XXX Master Volume

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
If I have the XXX Master Volume at full and the channel volume way down, it sounds great.

Conversely, if I turn the Master Volume way down and the channel volume up, I can get the same loudness as above, but I lose a lot of tone, particularly in the high end.

Why?

The channel volumes are simply master volumes before the master volume.

They 'should' sound the same either way you do it. Either the loop is changing your tone or the way the pots are placed/valued is affecting how the amp is loaded down in that area, which could affect the tone.

Edit- See my post below, the XXX does things a bit differently than most amps.

Just took a look at the schematic. If you look, the channel volumes are pre EQ, then the signal goes through or around the loop, and into another driver tube before hitting the master volume. So yes, doing what you did will make a huge difference on tone.

If it helps any, when I had my XXX I used to set the channel volumes to about half way, and then adjust each to match volume based on what I had in the loop. Then I wouldn't touch them, and just use the master to control volume.

Brought my XXX to the repairguy last week for maintance and retubing. Asking if he wanted to put EL34's in it. He disadvised me it and told me abit history of tubeamps and stuff. He also said to turn the master all the way open to let the beast really out. At max mastervolume the Powertubes are also bringing extra overdrive to the sound. Never did it in 10 years. Very curious how it is going sound when i get him back.