Yngview Malmsteen

His new stuff might get old and repetitive, but his first 3 solo albums never get old to me. His playing back then is unbeatable - and when people say he didn't have any feeling, I wonder if they're fucking deaf.

I do see Romeo using alot of solo techniques often that Yngwie never uses. The only connection I hear is the neo classical element and it seems to be considerably different/not cloned which is great because he writes great compositions and solos.

I would agree... I for one have never seen Yngwie use that crazy legato-tap thing that Romeo does in almost every solo. Plus, I have noticed that Romeo rarely "shreds," in the best sense of the word. Most of Romeo's playing is smooth, and rarely contains that "razor blade" feel of typical shredding. For example, I can only think of two solos right now off the top of my head that have "shredding" in them - Walls of Babylon and Revelation.

I would agree... I for one have never seen Yngwie use that crazy legato-tap thing that Romeo does in almost every solo. Plus, I have noticed that Romeo rarely "shreds," in the best sense of the word. Most of Romeo's playing is smooth, and rarely contains that "razor blade" feel of typical shredding. For example, I can only think of two solos right now off the top of my head that have "shredding" in them - Walls of Babylon and Revelation.

Yeah...he's influenced but he's certainly not one of the many Yngwie clones.

Pretty much anyone playing in that similar style has been influenced by Yngwie.

Obviously over the years, many more over the top techniques have been introduced and mastered.

It's funny when you listen to DiMeola now how that was considered flash.

yeah.... OK

Dumb DiMeola side story:

When I was in high school, me and my friend Ken went to DiMeola's house late one night in a drunken stupor(he lived in the same town). We knocked on the door hoping he would give us tickets to his upcoming show at the Ritz in NYC. He answered the door and said to come see him, but no tickets. So, we left a case of our empty beer cans on his lawn. Stupid kid stuff...still makes me chuckle.

I remember you telling this before, so are you saying its personal ?

Obviously over the years, many more over the top techniques have been introduced and mastered.

would that mean Yngwie could no longer be considered......... flashy ?

I think I'm finally wrapping my head around this whole guitar shredding thing

;)

this thread is awesome. The "old farts" are fucking owning up and down (and jeff too, because jeff doesn't touch dicks).

I used to be of the mind that he was overrated and blah blah blah. I just never got into shred guitar until fairly recently (as i am not a guitarist and honestly don't give a flying shit about wankery) but I'm beginning to find out that there ARE guitarists who are not only about speed, but have great phrasing, melody, and are capable of making a coherent song. Yngwie is one of them.

yeah.... OK

I remember you telling this before, so are you saying its personal ?

would that mean Yngwie could no longer be considered......... flashy ?

I think I'm finally wrapping my head around this whole guitar shredding thing

;)

I told that before?...see...I am getting old.

I still think Yngwie owns them all.

BTW...I am a DiMeola fan...all the way back to Land of the Midnight Sun.

No parole from rock and roll is just a fantastic album, its even better than his first solo album imo, his playing was awesome back then, theres some live stuff on youtube, and its great.

I grew up listening to Malmsteen and loved it. I still love a lot of his playing, but I lament his propensity for soloing through everything. The guy's written some cracking riffs and songs in the past but doesn't seem able to write the songs any more. That said, that is just my subjective opinion... I have avoided his last few albums as Alchemy was the aural equivalent of wading through treacle for me personally - if there's a return to form in his more recent albums there somewhere then let me know, I'll give it a spin! However, the guy is an immense talent whether I appreciate his more recent stuff or not, and he's one of the people who inspires kids to pick up guitar and have a go. Can't say fairer than that. :cool:

My favourite Malmsteen song (by far) is Leviathan off Fire and Ice. That to me, is an amazingly well executed piece of guitar work.

I have been listening to Yngwie for a long time. He is very superior to most players that is a FACT. Romeo is amazing as well but I can very much tell them apart when I listen to them. Romeo has more of a wide note selection then yngwie does. Yngwie sometimes sounds very alike to his own material and it CAN get old. I love both of these players though no matter what. They are revolutionary!