Yngview Malmsteen

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
I know that Malmsteen is Romeo's maybe biggest influence, but what do you think of him? I myself haven't heard that much of his stuff, but I listened to him guest on Derek Sherinian's "Blood of the Snake" album. I have mixed feelings about his playing there. Too much shredding, but there are a few good solos. He is pretty unpopular figure in the US it seems, ever since he slagged off the American culture in an interview long ago.

Andy LaRocque is a much better neoclassical player IMO. But "Unleash the fucking fury"-Malmsteen's fun.

America has a shit culture so what.

Andy LaRocque is a much better neoclassical player IMO. But "Unleash the fucking fury"-Malmsteen's fun.

Yeah, it is pretty shitty, but the first post is not accurate.

Yngwie actually defended America after 9/11 and walked off stage in South America after being booed for playing The National Anthem. Derek Sherinian also said some very harsh things after the event in a newspaper.

Also, I think the best playing he ever did was On Derek's Black Utopia album. It gave me goosebumps in some places, especially Axis of Evil. Check it out if you can.

1.) Yngwie loves America and is pretty vocal about it.
2.) I don't know about him being Romeo's biggest influence. Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, and a few others definitely have a huge influence on Romeo, too.
3.) Yeah Noble Savage, Yngwie rules on Black Utopia.
4.) Rising Force is the best shred album ever, and you should check it out, Slaydon.

He is pretty unpopular figure in the US it seems, ever since he slagged off the American culture in an interview long ago.

WOW ! Im getting a hell of an education today, how could I have been so blind all these years.... decades.

The only thing Ive heard Yngwie criticized for is that pretty much after 15 minutes you have heard all he has to offer. He becomes repetative and far to predictable. Outside of that creative issue I think he is one of the finest players ever.

Im just wondering what part of "American culture" it is that sucks ? Is it the hispanic culture ? The Afro American culture ? The Arabic culture ? The Asian culture ? The urban culture ? The suburban culture ? The media culture ? The Californacation culture ? Or is it the culture of all us dumb fucking white breads in general ? I'm just wondering because I've lived here 50 years and was never involved in any of those cultures... though I must be part of the dumb fucking white bread culture for my ignorance in whats so shit and different about our culture as opposed to _____ culture ? Please do tell, Ill gladly move to any designated europhic culture so I too can live a life in ignorant bliss.

:lol:

LOL nice fucking post Razoredge, and I agree with you totally. I like Malmsteen but I to find he gets borring and repetative. I don't think Malmsteen was a huge influence on Romeo, many people think he was because of their mild resemblence! If anything his biggest influence was John Williams!

I think the discussion is his playing, not his politics. I'm sure we don't know the political views of all the musicians we chose to listen to.

I don't even really consider myself a fan of his, but I was a young player when he arrived on the scene and his impact has been unrivaled since.

He's the guy that defined shred...period. Anyone playing that type of music has been influenced by him in one way or another whether they know it or not.

He took electric guitar to another level.

Jealousy breeds criticism...he has lots of critics. I think any shred player becomes repetitive...that's why I prefer them in a band situation as opposed to these ego stroking solo efforts.

If you don't like shreddy, over the top stuff...listen to his work with Alcatrazz...No Parole from Rock 'n' Roll...IMO the finest example of tasteful, yet jaw dropping guitar, executed with feeling, finesse, great phrasing and dynamics. His first solo effort too...Rising Force...is an absolute classic...many of the songs there have become shred standards such as Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun. And we're talking '81-'83...no one had seen anything like him.

Taken from the SymX website: Michael Romeo quote...

Then there was the 'Alcatrazz' album with Yngwie Malmsteen. To me, he had a classical influence similar to Rhoads, the style and vibrato like Uli Roth and the speed and articulation of DiMeola. That first 'Rising Force' album was another big influence on me. Although I was familiar with some classical music ( Bach, Beethoven and Mozart ) due to my piano playing, Rhoads and Malmsteen led me to investigate applying classical music to the guitar in a rock/metal context.

I think the discussion is his playing, not his politics. I'm sure we don't know the political views of all the musicians we chose to listen to.

I don't even really consider myself a fan of his, but I was a young player when he arrived on the scene and his impact has been unrivaled since.

