yesterday...Opeth!

FatherVic

MasterMelon
Oct 10, 2001
trollcave
Hi there....I know this is offtopic....but as it seems so many ppl liking Opeth too here (it's a shame I can't follow the Opeth forum, no time snifff)
Yesterday I attended the Opeth gig here in Barcelona...
First of all played Novembre, which impressed me on the studio albums, but shamefully are not mature on live performances. Awful sound shamefully and a bad voice, though I still love their four albums!!!
Then came Katatonia...ehmmm I know some of you will hate me for this, but it was dull, boring and static. Damn! I nearly fall asleep. They get stucked and doesn't move at all. nearly all the songs where the same and just one song from the oldies!
And finally Opeth.....arghhhhhhhhh!!!!! why I can't see them each night and just one??? It was amazing!!!!! I think their was the second best appearence in wacken'01 and that was just 35 min, yesterday they played 95 minutes and it fucking ruled. This guys are so technical, so good, so "as_one" as a band. I think this guys are the Dream Theater's of death metal :)
I understand some ppl really doesn't like the style but to me is so amazing, THAT is a drummer and no the monorytmic Katatonia has! and how can Akerfeldt sing that growls and instantly later sing so clearly...just amazing...the ones who doubted if to see them on tour...just drop there and enjoy!!!!

oh,I really envy you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
lucky boy!!!!!
Thanks for posting this :D Opeth kicks ass!! it is one of the most serious and talented bands in metal!!
And yes,I understand why you don't like Katatonia... I have talked with many about Katatonia's case and I completely understand that.....
So,despite the fact that I like Katatonia too much (especially the early stuff-for some personal reasons),I'll be polite with you
:D

i will never get to see Opeth.... :cry:
It is a mere destiny I thought....

how very sweet. opeth were (right after anathema dynamo 99) the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me from a stage... :) just yesterday, while taking a long, long bath i listened to Orchid for the first time since uhm, i don't know when, and i wasn't far from metamorphosing into something really ugly cause i just wouldn't leave the bathtub anymore...:loco:
nice to know of your existence, brethren (and, of course, whatever is the female equivalent).

How was the setlist?

Did they play songs equally from each album as usual, or was the gig more concentrated on the last two albums?

-Villain (eagerly waiting for those rumored Scandinavian tour-dates)

Well you know how this things go, when you're having an orgasm you can't even remember the color of her eyes...errrr sory, I meant the setlist :p
but well actually they played some songs from each album. And I think they played just one from Still Life, but I can't really remember....the played Advent, The Drappery Falls, The Lepper Afinity and well can't remember of the rest....oh well the encore was Demon Of The Fall...just delighting to see The Drappery Falls live :)

@terria: I have Anathema here next thursday, I hope they play a lot a lot a lot from Alternative 4 :)

@Jo: I think is being prepared to do some kind of Australian/Japanesse tour I guess

@~Mel~ Thanks for comprehension. I know for some ppl the Anathema gig will be a pain in the ass and I'm sure I'll love it. That's why I understand some ppl still like some Katatonia live.
And don't worry, may be you have the luck to drop some year to wacken and they happen to play there :)

Good for you but have to point out a couple of things.

Opeth really isn't a technical band. The music is much more based on the atmosphere than technicality. Second, Opeth isn't death metal!

Originally posted by MacMoney
Good for you but have to point out a couple of things.

Opeth really isn't a technical band. The music is much more based on the atmosphere than technicality. Second, Opeth isn't death metal!
Who gives a shit? there are enough technical or classical death metal bands if one wants to listen to..Im sure you know quite a few as i do..
Listening to music is not a f***ing science experiment where one has to bother about technicality and definitions...grow up!!

hahaha thanx addicted, exactly what I thought.
Mac, hey if Opeth are not technical, Katatonia are a band who have never seen a guitar. I don't know if I should call them atmosphear or watever, but to me it's death metal, no black, no heavy, no thrash....no gothic....no viking....no more genres to my little brain

@FatherVic... Count me in for support! Thanks, I´m _really_ lokkin´forward to the Scandinavian tour now...:)

Anyway...

-phyros out-

I saw Opeth, and I think that band is more expressive with his kind of... er... death-technical-pretty-original-metal than bands like Katatonia, that I saw live few months ago and I didn't see the drummer (well, I saw an ugly man at drums, but not like a drummer in fact, hehe), and two guitars are too many people for a band with this poor guitar style. So, FatherVic, I'm completely agree with ya, man, despite your little intelectual capacity (or your little brain with a great capacity, I really don't know!

I hope you are feelin' good when you're reading this lines, and... stay on! Hi there to everybody, and the frog singing under the water! See ya!

Opeth aint no easy deal to play on guitar...it has some elements that not just everyone can play and some classical fingerpicking that mikael almost plays with a correct classic guitar technique ( wich is a lot to say most people who fingerpick do it in the worst imaginable way ). But the word technical i would use to describe a band like Cryptopsy on drums or Cynic on guitar. Cynic Focus its the single most impressive death metal related cd i have heart in techniques because most death metal have your typical trembolo picking, tappings leggatos and the like, the talented ones include maybe sweeping but Cynic does alernate picking wich is something just 3 bands i know use extensively and do it RIGHT Cynic ( wich are the masters at ) Dark Tranquillity ( check Minds I ) and Death ( check anything from human to date ). Now thats something not that usual in death metal and imho much harder to master than leggatos or tapping or trembolo picking ( unless is trembolo picking alternating strings in a fast fashion wich is really only usable on solos and just people like Schuldiner really master others just are good at )

@phyros, and you'll have a great time man, you'll have it :)

@|ngenious: hhehehe thanx, feeling good at the moment, :)
keep the frog singin'

@Misanthrope: I know what you mean, even Cynic are not my cup of tea (well actually I never gave them a second oportunity, I'll give them now, any album in concrete??) But when I meant with technical, was as a band. Not only in the things they played. Not only in the way the play it live, but also the complexity of each of the instruments (including vocals) and the complex structures of those songs. And see them play them perfectly live it just amazes me, and specially on drums which are awesome!!!
Death is IMHO a great band, and Schuldiner does his best in Sound Of Perseverance, it's a shame I never saw them live. But the only band technically better (in a whole) than Opeth is Dream Theater, specially live!!!

I spoke to the guys at the record shop where Micke works and they said that there won't be a Scandinavian tour. He who waits will see...

its really frustated when great expectation turned to bad. i did have this 'phenomena' in hammerfall, they such a great band though. they made me slept after 15 minutes it being held. anyway, hope its only the one monotrymic gig of hammerfall. i know it.

the liveliest band for this week- deicide + slayer.