yamaha hs-80 m monitor

miche

Jul 21, 2006
Has any of you tried the yamaha hs-80 m active monitors? Any feedback on their sound? They are pretty cheap but I heard they sound really good.

I definitely need new active monitors. I may invest a lot and buy PSI, but I am hesitating...

I have them and I like them very much. They are quite bright but that's the way I like it (uh huh uh huh) :kickass:
I used Alesis M1mk2 before and they are crap compared to HS-80

Love mine.. took a two weeks or so to get used to coming from KRK RP-5's.

These moni's really reveal everything about a mix, and I found, I was able to start 'hearing' compression alot better soon after getting these..

I've got the HS50Ms and they sound gorgeous, I just need a sub for the really low stuff. I actually like my mixes a little bright, and these do that perfectly, but they have a top end shelf to adjust to taste. The options are surprisingly versatile actually.

Thanks for your replies, guys. So obviously, they sound like a good thing to buy. But still:

These moni's really reveal everything about a mix, and I found, I was able to start 'hearing' compression alot better soon after getting these..

I think this is what I am looking for. Let me explain: I tried the PSI 21-2 (more info here, if you don't know about them already: http://www.psiaudio.com/products/prod_ster_21_2.html ) that a friend of mine bought recently. I checked a test mix I did to see how it sounded on better monitors and it kind of ruined my life. I could obviously hear that my snare was brutally pulled down by a too heavy compression / limiting, which was NOT audible on my own monitors. I felt like a kid that suddenly realizes that he may not know everything on anything, that Santa is a commercial joke and that he is not the son of his father, like the latter seems to think. In other words, I felt cheated by my current monitors.

Since a good hearing is the probably the most important when mixing, i am really hesitating between putting 4500$ for a good pair of monitors, or if something in between can be enough. the idea is to keep them for a long time. Any advice, anyone?

Thanks for your replies, guys. So obviously, they sound like a good thing to buy. But still:

I think this is what I am looking for. Let me explain: I tried the PSI 21-2 (more info here, if you don't know about them already: http://www.psiaudio.com/products/prod_ster_21_2.html ) that a friend of mine bought recently. I checked a test mix I did to see how it sounded on better monitors and it kind of ruined my life. I could obviously hear that my snare was brutally pulled down by a too heavy compression / limiting, which was NOT audible on my own monitors. I felt like a kid that suddenly realizes that he may not know everything on anything, that Santa is a commercial joke and that he is not the son of his father, like the latter seems to think. In other words, I felt cheated by my current monitors.

Since a good hearing is the probably the most important when mixing, i am really hesitating between putting 4500$ for a good pair of monitors, or if something in between can be enough. the idea is to keep them for a long time. Any advice, anyone?

Something in between CAN be good enough. Almost any monitor will work, you just need to LEARN/ADJUST to how the monitors sound and more importantly, how they translate to the 'real world'.

I wouldn't spend $4500 on monitors alone if my room wasn't treated properly. Id rather spend $1,000 on monitors and the rest on proper treatment. The best monitors in the world arent going to equal hardly shit in an ordinary bedroom.

Something in between CAN be good enough. Almost any monitor will work, you just need to LEARN/ADJUST to how the monitors sound and more importantly, how they translate to the 'real world'.

I wouldn't spend $4500 on monitors alone if my room wasn't treated properly. Id rather spend $1,000 on monitors and the rest on proper treatment. The best monitors in the world arent going to equal hardly shit in an ordinary bedroom.

i agree wiith cj here:kickass:

Argh... I may very well buy those yamaha if they are something to be used in the meantime, so as not to spend too much on something that will need to be changed one day. My room is in deed crappy, acoustically wise. It would be smarter to invest on more useful things until I get a proper place to record and mix.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Argh... I may very well buy those yamaha if they are something to be used in the meantime, so as not to spend too much on something that will need to be changed one day. My room is in deed crappy, acoustically wise. It would be smarter to invest on more useful things until I get a proper place to record and mix.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah I went with the 50s so I could afford the acoustic treatments. It really seems to be the thing to do. My next project is gonna bring in enough to get ahold of the subwoofer so well see how that goes. If you can afford the 80s and some auralex room treatments I say go for it, those monitors are really flat