You know what sucks?

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
Buying a new CD at a record fair (Emperor "Emperor/Wrath Of The Tyrant") from some unknown CD dealer, happily returning home, putting it in the CD player, discovering that the CD player display going absolutely nuts is caused by a rather stealthy crack right in the middle of the disc where the TOC and all is (broken TOC = unreadable disc), realizing that:

1) The record fair has already closed
2) You don't have a receipt
3) You don't even know where the fuck you bought it from
4) You paid more than $16 for it
5) You can't prove to anyone that you didn't break it yourself
6) It isn't a "manufacturing error" so the record company probably won't replace it.

I mailed Candlelight a week ago or so. No answer. Bastards.

:cry:

Was the cd sealed? If not, always, always, always make sure you check the cd before purchasing it. I don't know how many times I've been in a used cd shop and had to hold off on buying a cd I really wanted because of big time scratches on the surface. If the cd was sealed, then yeah, you're pretty much screwed without a receipt.

It wasn't sealed, but it was a brand new CD and it's never happened to me before. I guess this has taught me the hard way to check CD's before I buy them, yeah.

phyre said:
It wasn't sealed, but it was a brand new CD and it's never happened to me before. I guess this has taught me the hard way to check CD's before I buy them, yeah.

Yeah, even if it feels uncomfortable, you have every right in the world to check unsealed cd surfaces before buying it. At least ya learned something, heh. :)

Erik,

Try fixing the CD. I don't know how big the crack is, but nowadays, with all these kids and the way they treat their playstation CDs, several manufacturers have come out with CD disk repair devices. You basically put it in the device, turn the handle a few times, and it fixes scratches etc.

If you know someone with an XBox or PS2, they might have one.

Learning the hard way is a bitch. And no reciept isn't worth the paper its written on, as they say.

That is really bad. :/

Never had that happen to me before either. I've gotten a few CDs and DVDs with messed up cases and ones fallen out of cases, but not something like that.

Hmm... there's a small chance of this working, but you could go back to the fairgrounds (if it is a rented place) and ask them which CD/music booths were open there. Then later find out which one it was you got the disc from and find out their permanant location and ask for a refund... Yes, small chance of it working, but it's a plan which I'd try...
Dark One said:
Yeah, even if it feels uncomfortable, you have every right in the world to check unsealed cd surfaces before buying it. At least ya learned something, heh. :)
Also check the CD booklet to see if it's complete. I always do both if I'm buying a used or open CD, as once my friend bought a used CD where half of the booklet was ripped out. :/

Wanna feel a little more comfortable? Last year, someone stole my cd case at Progpower. Good part is that there were "only" 6 cds in there, including Opeth, Lacuna Coil, Iced Earth, Sentenced among others... That's really upsetting. I've already replaced them, but still.. got me pretty pissed off...

Good to hear that.. just let me know what ur room number will be and what time the party will start =) LOL
It'll be hard to party at the Super 8, so I'll end up at the granada anyway...