Yet Another HEX Update...

rgbeach

Feb 11, 2002
Chicago
www.hexology.com
Just to keep you guys informed...

I am smack in the middle of recording vocals for the CD, which we've named "Our Synthetic Soul". Some of the parts are coming along very quickly, while others are presenting some challenges. The most important thing with vocals (other than singing in key!) is coming up with strong, rememberable melodies. So, with this in mind, I have been revisiting many of the vocal parts ensuring that we get the best possible takes. It's moving along, though, and all vocals should be finished by 2/14.

I am also working on guitar solos, when I'm not doing the vocals. The good news (for me, anyways) is that there will not be a solo in every song. Some of the new tunes just don't warrant having a guitar break, usually because they already have a melodically and rhythmically strong bridge. But, where required, I am progressing on composing and recording the solos. I should be finished with these in the next couple of days.

Other than that, I am doing some minor ProTools editing when opportunities arise. We are also working on the artwork for the CD, which will likely be derived from photographs and images that best represent the context of the lyrics and music. We have asked a couple of people to come up with some designs, but are prepared to do the work ourselves, if necessary. Like everything else with the CD, we want the artwork to be the best it can be!

So, again, the name of the CD will be "Our Synthetic Soul". The tracklisting, not necessarily in this order, is:

- enlightenment
- wurm
- shut it down
- juice
- a new age
- choke
- age of mystics
- fragment (cell my sole)
- put it off

We have pretty much decided that our primary means of distribution will be through mp3.com. The good news is that all the tunes will be encoded at a high bit rate of 192khz and will be available for free download for everyone. If you are interested in getting an actual CD with artwork and liner notes, you will be able to purchase directly from mp3.com. We will also make the lyrics, liner notes, and artwork available for download from hexology.com, so you can grab all this stuff, download the tunes, and make your own CDs. The key here is that we are not trying to make any money with this CD, but rather trying to get as much exposure as possible.

My plans are to have this thing finished around 2/25, though it may take mp3.com a couple of days to approve everything. But, we're getting close.

Finally, for those of you that have taken the time to visit our forum and post messages, we will be sending you a free copy of the CD. This will not be an mp3.com CD, but our own burns directly from the masters. The artwork may be slightly different, as well. So, if you want one, reply to this message and send me your mailing address in a private message.

That's all for now.

Bob

Mr. Beach,

Just a quick technical question: If I use 'Synthetic Soul' can I still switch back to regular soul after 3000 miles or three months?

Love the CD sampler. Can't wait to hear some of the new stuff.

Chris

Originally posted by Chris P
Mr. Beach,

Just a quick technical question: If I use 'Synthetic Soul' can I still switch back to regular soul after 3000 miles or three months?

Love the CD sampler. Can't wait to hear some of the new stuff.

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the post, man!!!

Hey man just cruzin around and bam look what I found.. I would like to hear some of your stuff, sound like your doing some serious work. I feel for ya i am right in the proccess myself learning and so on and so forth bla bla bla bla bla... see ya brudda.

Originally posted by Trevor
Hey man just cruzin around and bam look what I found.. I would like to hear some of your stuff, sound like your doing some serious work. I feel for ya i am right in the proccess myself learning and so on and so forth bla bla bla bla bla... see ya brudda.

Hey Trevor,

If you go to www.hexology.com there will be a link to hear the 3 tunes from our demo. If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

As far as my playing is concerned, I'm having to completely rework my right hand picking technique. I've been playing for about 16-17 years and of course I've been using alternate picking from day one, however, I've realized that at fast tempos (176bpm and above) I was locking my wrist and picking from my elbow, if that makes any sense. So, I'm going through the slow process of fixing that and learning to pick from the wrist. It should help me attain higher speeds and better accuracy. We'll see...

