinion seem to think that their vote wouldn't matter. Out of 24 people who have commented (I could be off by one or two) 14 don't believe their vote matters/would give their right up for 1mil. Four people have expressed somewhat neutral opinions, and six, including myself, believe our vote counts/would not give up our right. 14:6...I do believe I am in the minority.

Clearly, the ProgPower forum members are not representative of the entire US population. Unfortunately, my observations outside of the ProgPower forums aren't much different, at least in the 20-something age bracket.

But I don't dislike you for disagreeing either. I'm a believer in the right to freedom of speech, after all. :)

In the current state, I'd give up my right to vote for a new car, a new wardrobe, or maybe even a nice bottle of wine.

I've never voted, nor will I ever vote until at least the Pres. Election is done by popular vote. That way, if my candidate won by a very small margin of votes, I could really take some pride in doing my part.

As it is, Illinois votes Democratic at about a 65% clip in regards to the Presidential Election, so they certainly don't need my vote to prevail, and it won't be changing any time soon.

However, I have seriously considered voting in the next Gubernatorial election to get that dirty swine Rod Blagojavich out of office. What an embarrassment.