Writing For New Album Complete!

Some keys on the new album, bad ass! Who played them?

Both No Reply and Dismantling Devotion also had keys on them. We just don't use them as a primary melodic instrument, but rather to add atmosphere and thicken things up. They are pretty low in the mix, but if you listen carefully to Dismantling Devotion in particular you'll hear them. That's what we did this time around as well.

If I would say that I ever noticed anything at all that had keys in them, it would be the title track. Well, besides keys on two idle tracks, and Back In The World. Who plays them; Barre?

If I would say that I ever noticed anything at all that had keys in them, it would be the title track. Well, besides keys on two idle tracks, and Back In The World. Who plays them; Barre?

Every song on Dismantling Devotion has keys on them. The two Idle tracks are actually an actual acoustic piano, not synth as I'm referring to here. I think Egan hammered out all the ones on Lost to the Living and Barre and Egan worked on them for Dismantling and No Reply. Again, they aren't melodic instruments up in the mix, they are underneath holding chords for atmosphere and overall depth.

Every song on Dismantling Devotion has keys on them. The two Idle tracks are actually an actual acoustic piano, not synth as I'm referring to here. I think Egan hammered out all the ones on Lost to the Living and Barre and Egan worked on them for Dismantling and No Reply. Again, they aren't melodic instruments up in the mix, they are underneath holding chords for atmosphere and overall depth.

I see what you are saying. I was just speaking about keys in general. That is neat though. It probably makes everything sound "warmer".

hm really? I never knew.

Yeah, we basically do them as a subtle filler. There is no keyboard player in this band so we really don't want them to be so important that they're "missing" live.
However, on the song 'DD' they are pretty loud and in fact the song starts and ends with a pretty prominent keyboard lead in addition to the ebow stuff. Barre and I were pretty excited about those keys in fact.

I think that with each record the keys get a little better and the stuff this time around will be the best yet in my (biased) opinion.

Both No Reply and Dismantling Devotion also had keys on them. We just don't use them as a primary melodic instrument, but rather to add atmosphere and thicken things up. They are pretty low in the mix, but if you listen carefully to Dismantling Devotion in particular you'll hear them. That's what we did this time around as well.

This might be a dumb question but in most of your songs on Dismantling Devotion (particularly the title track) you have that wavy sounding guitar. Is it a fretless guitar? I don't see how you get that kind of sound out of a regular guitar..

This might be a dumb question but in most of your songs on Dismantling Devotion (particularly the title track) you have that wavy sounding guitar. Is it a fretless guitar? I don't see how you get that kind of sound out of a regular guitar..
Just regular old fretted six strings here. Are you maybe talking about the ebow leads?

Just regular old fretted six strings here. Are you maybe talking about the ebow leads?

Ok, yeah thats definitely an ebow now that I looked up what one is heh. The ebow lead on the title track is just awesome for the record. Fuck keyboards, you have plenty of atmosphere.