Yngwie Malmsteen's New Album "Relentless"... WTF happened?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, so there's some decent songwriting on here. Sounds much more like a classic older Yngwie album songwriting wise, but wtf is up with the production? Sounds like complete shit. Maybe he did this all on analog equipment trying to capture the old-school vibe? I've seriously heard better production and mixing in our 'rate my mix' thread from amateurs.... and Yngwie has been doing this for how long now? I know he did all the tracking and production himself in his home studio... but you'd think he would have picked up something by now. "I don' want anay fookin' donuts!!!" :lol:

Yngwie hasn't had a good production in years. I think it's just that he insists on doing things on his own, when he probably shouldn't. I would love for him to work with a good producer at some point. Maybe even somebody that would tell him to focus on instrumentals again, not half-assed songs with vocals.

"Facing the Animal" was one of the last pretty damn good cds he did and the production was really great thanks to Chris Tsangarides
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnH1WEFwOro&feature=related[/ame]

"Facing the Animal" was the last of his vocal cd's I purchased. I think it was pretty solid. I really like his bach concertos album, but that was probably because it wasn't recorded by him in his own studio. lol. But his last few have definitely sucked hardcore. I thought Tim the "Ripper" would be able to save this one, but nope. Oh well. Even Marty Friedman's j-pop self-produced shit sounds miles above better than this. I would think that if he weren't so arrogant and just a pompass jackass, and if he would just humble himself a bit, he could sit down and learn how to produce a bit himself and make a great sounding album. Was this his thought process? "Ay there gorgeous! Look at all that badass sexy jewelry. It's 2011, fuck all this digital shit. yeah, lets use analog and make an album that sounds like a shitty demo from the 80's.. good idea self. I'm the best guitarist in the world. Note to self, great new album idea for 2012: remember to solo more in harmonic minor."

A local music shop had his new album for $12 the first week it was released, last week they bumped it down to $10, and this week they marked it at $7. I still won't buy it. :lol:

sounds pretty crapy to me

i listened to that on Youtube, and everything seems to be panned towards the left. but that was probably youtube or something. here listen to that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44uXlbJqvCs

You are correct... all guitars are mostly panned to the left. It's like he was mixing in mono or something. lol. And btw, it's not just youtube... my friend bought the cd and it's like that on the actual album. :bah:

ym%20search.jpg

The one thing i use to love about Yngwie was his amazing tone. On Rising Force the amount of gain in his setup was pretty moderate at least to my ears. But lately his tone is just horrible, over gained and over compressed with tons of noise. Many times right at the end of one of his leads you can actually hear the noise from his chain.

This album i belive is all the left over tracks from the last album. I recall him saying he had recorded like 30+ tracks. At least the instrumentals are always listenable.

No offense to anyone, but even several people I know have made comments about the guitars only being on one side as well. I don't get why people are thrown by this. It's not like it's the first Yngwie album with guitars on just one side (Magnum Opus immediately comes to mind). And definitely not the first metal/hard rock album to have the guitar(s) panned to one side. I WISH that was the only issue with this CD. :lol: