Wounded Land

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
Just got it. Great old school metal sound, they have definantly evolved. Damian sounds great, reminds me a bit of Dream Theaters first vocalist... Dominici ??? then at times almost like Great Whites vocalist. Lots of old school reminising here, I can even hear a bit of more commercial "metal" influence too, in a few songs. The opening riff to Consume to Live, is now one of my favorites, Karl Groom now has a few of my favorites and is no doubt riff master / writer supreme, his guitar voicing throughout, especially the last two, Subsurface and Dead Reckoning... the only other two I have... top knotch. I will be adding more Threshold to my library hopefull all... one day !

Its right there, of similair tone and range (in spots), I was only mentioning some of the flashbacks that were being triggered by finally hearing this early release by the band. I sure wish I had this back in the early 90's but sadly I was not keeping up with the latest, times were different, life was busy and I was totally unenthoused with the direction I thought music was taking with the big change that occured around 92-93.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I said his voice reminds me of Jack Russels voice at times. Not a musical comparision of style or anything similiar. I have listened to the CD many times now and I can really hear it, mostly in the higher register. Its not a bad thing at all and not really suprising because if you go back to "the day" and this is now an old recording, that high register vocal style and tone was common. I was just listening to it and heard something "fimiliar" so I tried to put a finger on it, thats all, I could mention a few other vocalists I was reminded of as well. I really like it.

Oops !

Yes I was checking out Dominici on his web site last year. I was somewhat undecided from what I remember. I would like another recording with him though.

I think there is no better cd from Threshold than Wounded Land.
This album really rocks. I first bought it when it came out and it is still one of my favourite progressive rock albums !

:headbang:

By the way: How barks Jack Russel?

What's your favourite Great White album? Mine is Twice Shy

Once Bitten is the only one I own. Someone else had Twice Shy, we just used to pass the tapes around you know. Our band played a song from each. Shamefully admitting the power ballad "Save your love" (good power ballad as far as power ballads go)and "House of Broken Love" which I choose, bluesy guy that I am. I only like select songs from most all of that old pop metal stuff, very few CD's or tapes I enjoyed all the way through, unlike progressive music where I just put them in and forget about it, in fact I struggle to name songs, I have to get out the credits, find the track, establish the title before I can even discuss any particular progressive song... lol. Id say with Great White, Rock Me, Fast Road and House of.... are my favorites but House of is the only one I remember from Twice Shy besides that Mott the Hoople song which never thrilled me.

You guys are correct Damien really doesnt sound much like Jack but something about when the two of them go really high, then I can hear it. But as I said, just a reminder of that style and tone of singing which was more common around that time, I kind of miss it.

Dominici? I don't hear that, especially not Dominici in more recent days (where, to me, he ironically sounds more like James LaBrie).

Though I have to say, I like this album a lot. :)