WoY now on garageband.com:

One review for "The Northern Cold" came in overnight, and as expected, it's hilarious:

"The beginning of the song made me think this song was going to be junk..but it picked up forsure...the vocals are kind of annoying...but the song has a catchy hook forsure...kept me interested right until the end...pretty dark but upbeat mood...if that makes any sense to you...i actually like this song...good stuff..just do something about the vocalist."

"Do something about the vocalist?" Like, kick him out of the band you mean? :cool:

There was also a review posted (though I can't find it now...?) where some guy said "at first I thought, whoa, total Judas Priest, the vocals sounded a lot like Rob Halford, not exactly, but REALLY close!"

WTF??? :loco: Who are these guys?

My friend seems to think you sound like the dude from Godsmack for some reason, I need new friends.

The Northern Cold
Band: Woods of Ypres, Ontario, Canada
Genre: Metal (Black And Doom Metal)

Got potential
Very cool build up to the initial scream. Like the gothic feel to the tune. Good mix on the vocals. Not really my style, but the hook is very well done, and the beat changes are pretty good as well. Needs a little more growl / less singing, though the singing is excellent in some area's. Very well put together song. Good job.
- DisturbedEarth from Leduc, Alberta, Canada on 3Dec2007

yeesh!!
The intro is unneeded. Some of the singing parts are ok but this needs a lot of work. Not really too much more to say. The chourus is way too repetitive and the song overall is just boring to be honest. I do like the break at 3:39 but it comes in way too late.
- opiateme from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin on 3Dec2007

Are you prepared to hear something different?
Guitar and keyboard arrangements are good. The song has a good variety of moods and travels through different genres of metal without sounding weird. The result is a complex mood that doesn´t sound common. I think a good production would help this band achieve very high levels.
- theanc from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil on 3Dec2007

Start...
The beginning of the song made me think this song was going to be junk..but it picked up forsure...the vocals are kind of annoying...but the song has a catchy hook forsure...kept me interested right until the end...pretty dark but upbeat mood...if that makes any sense to you...i actually like this song...good stuff..just do something about the vocalist
- afterchapterkills from Unspecified on 2Dec2007

Here's a new one:

Review of The Northern Cold by Woods of Ypres, Ont..
Genre: Metal

clean it up
intro is unnecessary. Drums aren't complimentary at all in the beginning and a little off time when they first come in. The singing isn't bad, lose the growled talking, it's not impressive. It works for skinny puppy, not so much for you. Guitars are nice but upstaged by bad growling. I'd recommend replacing the growl with some more harmonized singing, it'd really compliment the song, don't worry so much about sounding heavy, you've got the opprotunity to make a really good piece of music. The lyrics even flow well, just replace the growl with something that displays talent.
Extra Credit: Male Vocals, Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Lyrics, Melody, Beat, Mood, Originality, Most Rocking Track.

- Jerame
Wayside, West Virginia
December 5th, 2007

Don't we already have harmonized singing on all of the rest of the song? I thought the use of the black vocals adds contrast, and therefore dynamics. These guys, who obviously don't like or listen to any metal with 'extreme' vocals, always seem to suggest that we 'replace' the guy who does the heavy vocals as if they are not meant to be there, never considering that they are in the song how we intended them to be. + Who ever said we wanted to display talent? ++ Who ever said we had any 'talent'? +++ Of course the intro is necessary! How the fuck are you supposed to get in the mood to understand "The Northern Cold" without hearing some wind blowing?

:heh: :kickass:

Remember, this is the site that got the band 'Threat Signal' discovered. More reviews to come...

Ha, I'm sure if they listened to Opeth they would be like "why are those devil vocals there? They're unnecessary". Where obviously anyone who knows anything about anything knows Opeth rule because of the contrast. What silly reviews ha.

The Northern Cold
Band: Woods of Ypres, Ontario, Canada
Genre: Metal (Black And Doom Metal)

Melodic Grovey Metal
I liked it! I've never heard keyboards in a thrash song like this. Really well done! Nice arrangement kept it interesting... Just while you were jamming along the hook would change to something else equally interesting and well done. I generally don't care much for thrash metal but this was good! Even the vocals were good! I could understand everything he said. Anyway I thought it rocked! Keep up the good work!
- efoster from New Orleans, Louisiana on 5Dec2007

Oh really?
I wasn't expecting the Black metal art type of music with good clean singing. This is different, I gotta give you that. The arrangement is well, kinda a mess, but that's the point. The mood is not what I was expecting to hear. The hook is there, but not that strong. I think one more rework of this tune, and you'd really have something. Thanks
- Tboatbprod from Greensburg, Indiana on 5Dec2007

Yep, just one more 'rework' of "The Northern Cold" and it should be finished. :Smug: + The arrangement is SOLID, and traditional even, the furthest it could be from 'a mess'.

Though I'd totally drink a beer with that efoster guy from New Orleans, Louisiana, who gave the "Melodic Groovy Metal" review (1st, above). He seems nice and positive said good things!

:kickass:

More reviews to come...