Yet another long song

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hey guys,

been a while since I posted anything here. Here is a new song that I recently finished (should probably rerecord some things that are a bit out of tune though, hopefully it's still listenable).

I have been thinking about putting together an instrumental album this summer. Dunno if many people really dig this type of music without vocals, usually instrumental stuff is more jazzy/experimental/post-whatever-ish, but who cares :).

Anyway, here is the song:

soundclick stream: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=960121&songID=9125152

dropbox mp3: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1063820/gluten.mp3

Comments about song/mix/prod are appreciated!

i am always waiting for new songs from you...and, i really like this ambience song.:) specially i love 5.20-5.40. that part is AMAZING.
did you use your usual clean guitar chain? i´d like to know what you used.;)
and that bass sounds good too. studio devil bass?

As always, the song is amazing. The snare could use a little more lows, but I guess that's really just to taste. The kick is a little lacking in the low department too, could use a it of beefing up, but other than that, fantastic as usual. You really need to find a singer to collaborate with man!

I liked the snare. And the rest of the mix. except the kick, didn't work that good in those double kick parts.
You've definitely cleared things up. Your earlier mixes had lots of mud in it, though I can't say that was a bad thing either.

The song was quite similar to some of your recent songs. But as usual it had an epic chorus that destroys everything.
Great work!

Listened to it more today, should probably rewrite some parts/make it shorter. It gets a bit tedious to listen to.

eternally gutted, Nauru: Thanks guys! never too sure about the kick, I suck at low mixing.

I liked the snare. And the rest of the mix. except the kick, didn't work that good in those double kick parts.
You've definitely cleared things up. Your earlier mixes had lots of mud in it, though I can't say that was a bad thing either.

The song was quite similar to some of your recent songs. But as usual it had an epic chorus that destroys everything.
Great work!

Yeah, I usually have to much reverb and delay, probably why it sounds so muddy
Haha, sorry I seem to be addicted to epic choruses, I'm trying to quit I promise:lol:. Yeah I realize that my songs sounds a bit similar, I should probably try to do something totally different for more variation.

Whats the details man? Sounds amazing!

This is too good! Please share what you will on how you achieved such an amazing sound!

Dist guitars are just lepous LeXTAC, bass is 2 tracks of ampeg svx (one highpassed with a tubescreamer in front for a bit more top edge), bass is then compressed and saturated.
Clean gtrs are just regular SoloC with lots of compression with the TLs2095A plugin + reverb(Vienna hall from acousticas impulses) and delay TAL-dub2.
Drums are sup 2.0 with 50% blended SSD Snare8z1, 100% replaced kick SSD 5 and some hp at like 50hz removing some of the lows. The drums are then sent to two busses, one for percussive stuff, toms+snare+kick and one for room+oh. The percussive buss is compressed with some extra bus compression to glue then together more. Both these busses are finally sent to another drum bus with a bit more bus compression + tape sat sim.

Anything in particular you want to know?

the low bass chain is just:

ampeg svx default model, gain turned to max ->
10ms/auto 4 ratio compression, around 7 db max (this depends alot on your playing/bass/pickups etc though) ->
eq cut 6 db at 240 hz, boost 3db at 360, boost 3b at 2500 hz.

high bass track is:

TSS settings: 6.2/4.5/7.2 -> ampeg svx ba-500 model max gain -> comp 10ms/auto 3.5 ratio, ~13 db max ->
hp 450, boost 1.2db at 660, boost 4.3 at 2300.

bass bus is just some tape saturation + high end boost and small mids cut.

Haha, sorry I seem to be addicted to epic choruses, I'm trying to quit I promise:lol:. Yeah I realize that my songs sounds a bit similar, I should probably try to do something totally different for more variation.

I think that it´s the epic choruses that make your songwriting really good. Your songs fit a style but I dont think they are so similar. Anyway, this is another really great song of you. I am digging it.