You laugh, you lose...

12887246426211.jpg

s

If this guy was working at my local pizza store, I would eat pizza every day...

I'd rather have the people handling my food be clean, but thats just me. Funny though, guy looks like he's in his mid-20s and he works for minimum wage part time, doing a job a pole could do.

BUT HES SO METAL THATS COOOL LLLOLOLOLOL

Liechtenstein, under increasing scrutiny for its role as a leading offshore tax haven, has promised to partly lift the veil of secrecy shrouding billions of dollars held there by wealthy American clients and corporations.
Skip to next paragraph
Liechtenstein Police, via European Pressphoto Agency

Heinrich Kieber provided information on bank clients.

Liechtenstein, a tiny Alpine country, will now in limited circumstances turn over to United States investigators the bank records of American clients suspected of tax evasion. The agreement also covers questionable uses of a tactic, known as transfer pricing, that is widely employed by multinational American corporations to lower their tax bills.

But there is a catch: the agreement covers only clients who are already being investigated or prosecuted for tax evasion in the United States. That hurdle makes it unlikely that Liechtenstein will open the flood gates to foreign tax authorities, who are laboring to uncover the identities of suspected tax cheats. Unlike Liechtenstein and neighboring Switzerland, which make a distinction between tax evasion and tax fraud, the United States considers them to be the same thing, and both to be crimes. Only tax fraud is a criminal offense in Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

That catch led some tax authorities to call the agreement window-dressing. “It doesn’t do anything,” said Jack A. Blum, an authority on offshore fraud. “They’re offering to give up what we already know.”

Liechtenstein is one of three European countries — the other two are Monaco and Andorra — that have been put on a blacklist by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development as uncooperative tax havens where clients park assets to evade taxes in their home countries.

The agreement, to be signed next Monday in Vaduz, Liechtenstein’s capital, comes after growing scrutiny of the country by investigators in the United States, Germany and elsewhere in Europe after the theft in 2002 of confidential client data by a former employee at the LGT Group, a financial behemoth owned and run by Liechtenstein’s royal family.

The employee, Heinrich Kieber, provided the data to tax authorities in Britain, Germany and the United States, which contend it details billions of dollars of tax evasion by 1,400 LGT clients, including 150 in the United States.

A spokesman for the embassy of Liechtenstein in Washington, Matthew J. Keller, said Thursday that the agreement did not affect its commitment to preserving Swiss-style banking secrecy. “Privacy will continue to be protected under this agreement,” he said. “There’s a lot of criteria that the U.S. side has to meet before the information is shared.” He added that one requirement would be for United States investigators to prove they have already obtained significant information, including names and allegations, of those suspected of tax evasion.

The deal will run for two years and starts in 2010, which could give federal prosecutors time to prepare criminal cases against clients whose details were provided by Mr. Kieber, whose lawyer is Mr. Blum. The Internal Revenue Service has names of other LGT clients as well.

Mr. Kieber’s data has already dragged prominent names into the spotlight. In July, an investigation by United States authorities exposed a top LGT client, Peter Lowy, an Austrian real estate billionaire.

In February, German authorities used Mr. Kieber’s data to raid the home of Klaus Zumwinkel, a leading corporate figure and the former chief of Germany’s postal system.