Yngwie Malmsteen's New Album "Relentless"... WTF happened?

ym%20search.jpg
Quality motivational poster material right there!
Huge yngwie fan here but in all honesty everything since Alchemy was shit. Kind of sad to see. As he said himself "i am my own enemy".

Yeah he does the production himself. Shame.

If you wanna hear some Yngwie with good production, check out the Derek Sherinian's Blood of the Snake. It also has a certain beserker on guitars. And it is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don´t get it, Why he insists to produce it? He´s such a lousy producer :lol: I yesterday have listened to a couple of songs on my monitor set up. It was like ear-cancer, goddamit! He should sign up here at the sneap forum.

And definitely not the first metal/hard rock album to have the guitar(s) panned to one side.

One guitar-man bands of the 70's and 80's did that. Guitars to one side, keyboards to the other, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep... those bands were influence for Yngwie...

An example of hhard panning guitars and keyboards to different sides (BTW, fucking epic song)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven´t heard the new Malmsteen record yet...Yngwie is an old hero of mine and with every new record he releases I stupidly hope that it will be a good one...but no. The same with one of my other favourites: Queensryche...the new records aren´t really good, but I am still hoping and continues to buy them

One guitar-man bands of the 70's and 80's did that. Guitars to one side, keyboards to the other, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep... those bands were influence for Yngwie...

An example of hhard panning guitars and keyboards to different sides (BTW, fucking epic song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfldLLadNWk

Those bands had some cool songs, but boy does that guitar panned to one side thing sound like shit.

I was a big YJM-fan when I was younger, but things really changed after Facing the Animal or actually after Concerto, what was a really great release too (and even the live version a bit later).

On the early path from the debut to Odyssey he had some great songs, but also a lot of fillers, maybe Trilogy was the worst in this case, but still all those had "something" on them that made them great albums overall. Eclipse and Fire & Ice were amazing albums with a bit different sound and a great singer! The Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus again felt a bit different with a bit more modern approach and not as strong musicwise, not bad, but especially on MO it just lacked something. Facing the Animal was and still is maybe the most "whole album" Yngwie has done, great production, great songs, great performances.

Since then everything has changed and the new album is not the first one with a very strange mix, I remember to listening some of the albums after FtA and thought someone had muted the left-channel accidentally, but sadly it was not a mistake, but a direction they've kept since those days. It's not like the new songs are bad, but the 2000- albums sounds like demos instead of real albums. And hell, I mainly listen black metal, so it's not like I'm after a perfect sound.

Best Yngwie albums.

I Don't Know, Hairtrigger and Bad Blood didn't really cut it for me, but now that I look the tracklist on MO again, I can say that I was indeed wrong, it has very good songs on it. Maybe few a bit weaker, but still not as much fillers as I remembered and a lot less than the "classic era" Yngwie. However, these two albums sounded a lot different than other Yngwie-albums, not bad, but different.

Then again, Yngwie himself dislikes F&I and for me it's one of his best work.

Yngwie has become incredibly lazy with age;

In the beginning of his career his solo's where fresh, production great and his live shows were amazing. He would play the songs note by note from the album with incredible accuracy (Just watch the Live in Leningrad concert)

But after playing Far Beyond the sun for the 1,000th time he started to improvise out of boredom id imagine. And it went down hill from there as he took the same lazy approach to his albums. It would surprise me if he didn't actually compose many of his early solo's instead of just improvising a couple times until it sounded "good enough". To me it appears that he simply isn't trying anymore. But who can blame him when he is a one trick pony and has done the same trick for the last 30 years...

It's disheartening when I realize that the production on my self produced album is far superior to my former idols latest albums and when I see him live I find myself thinking "Damn it Yngwie, just give me the guitar and i'll play Far Beyond the sun for you, note by note as you composed it"

Hopefully with age he will focus more on the classical component of his style rather than the rock part. So he will approach it with discipline and actually compose something of substance instead of this mindless improvisation he has been doing for the last 15+ years. (Concerto Suite being the exception)

/End rant

Yngwie has become incredibly lazy with age;

But after playing Far Beyond the sun for the 1,000th time he started to improvise out of boredom id imagine. And it went down hill from there as he took the same lazy approach to his albums. It would surprise me if he didn't actually compose many of his early solo's instead of just improvising a couple times until it sounded "good enough". To me it appears that he simply isn't trying anymore. But who can blame him when he is a one trick pony and has done the same trick for the last 30 years...

you are correct sir

His old singer Mike told me that he basically came in to track his solos and had pretty much NOTHING composed, not even an outline. Its about 99% improv but unfortunately he keeps drinking from the same well. He'll do several takes and just go with the one that had the most "variety"

Those bands had some cool songs, but boy does that guitar panned to one side thing sound like shit.

Extreme do it and I don't mind their production at all, also a lot of Van Halen, it doesnt sound shit at all.

Surprised people listen to Yngwie in all seriousness, he is actually pretty shit.

you are correct sir

His old singer Mike told me that he basically came in to track his solos and had pretty much NOTHING composed, not even an outline. Its about 99% improv but unfortunately he keeps drinking from the same well. He'll do several takes and just go with the one that had the most "variety"

I fucking knew it!!!

He will always remain a mediocre composer until he changes that. Sure he is amazing at improvisation, but so is Michael Angelo Batio and that guy cant compose for shit!