x50 v2 cab movement vs recab 3 dynamics

HOFX

Apr 12, 2012
I did a shoot out with the new x50 cab section with its movement functionality vs Recabinet 3's dynamics function, to see if I'm really hearing anything or if it's me trying to hear what I want, and I thought I'd share it.

To keep it as independent as possible, I used LeCto for the pre-amp and power amp and GodsCabs\44.1\SM57\NO-TS\57_1_inch_cone_far_pres_4.wav as the single impulse.

I have 4 files (not in this order):
- 1 x recab 50 % dynamics
- 1 x recab 0 % dynamics
- 1 x x50 100 % movement
- 1 x x50 0 % movement

The reason why recab dynamics only went up to 50 %, is because at 100 % it becomes obvious and not in a good way for distorted guitar.

Try and guess which is which, and which one you prefer. With all things being equal, 2 files should sound the same, two should sound different in their own way.

I will post results later this week.

2014-x50-v-Recab-01.mp3
2014-x50-v-Recab-02.mp3
2014-x50-v-Recab-03.mp3
2014-x50-v-Recab-04.mp3

it's so much easier to judge differences on my own songs and playing.. preference is 4>3>2>1 but will need to listen more to guess the product

Prefer 2 and 3, it's a bit more woofy in the beginning but the 2nd half sounds nice and chunky where 1 and 4 sound flat to my ears.

Apologies for the delay in this.

Results:
1 - x50 100 % width
2 - x50 0 % width
3 - Recab 0 dynamics
4 - Recab 50 % dynamics

No one preferred the x50 with 100 % width, and most preferred no dynamic additions. Surprising.

Apologies for the delay in this.

Results:
1 - x50 100 % width
2 - x50 0 % width
3 - Recab 0 dynamics
4 - Recab 50 % dynamics

No one preferred the x50 with 100 % width, and most preferred no dynamic additions. Surprising.

For number 3, Recab with 0% dynamics, does that mean that it's the raw sound of the impulse? or does recab even @ 0 add some type of dynamics?

Yes, I meant movement, been both busy and a bit sick lately hence the delayed results reveal and the fck up. I guess I said width because I associate it with how it affects the stereo width of two panned guitars.

But for me when using x50, the movement knob is always more pleasant on than off, and the recap dynamics knob is more scratchy on than off.

For number 3, Recab with 0% dynamics, does that mean that it's the raw sound of the impulse? or does recab even @ 0 add some type of dynamics?

I was expecting that number 2 and 3 should've been identical, clean, clinical impulse response deconvolving.

How was the "lenght" knob on the X50 clips ?

Onqel or someone else, how important is this setting on the overall tone/balance ?
Is it better to set it at max value to enjoy the most out of the IR you use ?

Onqel or someone else, how important is this setting on the overall tone/balance ?
Is it better to set it at max value to enjoye the most out of the IR you use ?

For my self I have found that the length increases the low end response and "room" feel in a very pleasant way. Setting it 100% with some of the IRs I use makes it a bit to much so I cut it back until I find the sweet spot.

~scott

Is it better to set it at max value to enjoy the most out of the IR you use ?

Maximum length. I'm not sure how recab handles this as there's no adjustment, if it's set length for all impulses, or maximum possible.

Isn't there a thread over on the fractal audio where clive/cliff says that going longer is better because you get more low end frequencies - and part of sampling theory where the lowest frequency theoretically possible is half the number of samples taken.

Maybe I need to post the guitar tracks on their own. I'll see if I've got time tonight. Might also do some null testing to see if x50 nulls against recab with no dynamics / movement.