Gojira Cover - Wolf Down the Earth (s2.0,8505,soloC,studio devil bass)

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

I'd tame the reverb/room sound on the snare a bit, and maybe go with a slightly more dampened snare for less clang and turn the kick down just a tiny tiny bit. Other than that I think it's great. :)

Snare doesn't have enough snap or crack to be Gojira IMO. It's too dark and would fit better in something like The Fall of Troy or something. The kick could have some tighter and beefier low end too, but otherwise it sounds very good!

<3 Gojira

Good playing :)

Thank you for the comments everyone.

I Updated the mix, changed the snare a bit and lowered the kick. Same link.

the kick could have some tighter and beefier low end too, but otherwise it sounds very good!

Yeah, I tried to get that beefy low end but I'm not sure how to really. First I tried having two kicks with one pitch shifted 100% down a couple of db lower in the mix, but that just sounded weird.
Eq:ing to emphasize the low end just made it sound strange.

No idea how they get that sound.

And is that kick superior or replaced?

Replaced, used some samples that Dandelium posted a while ago called bombos something. Everything else is superior.

Here is the guitar chain:

soloC -> 8505 -> 1on-pres5 catharsis impulse -> sneap c4 -> EQ on pic -> curveEQ from the intro of the original song.

then i exported the track and did some further EQ while mixing:

another sneap c4 -> highpass 80 hz, lp 9514 hz, -1.5 db cut 7443 q 7.0

gtrs_gojira.PNG

Much better now but I still want a "wetter" snare! More smack! :)

Overall, it's very good though. Awesome to hear Gojira covers dude!

Hehe, yeah I know there is something "wrong" with the snare, tried a lot of EQ/verb configurations but when one part of the song sounded good another sounded bad.

You probably need to play a lot with the velocity, since the sound varies alot from part to part. Very good drummer.

Hmm that was a while ago.

I used a single track of studio devil virtual bass. boost switch off, 50% gain, bright and deep on. Then just some compression 10ms attack, like 6 db reduction avg. Then some eq to boost 150hz 3db, cut 230 hz 5db, cut 450 hz 11db. boost 2300 hz 5 db. Nothing fancy.