Malmsteen discussion/debate

DANTHEMAN454

Apr 21, 2006
Myself..personally...I wouldn't walk across the street to see that sumbitch play.....BUT.....

I came across this video (see below) the other day, and it has sparked a certain amount of debate amongst some other friends of mine, that I hope can be imported here.

We all know that Malmsteen is Malmsteen...that's not the debate. The debate rages as to the tone that he's throwing down in the video. As in the tone of his guitar.

I say that he's pushin it thru an old tube amp. Others say that it's because he's using the largest gauge strings that he can find.

Anyway, the discussion was fun over there. I can only hope that it can continue herein. If not....:headbang: :headbang: bastids!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SzW8fi8z5C8&search=malmsteen

DANTHEMAN454 said:
I say that he's pushin it thru an old tube amp. Others say that it's because he's using the largest gauge strings that he can find.

Well these "others" should do a little research on our buddy Yng before they say anything :) That video is from his Full Shred video, and for the video he was using a Fender Roc Pro 1000, which IS a tube amp. Plus, anybody who is anyone knows Yngwie doesn't use thick guage strings AT ALL. For years he has played with .008-.048's. So you are right, and they are wrong.

Mumblefood said:
Well these "others" should do a little research on our buddy Yng before they say anything :) That video is from his Full Shred video, and for the video he was using a Fender Roc Pro 1000, which IS a tube amp. Plus, anybody who is anyone knows Yngwie doesn't use thick guage strings AT ALL. For years he has played with .008-.048's. So you are right, and they are wrong.

Well I'll be Dan. I got sump'n right. :kickass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510105

Part of Malmsteen's sound is also the guitar itself (click the link above). His pickups are DiMarzio's and they're wound differently than most (DiMarzio YJMs - they're his signature pickup). Add to it that the scale length of the Fender Stratocaster is slightly longer than most guitars (25 1/2 inches) allowing for better articulation of the notes.

Also, watch the pickup selector switch while Yngwie is playing. Most of the time, he's using his neck pickup which allows him to get that somewhat bass-heavy tone.

sumairetsu said:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510105

Part of Malmsteen's sound is also the guitar itself (click the link above). His pickups are DiMarzio's and they're wound differently than most (DiMarzio YJMs - they're his signature pickup). Add to it that the scale length of the Fender Stratocaster is slightly longer than most guitars (25 1/2 inches) allowing for better articulation of the notes.

Also, watch the pickup selector switch while Yngwie is playing. Most of the time, he's using his neck pickup which allows him to get that somewhat bass-heavy tone.

Also watch his right leg. He's constantly kickin effects pedals on and off.

P.S. Hombre....

you said....
Part of Malmsteen's sound is also the guitar itself.

I would assert that ALL of Malmsteen's sound comes via the guitar. But that's just me.

DANTHEMAN454 said:
I would assert that ALL of Malmsteen's sound comes via the guitar. But that's just me.

I was referring to the actual tones of the guitar, not Mr. Malmsteen's playing. I know his sound comes from his guitar. It also comes from his fingers, microphone, oversized head, etc.