Bob

Originally posted by _Cha0s_
hey, if it isn't a problem I'll love a free copy, that'll be great

Hehe, this is truly weird... the image you use as an avatar was made by me many years ago! It's originally an image by Alan Lee I think... I took the dragon head and encased it in flames and used it as an award for cool homepages (back in the day when I had a homepage myself... it was called "Infernal Chaos" as you can see on the award). I had no idea these things were still out there... nor did I ever imagine I'd run into it here at the UM. What a coincidende :D

Originally posted by Nefilim
Hehe, this is truly weird... the image you use as an avatar was made by me many years ago! It's originally an image by Alan Lee I think... I took the dragon head and encased it in flames and used it as an award for cool homepages (back in the day when I had a homepage myself... it was called "Infernal Chaos" as you can see on the award). I had no idea these things were still out there... nor did I ever imagine I'd run into it here at the UM. What a coincidende :D

really? damn... I had this image downloaded in my computer, I don't really know where it came from. I just thought it would be cool to use it as an avatar.

Originally posted by rgbeach
Hey Trevor,

If you go to www.hexology.com there will be a link to hear the 3 tunes from our demo. If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

As far as my playing is concerned, I'm having to completely rework my right hand picking technique. I've been playing for about 16-17 years and of course I've been using alternate picking from day one, however, I've realized that at fast tempos (176bpm and above) I was locking my wrist and picking from my elbow, if that makes any sense. So, I'm going through the slow process of fixing that and learning to pick from the wrist. It should help me attain higher speeds and better accuracy. We'll see...

Bob

Hey Bob,
Just downloaded three songs and I have to listen to them and i wiil get back tyo ya. Lotta work going on here for our show in March. Yes I know what your saying about the whole cross picking thing, I have had to re work a few things myself lately. as far as the BEER GOOD keep going and we will owe you a whole brewery:lol: :lol: :lol: laters Trevor

"It's February 28th, so where's the new HEX CD that they've been assuring us will be available by the end of February?"

Well, it appears that we've planned way too optimistically. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, we've encountered a couple of minor problems and some things have just taken longer than we expected. So, where are we at? The recording is finished except for a couple vocal parts in "a new age". I've just finished mixing "enlightenment" and "wurm". Over the next 3 days, I will be mixing "juice", "put it off", and "choke", re-mixing "shut it down", "age of mystics", and "fragment", and finishing up "a new age". All of this will be followed by a couple days of mastering. Then, we post everything to mp3.com and wait a couple days for them to approve the songs. So, if everything goes well from here on out, the tunes should be available for download on Friday, March 7.

I will also do my best to mail out the limited edition numbered CDs to everyone on Thursday, March 6. I want to set your expectations properly, though. These will be CD-Rs, burned from the masters, with custom labels based on the mp3.com CD artwork. They will be enclosed in simple white sleeves and will not include lyrics or other liner notes - you can get all this stuff from the web-site, if you want it. These really will be limited, as I will only burn 100 copies. Plus, they're free so don't complain! :)

Well, that's the update for now. Gotta get back to work!

Bob

P.S. I've attached a the artwork for the CD cover to this message - let us know what you think!

Attachments

• frontcover-small.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2
after my last email, i created yet another song. so now i have seven songs, one filler, and one or two solo keyboard parts with tony. damn, i almost have an entire album. this is getting pathetic. oh, and bob, i think i may have a singer. Hydra is getting close. The revolution is about to begin. and i'm out of demos, damnit, so i may burn some more copies of SOUL FRAGMENTS out of my own stock. it's the least i could do. well, i may have to leave now. programming work is calling. man du elendil.

I know, I know, we're continually missing our "deadlines" for releasing the CD. All I can say is that we are trying to make it as close to perfect as possible. That ultmately means mixing, listening, re-mixing, listening again, mastering, listening, and then repeating the process all over again. Actually, I was ready to start burning CDs last Thursday (March 6). But, upon listening to the master, I felt that a little more work was necessary.

So, I made my journey to Dan's place (in Colorado), spent a couple of days away from the mixes, and got back to work yesterday AM. Dan has been lending his overly sensitive ear to help with the adjustments, and I think that everything is sounding significantly better, as a result.

So, we should have the mixes and mastering finished today. That means we can start the burns and mp3.com uploads tomorrow. And, hopefully, mail the CDs out to folks before the end of the week.

For the 4 of you that care, we apologize for the delay. But, I think you'll be happy with the end result.

Bob