Yamaha NS10M

Feb 1, 2009
Hey i need some quick advice... i am about to purchase a pair of yamaha ns10m studio monitors and they are the ones that stand upright (not horizontal). Just wanting to know if they will still be as good as the horisontal ns10 that alot of professional producer's use (e.g. Sneap)

cheers guys

2 versions of the NS10

NS10M and NS10M Studio, the studio ones have redesigned tweeters and crossover i believe, i use both in the studios i have access too, i much prefer the studio versions (ones that have the writing so that the monitors are horizontal to read it)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

one of the best articles on the NS10s, read it!! :D

Cheers man... just read through that review and it is great. Do you recon they will be to bright and harsh without the redesign? how about the sn10 as well?

I've got two yamaha HS50M monitors at home and they're great!!! They are actually the new version of ns10... You can read about that in the yamaha manual... Good choice man....except of course if you got plenty of money, then I'd recommend Genelec or Mackie :D

yer been looking at them aswell... But whats about these sn10's modelled after the ns10's but a bit more improved? i have read a couple of reviews and they have said just as good if not better? anyone got any info on these offsprings?

im sure a friend of mine had them and said they broke within a few months :/ they are also bigger 8" cones as opposed to the 6" ones in the NS10s, the HS50/80 series sound very different to NS10s, its a good idea to have another set of monitors when using NS10s mainly for the bottom end reference. NS10s are great for getting everything siting right in the mix, but they dont have that bottom end so you actually 'feel' your mix

im sure a friend of mine had them and said they broke within a few months :/ they are also bigger 8" cones as opposed to the 6" ones in the NS10s, the HS50/80 series sound very different to NS10s, its a good idea to have another set of monitors when using NS10s mainly for the bottom end reference. NS10s are great for getting everything siting right in the mix, but they dont have that bottom end so you actually 'feel' your mix

Yeah I noticed that on mine monitors. Well there are some instructions how to set them up in the manual, nut I have them nearthe wall and I have to put the ROOM CONTROL knob on -4dB, but then there is no low end. so I had to tweak them a bit to get some basses coming out... I the end you just have to get used to them...

The only thing i'd like to add about purchasing monitors is that,if you are able to,try them out first in your room.I know it's not easy to manage it,but you can borrow leave some money down etc.
I think each room is so different and what would work say in one room or the show room,may not come across the same way in your room.

If on the other hand you already know this type of monitor and are used to it's qualities then discard what im saying.

Makes sense Styvo.

Personally, though, I think the biggest factor is getting used to the monitors. I think you can mix on just about any speakers, as long as you know how they sound. The speakers I mix on (HS80Ms) are the same speakers I listen to my music on. So, everyday I get more and more used to how these speakers sound with professionally done mixes on CDs, and thus, I can get the balance of my mixes better.

Well, I can say I really like my HS80M's, and I also like NS10's. They're not the same, but they have a similar vibe. I like that I can sort of "emulate" the NS10 sound with the +2db middle boost when mixing, but keep it off when I do other stuff. Haven't heard the HS50M though, apparently they're even more NS10 sounding.