You guys have gained a new fan!!

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
Man, Ive just been listening to your music lately, and it is truly wonderful. It's got all of the great things I look for in music. My name is Kirill, and I am from Kiev, Ukraine, but right now Im living in Denver, Colorado. Tears of Mortal Solitude is a great album, as is this band. Hope you guys best of luck for the future, and I will be hanging out here on this board in the future.

Also, I just read some of the biography, sounds like you guys were in a rut with that home studio. May I ask what effects you used on the vocals?!? ANy? Also, that's insane that that is where you recorded it, sounds just like my setup, and Im working on music right now as well. Who played drums on the album?!? They weren't programmed were they?!? Also, did you guys make the room of sheets and pillows for the vocal recordings or what?!?

Greetings Kirill! Welcome to the club! And...
We didn't use any effects for the vocals.
All drums were programmed by me.
And indeed we constructred something like what you describe - a tiny ( I wouldn't call it a room tho...) well, box covered with sheets and pillows for recording vocals.
Wish you good luck with all your music man!!
Cheers!

Wow, so those are programmed drums?!? Insane, they sound so great. May I ask what kind of programs and samples you guys used?!? They sound really great. Also, what are the effects of this "box"?? Did it really make such a huge difference to the sound of the vocals?!? Do you think that a small bathroom could do this just as well (was an idea I thought about for recording vocals at home)? Did this just keep them loud and clear because they were trapped in the "box", making for easier recordings, and so that you didn't have to scream so loud?!?

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Wow, so those are programmed drums?!? Insane, they sound so great. May I ask what kind of programs and samples you guys used?!? They sound really great. Also, what are the effects of this "box"?? Did it really make such a huge difference to the sound of the vocals?!? Do you think that a small bathroom could do this just as well (was an idea I thought about for recording vocals at home)? Did this just keep them loud and clear because they were trapped in the "box", making for easier recordings, and so that you didn't have to scream so loud?!?
Yep, unfortunately we din't have facilities to record real drums, so we used Roland XP-30 as a drum-machine. It was driven by midi track written in Cakewalk 9.1 and then we used several effects of Wave Lab 3.4... I guess it was like that. And as for the box, well, we have built it to prevent any disturbance of our neighbours because all vocals were recorded after 12 p.m. It also true that the "box" reduced reverberation a lot, so vocals were recorded as they are without any reflections from the walls around. It also prevented penetration of HDD sounds and curses of Omin :) That's the effect I guess.
Cheers

Cool, I really do like the sound on that album, and was just very curious. Thanks for explaining that to me.

So now Im wondering, what are the band's main influences?!? I know you guys are into Emperor, they're a great band. Who else would you say influenced the songwriting and playing on that album the most?!? I definetely hear lots of doom influences, but I dont listen to much of that.

Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Morbid Angel, Septic Flesh, Classical Music... well, what else... Emperor as you have mentioned, then some of ambient stuff like Lustmord. A bit of Coil. Also Carcass, Anathema, Metallica, Sepultura... well, we have the whole bunch of influences :) Cheers!

Sonm said:
And indeed we constructred something like what you describe - a tiny ( I wouldn't call it a room tho...) well, box covered with sheets and pillows for recording vocals.
Wish you good luck with all your music man!!
Cheers!
We called it PUNJA (russian). ...fucking great times... there were

Yeah, Ive been into Agalloch for a while now, they're great. The Mantle is one of my all time favorite albums.

Also, lately Ive been listening to Extol a lot, I dont like the band a lot, but their album Undeceived is far above average, I enjoy it very much.

Does anyone know a really great but cheap (under $100 USD) drum machine?!? I was looking at the store the other day, and there were none that were matching my price range, which sucks.

Also, one more question. Would a small walk in closet work better for vocal recordings than a larger room?!? WOuld it really make enough noticable difference to do this (just move the mic into the closet)?!?

I used to have a band. But it was composed of legos. Yeah...Death Metal Legos...we used to rock the house, until like, Bjornolimitimitarajurnalmnoir (or Berny) got melted in the insane summer heat of California...Man, I remember it like it was last year, too bad it was the year before that.