Yngview Malmsteen

I wont argue on the neo-classical end but as far a speed shreding... you've already excluded the rockers but they were still shredders. I would put Eddie in there for sure and he even hit on some classical elements, different as he is from Yngwie. But for shrear shredding, Maclaughlin and especially DiMeola were far earlier than Yngwie and most know Yngwie listened to DiMeola. Then there was Zappa, no sloutch and a guy Jan Ackerman from Focus who excluding song writing blew most of the hardrock shredders out of the water. He may very well be the one deserving first credit for applying some classical elements to "rock". Then I dont know the history of Paco De Lucia but geeze... he shred.

I see what you mean in this strict context by saying "He's the guy that defined shred" but you probably left out some important words like "metal" and also stressed the word "period" and its just imposible with DiMeola floating around since 1973/4 and ignoring all other guitar players through history including jazz, blues and possibly classical (I wouldnt know) who always have seemed to try to play as fast and awesomely as they possibly could.

Then of course your origional shredders were violinists... (ignoring piano players)... whom Yngwie nearly cloned. None the less hats off to Yngwie for his undeniable contribution to metal

BTW - I have NO Uli and would like some recomendations, probably post Scorpions

:)

I guess you have a different idea of shred...I guess Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian were the first shredders.:lol:

Uli...get Scorpions In Trance, Virgin Killer, Taken by Force
post Scorps...Electric Sun's Earthquake and Firewind

Jeff-not that your point is invalid in any way, but Yngwie is CLEARLY (or at least much more audibly) a greater inluence than Vai or Lane.

Yngwie deserves credit for his massive influence and for really establishing that style of guitar playing. No question about it. I don't think he is the best player in that style, but those who are better *probably* wouldn't have gone where they did without Yngwie's influence. One thing I will say for him is that he's got more passion and energy to his playing than most ever will. Yeah his playing get's extremely redundant and his bag of tricks isn't very full, but unlike most "shredders" Yngwie actually hears/feels what he's playing.

I honestly don't know what the hell your point is... i think PoS is a terrible band, that has nothing to do with Gildenlow's views on our country or his ability as a musician. Is that cool with you or should I come up with a better reason?

Hey, man, that's fine with me. Most of the time you're complaining about PoS, it has to do with Daniel as a person. I was just pointing something out that I found funny, I was not really trying to stab at you.

For the most part, I agree with what you said originally. Judge a musician by their music. Personality is an added bonus, if it matches your tastes.

Jeff-not that your point is invalid in any way, but Yngwie is CLEARLY (or at least much more audibly) a greater inluence than Vai or Lane.

Yngwie deserves credit for his massive influence and for really establishing that style of guitar playing. No question about it. I don't think he is the best player in that style, but those who are better *probably* wouldn't have gone where they did without Yngwie's influence. One thing I will say for him is that he's got more passion and energy to his playing than most ever will. Yeah his playing get's extremely redundant and his bag of tricks isn't very full, but unlike most "shredders" Yngwie actually hears/feels what he's playing.

Thank you...can't stand when people say he has no feel...clearly they have no idea what that is...like it says...you have to feel it. Players loosely throw around the word feel...very few really get it.

And it is quite obvious Yngwie would be Romeo's major infuence.

Not to sound too old farty, but being there and being a guitarist in the early 80's, you guys can't understand the impact this guy made...it was like he dropped in from outer space.

Also...Yngwie at least has some idea of tone and articulation...some shredders look great flying up and down the fretboard, but it hits your ear like a box of razors...ex. Rusty Cooley, Chris Broderick, Matthew Mills, etc., and talk about no feel.

Who do you feel is better in that style, Meedles?

I guess you have a different idea of shred...I guess Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian were the first shredders.:lol:

Why, Is there somewhere where it says must use harmonic minor in order to be called shred ? Arpegios in order to be called shred ? Does it say must be flat picked in order to be called shred ? I dont recall acurately from last years flat picking topic but DiMeola is right up there in flat picking and one of the first I recall placing emphisis in flat picking. Which brings another pre Yngwie flat pick shredder to mind, one Steve Morse. Neither DiMeola or Morse used the penatonic much... if for some reason use of the blues scale eliminates one from "shredder" status. Kinda humorous to think SRV cant qualify as a shredder. I recall a shred competition held in Albany in the late 80's, thats what it was called too... "Shred competition". Guitar players came from great distances to show their shred on stage... the guy that won... primarily a bluesy player that had such command of his fret board and taste that he blew everyones mind. Oh well, Im pretty sure shred refers to ones ability to tear up the fretboard... shred it... with ear invigorating sound. So Yngwie might have redefined "shred" or addded another element to shred (same as SRV redefined shredding the blues) but he was by no means the first shredder.

