wow i got confused with those DI's.

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Ok, so i have been thinking for long time to get a DI box,
i read all the posts on the forum, i searched for shootouts.

it wither radiall j48 either country man 85.
i read earlier threads on it and got really confused. country man is Active right? so it means that it cant handle EMG's?
i have an Eclipse with EMG's, i have Passive jackson and a strat, i dont want it to work only with one guitar...

i was just about to order when i saw the j48 is the exact same price.. can someone give me a bone here..?

Active DIs can have large impedance, passive have lower impedance, but, due to induction, impedance of passive DIs is frequency dependent (rises linearly with frequency). Because of active nature active DIs can have clipping at large signal, from other hand passives can have transformer saturation :)
Active DIs need power supply. J48 also active DIs, Radial claims that it can handle larger signal, than Countryman (check specifications of both units), but J48 have relatively low impedance - 220 kOhm (even lower than "classical" 1 MOhm) versus 10 MOhm of Countrymans.

Active DIs can have large impedance, passive have lower impedance, but, due to induction, impedance of passive DIs is frequency dependent (rises linearly with frequency). Because of active nature active DIs can have clipping at large signal, from other hand passives can have transformer saturation :)
Active DIs need power supply. J48 also active DIs, Radial claims that it can handle larger signal, than Countryman (check specifications of both units), but J48 have relatively low impedance - 220 kOhm (even lower than "classical" 1 MOhm) versus 10 MOhm of Countrymans.

so for all around purposes - EMG's and passive guitars, is the country man the preferred choice?
active instruments need lower impedance right? but the countryman still can handle the EMGs?

Active pickups accepts any impedance, even line, difference between 1 MOhm and 10 kOhm is relatively small, at least from my own experience.
And, also from my own experience with actives (EMGs 81X and 85, SD AHB-1) output can be even lower than some passives, especially at 9 V, don`t forget about active pickups internal clipping. EMGs, that I have, lower clipping margin than AHB-1 at 9 V.
5 Vpp of Type 85 is on the edge, from my experience, I`m usually get something like 4.5 Vpp with EMGs on 9 V.
But with active pickups you can easily turn guitar volume slightly down without sacrificing your tone...