He's the guy that defined shred...period. Anyone playing that type of music has been influenced by him in one way or another whether they know it or not.

He took electric guitar to another level.

Jealousy breeds criticism...he has lots of critics. I think any shred player becomes repetitive...that's why I prefer them in a band situation as opposed to these ego stroking solo efforts.

If you don't like shreddy, over the top stuff...listen to his work with Alcatrazz...No Parole from Rock 'n' Roll...IMO the finest example of tasteful, yet jaw dropping guitar, executed with feeling, finesse, great phrasing and dynamics. His first solo effort too...Rising Force...is an absolute classic...many of the songs there have become shred standards such as Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun. And we're talking '81-'83...no one had seen anything like him.

Taken from the SymX website: Michael Romeo quote...

Then there was the 'Alcatrazz' album with Yngwie Malmsteen. To me, he had a classical influence similar to Rhoads, the style and vibrato like Uli Roth and the speed and articulation of DiMeola. That first 'Rising Force' album was another big influence on me. Although I was familiar with some classical music ( Bach, Beethoven and Mozart ) due to my piano playing, Rhoads and Malmsteen led me to investigate applying classical music to the guitar in a rock/metal context.
Yeah, most of those that bash him are just jealous of his playing ability. He's got it all that man, a prodigious musical talent, the attitude that you gotta have in the music biz and the looks. C'mon, don't be ashamed to admit he's handsome!:lol:

Hes a great showman.

I wont agree totally with Schenk, I heard shred long before Malmsteen. His classical element, speed and articulation applied to metal is where his credit lies. I havent heard all his music but if one listens to two recordings or watches two videos of his it doesnt take long to know you heard that before. Another observation I had was that hes not much on writing riffs but I have been told he has some good ones I just cant find them on the three old tapes I have and didnt see him play a single riff on G3, hes all about the wailing which he is no doubt a master... though not very diverse.

I think Romeo has it all over Yngwie as a well rounded player/composer.

Hes a great showman.

I wont agree totally with Schenk, I heard shred long before Malmsteen. His classical element, speed and articulation applied to metal is where his credit lies. I havent heard all his music but if one listens to two recordings or watches two videos of his it doesnt take long to know you heard that before. Another observation I had was that hes not much on writing riffs but I have been told he has some good ones I just cant find them on the three old tapes I have and didnt see him play a single riff on G3, hes all about the wailing which he is no doubt a master... though not very diverse.

I think Romeo has it all over Yngwie as a well rounded player/composer.

We are talking about neo classical shred, right? Not blues based, fast, hard rock players like Schenker...or guys with classical(and Hendrix) influence like Uli Roth. I was around back in the day and can't come up with one I'd consider a "shredder" who came before him. I don't put Van Halen, Rhoads, Frank Marino and guys like that in the same classification. Malmsteen really defined that area, IMO. There were some great players, but when Yngwie came on the scene it changed their direction.

What players did you have in mind, razor?

What players did you have in mind, razor?

I wont argue on the neo-classical end but as far a speed shreding... you've already excluded the rockers but they were still shredders. I would put Eddie in there for sure and he even hit on some classical elements, different as he is from Yngwie. But for shrear shredding, Maclaughlin and especially DiMeola were far earlier than Yngwie and most know Yngwie listened to DiMeola. Then there was Zappa, no sloutch and a guy Jan Ackerman from Focus who excluding song writing blew most of the hardrock shredders out of the water. He may very well be the one deserving first credit for applying some classical elements to "rock". Then I dont know the history of Paco De Lucia but geeze... he shred.

I see what you mean in this strict context by saying "He's the guy that defined shred" but you probably left out some important words like "metal" and also stressed the word "period" and its just imposible with DiMeola floating around since 1973/4 and ignoring all other guitar players through history including jazz, blues and possibly classical (I wouldnt know) who always have seemed to try to play as fast and awesomely as they possibly could.

Then of course your origional shredders were violinists... (ignoring piano players)... whom Yngwie nearly cloned. None the less hats off to Yngwie for his undeniable contribution to metal

BTW - I have NO Uli and would like some recomendations, probably post Scorpions

:)