Meedley

I do see Romeo using alot of solo techniques often that Yngwie never uses. The only connection I hear is the neo classical element and it seems to be considerably different/not cloned which is great because he writes great compositions and solos

I like your second paragraph for expressing the point, but I do think hes the best by way of your last sentence. I can tell the difference between Yngwie and the rest, the rest seem so dry by comparision. As Shenk also mentioned tone and articulation and I will add expression. I also like the fact that he uses the Strat tone, a hard tone to conquer in that style of music, undeniably present in his sound as is his expression and vibrato.

Thank you...can't stand when people say he has no feel...clearly they have no idea what that is...like it says...you have to feel it. Players loosely throw around the word feel...very few really get it.

Indeed, much like they throw around "enlightened" as well...

Not to sound too old farty, but being there and being a guitarist in the early 80's, you guys can't understand the impact this guy made...it was like he dropped in from outer space.

Hell yes, I'm right there with you on that, Michael. When I bought my first electric guitar, after saving up money from my paper route for 11 months, I also took home a copy of this:

Gplayer.jpg

After reading the article, I had to find out who this guy was. Once I got Rising Force (on cassette), everything changed.

Andy LaRocque is a much better neoclassical player IMO. But "Unleash the fucking fury"-Malmsteen's fun.

And the point most old farties will make is that there would more than likely be no neoclassical Andy LaRocque without Malmsteen. That's not to say classical's influence in metal was not firmly rooted in metal before Malmsteen, but without Malmsteen you don't have the virtuosity he brought to the scene.

razor...I think the guys you mentioned would smack you if you called them shredders. In many camps, "shred" suggests a negative connotation...flash vs. substance.

Shredding implies a guy playing metal in a neo classical style with speed, sweeping, tapping, etc....I think that's how most people view it.

I guess it's all semantics.

Agreed on all accounts ABQ!

And the point most old farties will make is that there would more than likely be no neoclassical Andy LaRocque without Malmsteen. That's not to say classical's influence in metal was not firmly rooted in metal before Malmsteen, but without Malmsteen you don't have the virtuosity he brought to the scene.

I know how important Malmsteen is and has been to a lot of musicians and guitar players. Doesn't mean he makes better music.

razor...I think the guys you mentioned would smack you if you called them shredders. In many camps, "shred" suggests a negative connotation...flash vs. substance.

Shredding implies a guy playing metal in a neo classical style with speed, sweeping, tapping, etc....I think that's how most people view it.

I guess it's all semantics.

That was what DiMeola was most critized for, flash over substance. I believe SRV recieved some of that too

So that would mean that Vai and Satch arent shredders... ? What then, just soloists ? Virtuosos ? but if you do it neo classical you are a soloist, virtuoso... shredder, like one honour higher ?;) I just cant wrap my head around such a fine line

sounds like another exampe of a small group taking over an expression and appling it solely to promote their position. I wont agree, shred means shred, shred the guitar, its an expression not a singluar technique.

But thats just based on my interpretation of english :)

That was what DiMeola was most critized for, flash over substance. I believe SRV recieved some of that too

So that would mean that Vai and Satch arent shredders... ? What then, just soloists ? Virtuosos ? but if you do it neo classical you are a soloist, virtuoso... shredder, like one honour higher ?;) I just cant wrap my head around such a fine line

sounds like another exampe of a small group taking over an expression and appling it solely to promote their position. I wont agree, shred means shred, shred the guitar, its an expression not a singluar technique.

But thats just based on my interpretation of english :)

It's funny when you listen to DiMeola now how that was considered flash.

Vai and Satch...nah...they're just old and boring and lame.:lol: I'm going to get my head handed to me on that one.:lol: Kidding...sort of.

Dumb DiMeola side story:

When I was in high school, me and my friend Ken went to DiMeola's house late one night in a drunken stupor(he lived in the same town). We knocked on the door hoping he would give us tickets to his upcoming show at the Ritz in NYC. He answered the door and said to come see him, but no tickets. So, we left a case of our empty beer cans on his lawn. Stupid kid stuff...still makes me chuckle.

Ah, "better" implies opinion, and opinions are like assholes, right?

Exactly my point. Regardless of what Malmsteen has done people still have different tastes. Somebody could be the most influential person in the world and still make shit.

I should probably put in my signature or something that everything I write is my own opinion and not someone elses. I usually sound like I state "this is how things are". Because they are. To me.

umm ive been a fan since i was 10, i have 8 of his albums and his concerto suite dvd. hes amazing but he gets verrrrrrrry old and repetitive and newer videos of him are very sloppy

At this point he could probably care less about practicing.

I have that dvd...I haven't been able to stomach it all the way through.

IMO...Alcatrazz-No Parole from RocknRoll and his first solo Rising Force...after that, you don't need anything else.